Varcoe may join Collingwood in three-way deal

All trade and draft talk here thanks..... this means you DTM!!!!

Moderator: bbmods

Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

Buckley and Hine still searching ror that light bodied, running type who can kick well: Seedsman, Young, Armstrong, Varcoe ... any chance we can grow ONE into a gun in teh Isaac Smith, Polec mould?
Est. 2002
Domesticated_Ape

Post by Domesticated_Ape »

Raw Hammer wrote:Buckley and Hine still searching ror that light bodied, running type who can kick well: Seedsman, Young, Armstrong, Varcoe ... any chance we can grow ONE into a gun in teh Isaac Smith, Polec mould?
Bird Seedsman is home grown. If he can get fit, he could really take off next season.

In fact I reckon he'll be flying by about round 15 or so.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Domesticated_Ape wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:Buckley and Hine still searching ror that light bodied, running type who can kick well: Seedsman, Young, Armstrong, Varcoe ... any chance we can grow ONE into a gun in teh Isaac Smith, Polec mould?
Bird Seedsman is home grown. If he can get fit, he could really take off next season.

I agree. Really hope the Seed along with Freeman, Broomhead, and Kennedy should be keeping the Armstrong, Young, and (as appears likely) Varcoe types out of the senior side which begs the question.... why recruit (more of) them.
Domesticated_Ape

Post by Domesticated_Ape »

jackcass wrote:
Domesticated_Ape wrote:

I agree. Really hope the Seed along with Freeman, Broomhead, and Kennedy should be keeping the Armstrong, Young, and (as appears likely) Varcoe types out of the senior side which begs the question.... why recruit (more of) them.
It's a fair point. I wouldn't like to see Varcoe keep Seedsman, Broomhead or Kennedy out of the 22, even if he is in better form.

Freeman is still developing and I think the plan is to turn him into a genuine midfielder. I only expect him to play about 8-12 games next year, at best. So he's probably not competing for the same spots as the others.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Said it before and will say it again. Seedsman will be a gun. Just needs a free run at it with no injuries. Will develop into a starting mid
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

I'm not so sure about Seedsman. IMO he lacks defensive skills & misses too many shots for goal.

Having said that he is quite young & inexperienced & who knows minus the injuries & with a preseason + some gym work. Hopefully he does really well next season.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

jackcass wrote:
Domesticated_Ape wrote:

recruit for depth and create competition for spots. who knows at this stage what is in store for varcoe.
Last edited by John Wren on Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Damien wrote:Said it before and will say it again. Seedsman will be a gun. Just needs a free run at it with no injuries. Will develop into a starting mid
I'm a fan.

I was hesitant at first as he was a little.............outside but he's shown me some big improvement in that area.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Rather a three way with Palmer and Lambie.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

John Wren wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Domesticated_Ape wrote: Bird Seedsman is home grown. If he can get fit, he could really take off next season.

recruit for depth and create competition for spots. who knows at this stage what is in store for varcoe.
Having depth is one thing, recruiting for depth another. We already have Young whose 28, Armstrong whose 25, so if you are going to recruit for depth then a <22 year old would be logical. An 18 year old via the draft even better. How does Varcoe help that?
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

jackcass wrote:
John Wren wrote:
jackcass wrote: I agree. Really hope the Seed along with Freeman, Broomhead, and Kennedy should be keeping the Armstrong, Young, and (as appears likely) Varcoe types out of the senior side which begs the question.... why recruit (more of) them.
Having depth is one thing, recruiting for depth another. We already have Young whose 28, Armstrong whose 25, so if you are going to recruit for depth then a <22 year old would be logical. An 18 year old via the draft even better. How does Varcoe help that?
look at the age of those who have left. varcoe is experienced, has maturity, has been in a good system and would know how to prepare himself. we wouldn't have too many in his age bracket.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Let's see what the deal is first. Varcoe has some attributes that we need and is not a terrible signing.
Well done boys!
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

John Wren wrote:
jackcass wrote:
John Wren wrote: recruit for depth and create competition for spots. who knows at this stage what is in store for varcoe.
look at the age of those who have left. varcoe is experienced, has maturity, has been in a good system and would know how to prepare himself. we wouldn't have too many in his age bracket.
So it's be kind to pensioner week at Pieland....

Still rather see a kid given a crack. Didn't hurt Langdon this season and he'll be even better in 2015 for the exposure. Got a heap of others who need to start racking up games if we want to see them develop. Giving these dodgy recruits senior games reduces the exposure the kids get.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

he's only 26. can get a few years out of him. how many in the 24-28 year old category do we have?

am happy to reserve judgement. i am ok with him joining us.
CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

If he is getting any more than a 2 year 300k deal - ill spew up !