Australian entertainer arrested in Jimmy Savile case

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Just because you don't know what a paedophile IS, doesn't make any other correct term 'softer'.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Pies4shaw wrote:He'll be out in late 2016, if he lives that long.

On a completely separate issue, it surprises me that the only "scalp" from this broad-ranging investigation is a foreigner. Looks to me like a sacrificial offering to assuage the British entertainment industry's collective guilt and shame for turning a blind eye to or actively condoning such behaviour on a widespread basis for the past half-century.
Hardly just a "British" problem, I'm pretty sure if you searched through the entertainment industry (singers actors sports champs) and indeed the general public you'd find plenty of it, protected child abusers from an era where there was no where to go for help and no one to believe you.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

David wrote:A fair verdict, I think, all things considered.
Nope no where near enough

Age or distance from the crime should not matter

Should have got 10 years min, and it's far too late for good behaviour, he had that chance

With a guilty plea I'd go softer but only because the victims would truly have that vindication they should have

May he rot in hell
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

think positive wrote:

On a completely separate issue, it surprises me that the only "scalp" from this broad-ranging investigation is a foreigner. Looks to me like a sacrificial offering to assuage the British entertainment industry's collective guilt and shame for turning a blind eye to or actively condoning such behaviour on a widespread basis for the past half-century.
Hardly just a "British" problem, I'm pretty sure if you searched through the entertainment industry (singers actors sports champs) and indeed the general public you'd find plenty of it, protected child abusers from an era where there was no where to go for help and no one to believe you.
Not just a British problem but you can't help but be bemused that after a thoroughgoing trawl through the underbelly of their entertainment industry they've managed to prosecute an Australian.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

I think it's pretty clear when you go back and review the actual offences that he's not a paedophile.

Considering that the "groping" was decades ago there's potentially be some very nervous blokes reading about this case.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:I think it's pretty clear when you go back and review the actual offences that he's not a paedophile.

Considering that the "groping" was decades ago there's potentially be some very nervous blokes reading about this case.
Not a bad thing
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Not really surprised by the sentencing despite personally thinking it was too light to be honest but with the factors of age and apparent health problems, the sentence shouldn't come as a shock to many in my opinion.

He'll be out within half of his sentence so I think that's approximately 2 years 11.5 months if my math serves me correctly. Therefore he'll be released at around May 2017 presuming he's still alive by then.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆

Post by 1061 »

think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:I think it's pretty clear when you go back and review the actual offences that he's not a paedophile.

Not a bad thing
Not a bad thing at all to have them shaking in their boots, but much more importantly there are some 30yo+ ladies who are thinking they can say something and there's a huge chance they will be believed.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Agreed, 1061 and TP. I think things have definitely changed for the better.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Good points by TP and 1061
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Pies4shaw wrote:
think positive wrote:

Not just a British problem but you can't help but be bemused that after a thoroughgoing trawl through the underbelly of their entertainment industry they've managed to prosecute an Australian.
Actually there have been a series of high-profile court cases involving British entertainment figures, and several have been jailed. The most significant is Max Clifford, but this does not get reported in the Australian press, as few Australians would know who they were. The thing that is most shocking in Rolf's case is the disparity between his public persona and his private actions. Australian stories often portray the British as evil, manipulative schemers against the innocent frontier, as do the Americans ; it's a post-colonial thing, I presume, but one that would be better left by the wayside.
Last edited by Mugwump on Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two more flags before I die!
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Doesn't it?
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Mugwump wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
think positive wrote: Hardly just a "British" problem, I'm pretty sure if you searched through the entertainment industry (singers actors sports champs) and indeed the general public you'd find plenty of it, protected child abusers from an era where there was no where to go for help and no one to believe you.
Actually there have been a series of high-profile court cases involving British entertainment figures, and several have been jailed. The most significant is Max Clifford, but this does not get reported in the Australian press, as few Australians would know who they were. The thing that is most shocking in Rolf's case is the disparity between his public persona and his private actions. Australian stories often portray the British as evil, manipulative schemers against the innocent frontier, as do the Americans ; it's a post-colonial thing, I presume, but one that would be better left by the wayside.
Thanks for that Mugwump. There has been little in the media here about anyone other than Harris and Savile. Following this up, Stuart Hall's transgressions seem to have had some similarities with Harris' and he is also serving jail time.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Not so clear, actually ; It was revealed after the trial that they had found multiple images on Rolf's computer with clearly paedophilic imagery, though it's unclear what age the models were. The Crown prosecution service do not intend to bring the case, given the success of the case already brought, but it looked very damning. This has been in all of the major UK broadsheets, so it's not just net defamation. Given the distance from the crime, the fact that the imprisonment can only be retributive, not reforming or protective, I think 5-6 years (ie effectively three) is about right.
Two more flags before I die!