Pro and Con's of 2014 Trade Week

All trade and draft talk here thanks..... this means you DTM!!!!

Moderator: bbmods

Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Pro and Con's of 2014 Trade Week

Post by Dave The Man »

I am Da Man
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Yep, that covers it quite succinctly without we shoulda, coulda...

Sums it up well DTM.

Imagine if Crisp fills out & kicks better & throw in Marsh - looking forward that makes us very fast & strong in terms of leg speed.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Albert Parker

Post by Albert Parker »

Not a bad summation Dave.

I'm less convinced of the merits of Varcoe as a replacement for Lumumba though. Think we got stitched up in that trade, but hope I am wrong.
One team, one dream - the Pies and this year's premiership
stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by stoliboy »

Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

the kpi will be the number of heart in mouth moments we experience with varcoe.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

The guys on AFL.com gave us a B- which is a pretty solid score in anyone's language.

Terry Wallace has been shit canning us on trade radio and SEN. Saying it was some sort of disaster for us. His voice fair dinkum makes my ears bleed. Imagine listening to that all day. Really knows Jack shit about it as far as I'm concerned. Needs another Rod Grinter coat hanger!
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

John Wren wrote:the kpi will be the number of heart in mouth moments we experience with varcoe.
Could say the samething about Lumumba
I am Da Man
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Damien wrote:The guys on AFL.com gave us a B- which is a pretty solid score in anyone's language.

Terry Wallace has been shit canning us on trade radio and SEN. Saying it was some sort of disaster for us. His voice fair dinkum makes my ears bleed. Imagine listening to that all day. Really knows Jack shit about it as far as I'm concerned. Needs another Rod Grinter coat hanger!
i disagree with your assertion about wallace. i'd take on board his views a lot faster than the vast majority on here. ultimately, it is just one opinion in a sea of opinions. he gave us a d minus which i thought was a touch harsh but i don't think we were a b minus. dwayne russell said we had a stellar trade period. what you think of wallace is how i think of russell.

we were very much hamstrung with what we could get for beams given we only really had one team we could deal with. the giants made a mockery of stating that x player was not for trade. this showed up brisbane but they held their ground. to have considered to have done really well we needed to have secured an aish type.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Dave The Man wrote:
John Wren wrote:the kpi will be the number of heart in mouth moments we experience with varcoe.
Could say the samething about Lumumba
that's my point dave. if we don't have so many of those moments i will consider it a win.
Tannin

Re: Pro and Con's of 2014 Trade Week

Post by Tannin »

Dave The Man wrote:Crisp Feels a Need
As do we all, from time to time. ;)
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

John Wren wrote: we were very much hamstrung with what we could get for beams given we only really had one team we could deal with. the giants made a mockery of stating that x player was not for trade. this showed up brisbane but they held their ground. to have considered to have done really well we needed to have secured an aish type.
Agree with Beams only wanting to go to Lions and not even let us talk to the Suns made the Job even harder
I am Da Man
melliot

Post by melliot »

Our immediate list holes in my mind are:

1. 2nd key forward. Didn't get one. Looks like we're going back to see if Reid and White can do it. Or play two rucks.

2. Small forward. Varcoe may fill this need a little but my understanding is he is recruited to play wing. So we didn't get one. Not that there was much about.

3. Additional depth in the midfield. We got Greenwood. Reported he can't hit a barn with his kicking. So that's a concern. But he and Crisp do add depth. So a tick. But I'm not excited nor disappointed. Underwhelming I guess.

4.Lock down and Running small defenders. Not sure it's a huge need as we have plenty of young guys coming through. But an experienced player in our back 6 is really needed. And we didn't get one.

Personally i would have rathered we kept at least one of our mid 20 picks for the Draft.

But overall I feel we fell further back in the pack for next year. Didn't get a star, just some good-ordinary players. We are really hanging hopes on our existing youth to come through.

And of course pick 5, with Moore, really will be the measure of our success this trade period. You would hope we gain two A graders there which formulate key players for a premiership. In 3-6 years.
DT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by DT »

John Wren wrote:
Damien wrote:The guys on AFL.com gave us a B- which is a pretty solid score in anyone's language.

i disagree with your assertion about wallace. i'd take on board his views a lot faster than the vast majority on here. ultimately, it is just one opinion in a sea of opinions. he gave us a d minus which i thought was a touch harsh but i don't think we were a b minus. dwayne russell said we had a stellar trade period. what you think of wallace is how i think of russell.

we were very much hamstrung with what we could get for beams given we only really had one team we could deal with. the giants made a mockery of stating that x player was not for trade. this showed up brisbane but they held their ground. to have considered to have done really well we needed to have secured an aish type.
Agree. Wallace is not bad a judge but Dwayne Russell is unlistenable
Daicos, impossible angle ... Goal!
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

melliot wrote:an experienced player in our back 6 is really needed
Would you feel better if I promised you, hand on heart, that the total experience in our back half would improve rapidly in 2015? Trust me on this: every single week, even if we go in with youngsters like Frost, Keefe, Williams, Langdon, Seedsman and Sinclair, our total back half experience will increase by an amazing six games in every single round of 2015.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!