Nth Melb request AFL "Ban opposition theme song totally

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Collingwood 4 eternity

Nth Melb request AFL "Ban opposition theme song totally

Post by Collingwood 4 eternity »

Nth Melbourne put a request to the AFL that the theme song of the team that they are playing , not be played at all at their home games

Both upon opposition teams entry to the ground or if they were to defeat the Kangaroos , would be no opposition theme song played.

The AFL told the Kangaroos where to go.
1990 Grand Final :
"From the back pocket, this will be probably the last kick, he need not even kick it, the drought is over. 32 years they've waited, let the celebrations begin" Sandy Roberts
Albert Parker

Post by Albert Parker »

Odd request. Worry about the big things Kangaroos, like how you'll ever avoid receiving handouts to stay in the comp.
One team, one dream - the Pies and this year's premiership
MagpieBat

Post by MagpieBat »

Think they should worry about making sure their own song is playing after a game first...
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am MagpieBat.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

What a Pack of Idiots.
I am Da Man
Collingwood 4 eternity

Post by Collingwood 4 eternity »

North Melbourne has failed in its quest to have opposition theme songs banned from its home games

news.com.au

THE AFL has quickly rejected a proposal from North Melbourne that home teams no longer play the opposition theme song before or after games to create a more "hostile environment" and maximise home-ground advantage.
Under the proposal, the away team would be simply introduced by a ground announcer before the home team entered the stadium as the club song was played.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/north- ... 6858410728
1990 Grand Final :
"From the back pocket, this will be probably the last kick, he need not even kick it, the drought is over. 32 years they've waited, let the celebrations begin" Sandy Roberts
Hiss
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Yes

Post by Hiss »

Dave The Man wrote:What a Pack of Idiots.
Totally agree Dave. But I don't want opposition club songs played at our home games. It is offensive and rude. How about Clubs respect our traditions and values and refrain from provocative behaviour like this.

North are a piss ant Club that have no rights. Their song should be banned even if they win.
I love this club and I hold anyone in contempt who does not think it is worth fighting for.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

if it didn't happen and nobody saw it not happen ... cos that is the most likely scenario.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Holbrook Bloke

Post by Holbrook Bloke »

I think there's some merit in only playing the home side's song. It emboldens their supporters and pisses off the away mob. But song of the winning side, be it home or away, must always be played.
Jonno
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club (Est 2003)

Camelia Grove Hotel - The best AFL pub in Sydney all season, not just the finals.
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

I agree with the Roos. Should not have to play their theme song after teh game if teh opposition wins. It's OUR home game. It's bad enough every ground is freakin' neutral and has no home ground Magpie feel to it, but do we have to applaud the oppositon by playing their song? It's rubbish. I'm so envious of Geelong and their set-up. Hopefully we can develop our own Magpie Nest one day. It's a big reason why crowds drop off with live TV. There's no sense of 'home' or black and white ness. Anyone who has travelled overseas to teh NBA, NFL, will attest to this. It's an EXPERIENCE like no ther to be surrounded entirely by home team paraphernalia. The AFL is beige enough ... neutral grounds in Melbourne ruin the home team experience.
Est. 2002
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

North argue it is AFL coming into line with other competitions do around the globe (aka Baseball and NFL).

I have a question....why do we have to come into line with what other sports do globally? Is anything wrong with our sport doing it our own way? ...i do get a tad worried by the amount of time our heads of staff spend in North America looking for ideas. It is not the bastion of all sporting tradition.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
GreekLunatic
Been liked: 15 times

Post by GreekLunatic »

since when have north become so relevant to request something like that
MattyD

Post by MattyD »

:lol:

is this for real??
MattyD

Post by MattyD »

They do bring up a good point though.
When Victorian clubs play each other at Etihad or MCG there is no real home game advantage.
I think this brings up a bigger issue of keeping traditions. Something the AFL does not give two hoots about. Just look at what they've done to cheer squads.
I thought it was clever the way Hawthorn had a dozen or so massive flags being waved around the boundary line when their team came out in their home game against us last year. Simple but impressive. Oh and was it Melbourne who had all the drummers? That was cool.
Clubs need to be more creative, I think. And the AFL needs to let them.
But unfortunately I get the feeling our club doesn't really listen to its supporters or give two shoots about them either. Seriously.
We do need to make home games feel more like home games. I've been saying it for years. But banning the opposition song is just disrespectful and totally moronic to even ask. good one north lol
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

derkd wrote:North argue it is AFL coming into line with other competitions do around the globe (aka Baseball and NFL).

I have a question....why do we have to come into line with what other sports do globally? Is anything wrong with our sport doing it our own way? ...i do get a tad worried by the amount of time our heads of staff spend in North America looking for ideas. It is not the bastion of all sporting tradition.
Yeah let's fall in line with soccer. Scrap the salary cap and relegate north to the amateurs where they belong.
Buon Giorno