Bombers look pretty good.

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Bob Sugar

Bombers look pretty good.

Post by Bob Sugar »

3 debutants, a 20 year old FF, massive doubts over the future of some of their list, brand new coach, what did they do? They won, and they looked pretty bloody good in doing so.

Now I'm not comparing their problems to the problems Bucks has BTW, no coach in the history of the game has inherited a list like Bucks got, the list he inherited had a % of 180 and lost 3 games the previous year, they were very young though, obviously that hurt us :(
Last edited by Bob Sugar on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Foot skills make a big difference.
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

Daniel wrote:Foot skills make a big difference.
Coaching skills too.
Defender...........

You like this.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Do you think we've got coaching issues?
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Correct me if Im wrong, but hasn't the dons done this sorta thing the last two years, started out a million miles and hour, won their first six games by heaps, then died in the arse later in the year. I recall last years Anzac day, the smashed us, but later in the year, we beat them very well. sure they made the finals, but they wont win a flag with the likes of chapman, goddard, fletcher, and hot and colds like zarkaris, carlisle, ryder etc. This is nothing new, the dons always start at a cracking pace, then run outa gas at the pointy end, its part of their resume.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
MagpieBat

Post by MagpieBat »

Piesnchess wrote:Correct me if Im wrong, but hasn't the dons done this sorta thing the last two years, started out a million miles and hour, won their first six games by heaps, then died in the arse later in the year. I recall last years Anzac day, the smashed us, but later in the year, we beat them very well. sure they made the finals, but they wont win a flag with the likes of chapman, goddard, fletcher, and hot and colds like zarkaris, carlisle, ryder etc. This is nothing new, the dons always start at a cracking pace, then run outa gas at the pointy end, its part of their resume.
Don't discount grey power. Chapman, Fletcher and Goddard are still playing some pretty good football. They could conceivably be part of an Essendon premiership side in the next year or two (or in Fletcher's case, a century from now...)

Incidentally, Chapman's revival in particular makes for an interesting case study:

Geelong clear out 3 best 22 premiership veterans over the age of 30 (Chapman, Podsiadly, Hunt). 3 clubs pay good currency to pick them up on the belief that they still have good football left in them and can play a role.

Collingwood clear out 3 best 22 calibre players over the age of 30 (Didak, Jolly, Krakouer), 2 of them being premiership players. No club out of the other 17, not even Carlton and their bitter coach, pick them up.

Early days yet, but the initial signs show that, on these particular players, Buckley (and Hine) got the hard calls right.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Piesnchess wrote:Correct me if Im wrong, but hasn't the dons done this sorta thing the last two years, started out a million miles and hour, won their first six games by heaps, then died in the arse later in the year. I recall last years Anzac day, the smashed us, but later in the year, we beat them very well. sure they made the finals, but they wont win a flag with the likes of chapman, goddard, fletcher, and hot and colds like zarkaris, carlisle, ryder etc. This is nothing new, the dons always start at a cracking pace, then run outa gas at the pointy end, its part of their resume.
They have to cycle off the gear before round 1 :lol:
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

You're spot on mate, I parlayed 3 horses at the Valley into the dons tonight for that very reason! 2 of em got up (one for the place) and I needed the hot pot solicit to win, but of course she was given one of the better rides of all time (sarcastic) which cost me the bet :(

Seriously though mate, I think the dons earn't a bit of credit last year, their best was clearly better than ours.
Defender...........

You like this.
courtza

Post by courtza »

Hey Defender, what you reckon if Bombers dont take Hirdy back we get him and Dank over to take over from Bucks, Essendon had a really good year last year, we need some of that good coaching at Collingwood
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

If we added Neeld to that mix I don't see any issues TBH.

But, if you had half a brain in your melon you'd realise you're actually making my point more valid, how do ya like them apples bro?
Defender...........

You like this.
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

IMO Bucks "could" be sacked within 5 weeks, well 6 weeks, and TBH I think he will be, we're in big trouble guys, I'm tipping we're 0-5. Possibly 0-6, if that happens he goes then, not end of year. IMO.

I'd rather give the replacement as much time as possible to prepare for 2015.

And yes I'll be called a retard etc etc, I'll be reminded of seasons past, but in seasons past we actually had a proven coach.

We currently have 3 recent AA mid fielders.

3 AA defenders of you count Maxy.

An AA KF.

And we have a pretty strong entourage supporting those guys.

I'm pretty sure most coaches would kill to coach a list like ours.

FFS, Port beat is twice last year, in theory their midfield bends over and self lubes at the very sight of our mids, you'd at least back our mids against the GC right? Especially with a top 4 spot on the line, nah.

Would have been nice not to have the GWS game go deep into the last qtr either.

But I know I know, poor bucks, let's give him an extension, I'm not even going to mention the scoreless qtrs or the spread legs defence we've adopted, we're a damn rabble and I take no pleasure in saying that.

Rant ended.
Defender...........

You like this.
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

Defender wrote:
You're spot on mate, I parlayed 3 horses at the Valley into the dons tonight for that very reason! 2 of em got up (one for the place) and I needed the hot pot solicit to win, but of course she was given one of the better rides of all time (sarcastic) which cost me the bet :(

Seriously though mate, I think the dons earn't a bit of credit last year, their best was clearly better than ours.

True, all true, but our blokes weren't on the Mexican cactus juice were they. :P 8)
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Getting chapman was a great move, especially with young Joe learning his trade. Inspired move by bomber who is a far better coach than Hird or Buckley.
Buon Giorno
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Re: Bombers look pretty good.

Post by think positive »

Defender wrote:3 debutants, a 20 year old FF, massive doubts over the future of some of their list, brand new coach, what did they do? They won, and they looked pretty bloody good in doing so.

Now I'm not comparing their problems to the problems Bucks has BTW, no coach in the history of the game has inherited a list like Bucks got, the list he inherited had a % of 180 and lost 3 games the previous year, they were very young though, obviously that hurt us :(
Hahahahahahaha

Brand new coach hey? The facade is gone, hes been their coach for the last 2 years! Probably had chappy lined up to

Credit where due though, its a very original way to start a new sack Bucks thread

Nothing changes the fact half that team should not be on the field, if anyone really wants a level playing field. Cheats be cheats be cheats, that will be this teams legacy. Happy to see thompson tarred with that brush too! But thats just the mean me talking
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!