Post GF. MAGNIFICENT PIES WIN PREMIERSHIP ! - all comments

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

jack_spain

Post by jack_spain »

woods4eva wrote:My dad was a crows fan - dont hold that against him - he always said that he would follow the Pies if they went further in the finals than Adelaide. This year at age 87 illness beset him but he still had that spirit and verve to share a joke. Early on the Sunday morning after the drawn GF he passed away - he somehow knew that this was going to be our year - at the SA Magpies function last saturday I had him beside me cheering every goal, every bump and I toasted him well after the match.......
Very touching story. Condolences.

So glad you enjoyed every minute of our great win.
fence-banger

Post by fence-banger »

A beautiful tale woods4eva, thanks for sharing. Respect.
Side by side we Stick together
The_Staunton

Post by The_Staunton »

fence-banger wrote:[quote="The_Staunton"]My Dad, who isn't of our faith but has seen Premierships, patted me on the back sometime after Wellinghams last 1/4 goal and said "enjoy it - it's part of history now"...

I picked Collingwood from a Footy Record Ladder while sitting at Penguin Footy Oval when I was 4 and barely 3 weeks into living in Australia. No one knows why - may have had something to do with my soccer team St Mirren wearing black and white stripes. But we don't know. Everyone else in Penguin we knew was an Essendon supporter.

I remember sitting in a front garden in despair when Essendon won a Premiership on my birthday. I remember going to bed at 5 in the afternoon in tears when Akermanis stole the 02 flag. So many bad players. So many bad moments, wandering around weddings and parties getting stick for so many Collingwood failures. So many sneery Robert Walls articles, so many Sunday Footy Show "enquiries", so many stupid e-mailed jokes...

Mostly, I know remember where I was when I felt it turn. 73-61 down to Geelong, sitting in the Ponsford thinking "not AGAIN", Round 19 this year, 8 minutes to go in the 3rd...first Johnson, then Cloke, then Thomas, then Beams...goals galore...the first time I've not felt afraid of, say, what a Dunstall or Ablett or Aker or Ablett or Riewoldt etc could do to us. THEY had to be afraid of us...I could feel it in in their fans...a great moment...

This Premiership has made all those days sitting in front of the TV yelling at Craig Kelly or Mark McGough or Richard Cole or (I'm sorry!) Ben Reid or whoever was copping it worthwhile...

I wish I could go back and tell that kid, one day, it'll all be worth it!

World Champions...
Staunton, even though our life stories are different, they're also the same ... well said, I know exactly where you're coming from ...

I was born a drop-kick (from Vicky Park!) and wear that as a badge of honour.

1970 crushed me, the John Greening incident in 72, the losing finals & esp the GFs so many too many, the colliwobbles & the bitter taunting from others who seemed to have so much invested in our pain ...

I too wish I could go back in time and say to myself ... don't worry & fret so much ... it will happen ... yes 2 now in my lifetime, and I feel so at peace.[/quote]

The last line is so true! I thought for many years I'd want to smite our enemies and get back and everyone who ever mocked us...

Since they've scuttled away - meh. I'm good! Bring it on!
We just got nutted at the clearances...
kambarker

Post by kambarker »

Surreal!!

Amazing!!
kam
BBHS
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by BBHS »

I keep thinking about Nathan Brown and how he showed speed and jumping ability I never new he had. These 2 games he played I will never forget, he is the one bloke who's game is sticking out for me so much.

I guess mostly because I was worried the Albino would play a blinder and was watching the matchup very carefully. How many times did he beat him 1 on 1 or bring the ball to ground. Just amazing
Two_Pies

Post by Two_Pies »

I will be forever indebted to .......

