Gun laws in USA??

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

And yet almost none prior to 1970 when laws and attitudes were even more lax. It's culture, not bans that determine when shootings or massacres happen and also how a society handles its seriously mentally ill.
David

Post by David »

I'll grant you culture, but there's never just one factor in these things. Australia didn't fundamentally change in 1996, but two things did: gun ownership rates, and the frequency of mass shootings. That is either an extraordinary coincidence or else the best vindication Howard could have possibly hoped for.

You clearly think he was wrong. How would you have proposed he respond to Port Arthur, and how confident are you that your suggestion would have had an anywhere near similarly impressive effect on these rates?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

David wrote:I'll grant you culture, but there's never just one factor in these things. Australia didn't fundamentally change in 1996, but two things did: gun ownership rates, and the frequency of mass shootings. That is either an extraordinary coincidence or else the best vindication Howard could have possibly hoped for.

You clearly think he was wrong. How would you have proposed he respond to Port Arthur, and how confident are you that your suggestion would have had an anywhere near similarly impressive effect on these rates?
Where did you get that data from about gun ownership? My instinctive reaction is that it's bogus.

Edit, I realised what you were trying to say.

Yes, gun ownership reduced in 1996 with the gun buy back, but not that significantly as no one actually knows how many guns were in private hands prior to that.

The national baseline started in 1996 when people handed in some guns, registered a few others and left the rest in the wardrobe.

This is why the data shows that gun ownership has supposedly been increasing since 1996, because now they have to be registered when you purchase them and you can't just go to a blokes house, pay some cash and drive away with a bootload of guns like I could do when I was 16-17 up bush.

If you actually consider the number of firearms that were in private hands prior to when they started counting in 1996, the number of shootings, mass or otherwise, was still very low.
Last edited by stui magpie on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

I'm one who's always been on the right to have a gun side, but, open carry on campus? . Ridiculous. :shock: :?
Don't count the days, make the days count.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Skids wrote:I'm one who's always been on the right to have a gun side, but, open carry on campus? . Ridiculous. :shock: :?
If I had to go to uni these days I'd really want a gun on me.

Actually, you're right, probably a bad idea. :P :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David

Post by David »

Some epic trolling here:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016 ... n-petition

And really, on what grounds can they possibly say no, given their own arguments? Hypocrites.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

I think the last gun ban was the Secret Service's doing. Not sure who can tell them 'no'.
sixpoints

Post by sixpoints »

This gun ban is made by the venue itself.
http://www.theqarena.com/arena-info/policies
The GOP chose a venue for their National Convention that bans guns! Ridiculous decision.
How on earth can Trump, Cruz or Kasich be made safe - everyone will be disarmed and 'sitting ducks'. Kasich is Governor of Ohio, he should step in and allow free carry.

Here's the petition that asks for the arena to allow guns in to the Convention. Sign up for freedom! Protect The Donald!

https://www.change.org/p/quicken-loans- ... -in-july-2

The main points of the petition - the "fine detail" that Trump said he was unaware of are;
1. The Arena should suspend its ban on free carry of firearms.
2. The NRA should advocate so that states like Ohio don't have such loopholes
3. Kasich as Ohio Governor needs to also advocate to close such loopholes
4. Those in charge of the Republican Party who chose the venue should be immediately brought to task
5. All 3 candidates - Trump, Cruz & Kasich should now publicly push for all attending to be free to bring their firearms to the Convention.
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

What could go wrong.With every second dickhead wearing a beard and a shot is fired suddenly 10000 people shoot the nearest person looking like a muslim or a few hundred are mortally wounded in the crossfire so shoot back.
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
David

Post by David »

^ I'm not in favour of eugenics, but a shootout at the Republican convention might just improve the gene pool... :P
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Get in the middle of the crowd, yell out "Allah Akbar" as loud as you can then hit the deck. :P :wink:
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

stui magpie wrote:^

Get in the middle of the crowd, yell out "Allah Akbar" as loud as you can then hit the deck. :P :wink:
Bloody Skids - I cant hear or read that anymore - without thinking "Aloha Snackbar" :lol: :lol: :lol:
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

stui magpie wrote:^

Something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePQ9_re7f1A
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman