Football media (press / radio / commentators et al)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Robbie

Is there anyone worse than Bruce McAvaney on the Microphone

Post by Robbie »

I live in the ACT so most of the matches I watch on Fox, therefore I don't have to put up with Bruce that often. That being the case, the biggest home and away game each year, ANZAC day, uses a combination of commentators.

Does any member know whether McAvaney barracks for Essendon, or is his biased drivel more to do with him hating Collingwood. The one sided rubbish eminating from McAvaney's mouth was so provocative the sound had to be turned off at our house to ensure the TV's safety. I want to know who suggested his nickname "The Accurate One" because they need urgent psychological help.
Happiness is being a Collingwood Football Club Member! Euphoria is watching the Pies win the Premiership!
DT56

Post by DT56 »

Robbie I also live in the ACT but I think you need to understand that the broadcasting rights now allow for ALL games to be shown live on FOX anywhere in Australia.

FOX will use the ch7 feed (inferior quality) when the game is also shown on FTA ... hence you get McAvaney and Comeitti.

The ANZAC day clash was a ch7 feed
DT56

Post by DT56 »

I generally dont mind Bruce as he has an extensive knowledge of sport but I do agree that his commentary on ANZAC day was slanted towards essendon
tommo

Post by tommo »

Hamish 'My brother is a big shot at 7 so I got a job' McLachlan
Black and White - Through and Through - Side by Side - Us against Them
Hiss
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

no

Post by Hiss »

Bruthhhh is a shocker. So is the Demis Confetti. I used to love Mike Williamson or Peter Landy and Lou Richards on Sevens Big League
I love this club and I hold anyone in contempt who does not think it is worth fighting for.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

I like Bwoooce, there's a hell of a lot worse.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
cityslick1

Post by cityslick1 »

commentators like to be anti-collingwood, b/c they think they are following / pleasing the masses, including their fellow commentators. its a pack mentality thing. the worst at this were the channel ten boys, who were trying so hard to please their collingwood hating boss - Dave Barham, that it got ridiculous. Keeffe's game on the weekend was outstanding, giving Ryder and Bellchambers a hiding when they went forward, as well as starting attacks. Do you think they gave him much credit for it... not a chance. Bruce: "Keeffe did ok there...". Now if it were an Essendon player with a handful of games who was shutting down Cloke, we would not have heard the end of it.

That isnt the worst thing about Bruce's commentary though... he has slowly lost the plot. Even Cometti and Lethal are embarrassed by it and often change the subject... Bruce in the first quarter "Gee there was a funny bounce like that down that end two years ago in a grand final" Who cares. Bruce in the last quarter: "Gee 10.14 to Collingwood, thats a famous score for St Kilda & their last premiership..." who gives a sh*t Bruce, call the f**king game youre watching... its tight and its the biggest H&A game of the year.

Not to mention the endless amount of meaningless stats and info about players liking dogs, Lethal always having soft feet and players being delicious.

His campness and obsession with meaningless info has made him almost unbearable to listen to...
Cuthbert Collingwood

Post by Cuthbert Collingwood »

Bruce gets too excited, and his recent habit of trying to outdo Cometti with Commeti-isms gives me the shits - but he's still better than half the knobrotters out there
McRae for Governor-General!
Sore loser

Post by Sore loser »

Simple answer...NO
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Bruce mentioning his lust for Buddy in our game was embarrassing. If any hetero commentator made a similar remark about any female, they would be chased out of commentating, but Bruce's homoerotic desires are deemed acceptable. Go figure!
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Donny
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Donny »

Yes. Matthew Campbell - by a country mile.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Donny wrote:Yes. Matthew Campbell - by a country mile.
I raise you Dwayne Russell.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

stui magpie wrote:
We have WINNER

click here to find out what you have won
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

stui magpie wrote:
He is the Biggest Idiot Calling Footy
I am Da Man
rocketronnie

Post by rocketronnie »

What'sinaname wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
We have WINNER

click here to find out what you have won
Not so fast! I trump both of you with ANTHONY HUDSON. Nasty little Geelong person he is. More hysterical than Russell, more objectionable than Campbell, hates Collingwood 110% and rejoices like no other when he calls a losing Collingwood game....
"Only the weak believe that what they do in battle is who they are as men" - Thomas Marshall - "Ironclad".