Derek Hine

Thankyou Sir Derek for bringing all those young guns to the Collingwood Football Club 8) 8) 8)
Let all your troubles be forgot for we are Collingwood. We'll fight it out until the end we're Collingwood. So help me Jock.
Two pies and two beers thanks!!
swooper
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by swooper »

Darren Jolly: " ...No disrespect to Sydney but the following we have here is unbelievable. The noise and support they give to the players is really lifting. It was bloody awesome, he chant. Collingwood supporters get bagged for how passionate they are but geez, it was bloody awesome. It really lifts the boys" :D :D
orie
Been liked: 1 time

2010 premiers

Post by orie »

Never did I think that I would actually SEE my beloved Collingwood win the flag. Simply because I thought I couldn't be soo lucky.Having made a big mess of buying tickets on Monday, a mistake that has cost me a friendship, my friends and I were not going to the grand Final. Then late Friday afternoon, my son called to say that he had managed to find 2 tickets for me and my husband.
With a mixture if emotions and a big degree of sadness for my friends , we sat in the second row on level N. Fantastic seats but surrounded by the AFL suits. Needless to say, they were there to see a saints win. In excitement and joy i would leap to my feet on occasions as they sat, indifferent to the frenzy around the ground. I really missed my madpie friends. We had shared the year together and on the most important day, we were all apart. Thank God for AAMI park and the wonderful atmosphere, where I caught up with some of my friends. It was a wonderful way to celebrate with the crowd and to see the boys on the stage was soo much fun.
After all, it was about the boys and the determination and belief that the whole club maintained, that has made a dream come true.
THANKYOU

THE PARTY PIES 2010
'MADE IT LEGENDARY'
The_Staunton

Post by The_Staunton »

For those who haven't seen it, I thought I'd share this quote from Dane Swans Twitter Account for posterity...
Rapt for maxy hudgton. Gets a flag. You deserve it. Legend. Haha whoever sacked him.
BRILLIANT...
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

swooper wrote:Darren Jolly: " ...No disrespect to Sydney but the following we have here is unbelievable. The noise and support they give to the players is really lifting. It was bloody awesome, he chant. Collingwood supporters get bagged for how passionate they are but geez, it was bloody awesome. It really lifts the boys" :D :D
When did Jolly say that?
I am Da Man
The_Staunton

Post by The_Staunton »

Dave The Man wrote:
swooper wrote:Darren Jolly: " ...No disrespect to Sydney but the following we have here is unbelievable. The noise and support they give to the players is really lifting. It was bloody awesome, he chant. Collingwood supporters get bagged for how passionate they are but geez, it was bloody awesome. It really lifts the boys" :D :D
When did Jolly say that?
http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/now ... 5.html#top
Wackcat

Post by Wackcat »

So many great stories on here, so much happiness in my heart.
The first time in my life i felt a burden so large lift from my shoulders. Its a feeling I will take with me forever.
Being part of this Collingwood family is like nothing words can do justice to. Hugging and kissing complete strangers who you could see felt the same inner joy in their hearts last saturday was a moment I think we all felt.

We are premiers and it feels so good!
Never doubt us, ever....
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

Two_Pies wrote:I will be forever indebted to .......

Derek Hine

Thankyou Sir Derek for bringing all those young guns to the Collingwood Football Club 8) 8) 8)
I spoke to Derek at the club function. He shook his hand and told him he should be very proud of his efforts and he deserved a huge amount of credit for what we had achieved.
He was chuffed.
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

I grew up living in Malaysia until 1983 because Dad was posted overseas for 15 years. I remember trying to listen to the game every weekend on the shortwave radio, not knowing which game they would broadcast and occasionally it was a pharking NRL game.
The transmission was hard to hear but it didn't stop me week in week out.
The only game I got to see each year was the GrandFinal on a recorded VHS which we seemed to play in every year.

Now, rarely an hour goes by without me thinking of the pies (even in the off season). It is an obsession.
Many have said last week was a relief for them.
For me it was pure unadulterated joy.
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
collie dog

Post by collie dog »

My son was a baby in the 1990 final so this is the first one for him it was fantastic to see him relish the win almost as much as me....FANTASTIC WIN :lol:
Rain or hail, I wag my tail