Another young woman assaulted and killed.

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Skids wrote:Legalise and regulate all drugs.
shoot drug dealers
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

If they're legal there wont be many drug dealers. How many people sell bootleg alcohol? I know there's a market for tobacco because of the huge taxes that are on it, but if taxes were lower there'd be no illegal market for that either.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

think positive wrote:
Skids wrote:Legalise and regulate all drugs.
shoot drug dealers
Not the dealers, the manufacturers and importers. Dealers are small change.
Wokko wrote:If they're legal there wont be many drug dealers. How many people sell bootleg alcohol? I know there's a market for tobacco because of the huge taxes that are on it, but if taxes were lower there'd be no illegal market for that either.
Nice in theory, freaking hard to do in practice.

Where do you draw the line with which drugs are legal, where you sell them and what restrictions are in place?

Ice is associated with mental illness, it messes people up. My son was an addict and he still has issues several years after. What responsible organisation would sell drugs like that to someone who already has a mental illness?

Fact is, as soon as you legalise drugs and put controls in place over manufacture and distribution, you get governments seeing revenue opportunities and wowsers wanting sales restricted so prices go up.

The middle and upper classes can indulge legally and safely while the young, unemployed and poor will be back on the black market, and don't worry, there'll be one. Cheap dangerous shit designed to get you hooked and keep you coming back til it kills you.

The Alcopop tax pushed the price of pre-mix spirits to a point where they were unaffordable for the young and unemployed, so they instead bought bottles of spirits and mixed their own, meaning the control of premix was gone and they drank more, and more quickly, or they went for cheaper options like Ice or Nangs.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Good news in part, at least her family will be spared the further trauma of a trial.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-07/ ... e/11189568
Codey Herrmann has pleaded guilty to the murder and rape of 21-year-old Arab-Israeli student Aiia Maasarwe.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Article in todays Aged.
Before he savagely attacked, raped and murdered young international student Aiia Maasarwe, Codey Herrmann’s life had its own chaotic rhythm.

Every fortnight, when his Centrelink payments came through, Herrmann bought methamphetamine and cannabis and shared them with his friends. He subsisted on croissants and chocolate milk. He slept rough. He shoplifted what he needed, including the barbecue lighter he used to light his cigarettes, and to inflict unthinkable injuries to the body of Ms Maasarwe.

And deep inside, an anger burned.
He had no explanation for why he'd done what he did, but apparently

Had he been angry?

“I think I was,” Herrmann said. “[Angry at] life in general. How everyone looked at me, and treated me.”

He told his lawyer: “I had nothing. I could achieve nothing. Even my friends made fun of me.”

“There is a core of anger in Mr Herrmann,” Mr Marsh said. “Anger at the world, and especially females.”
Had a fairly shit upbringing.
Herrmann, who is Aboriginal, was adrift from his culture and socially isolated, and his early years were marked by poverty, chaos and dysfunction.

Child protection authorities were notified of concerns for Herrmann’s welfare when he was just six months' old, after a drunken adult dropped a bottle of wine in the family home and the baby drank from it.

By the time he was 12 months old, Herrmann had been effectively abandoned by his mother, who suffered from substance abuse problems.

He was hospitalised with scabies at 17 months old, and by the time he was three authorities had received multiple notifications of drug and alcohol abuse, family violence and neglect in the family home. He suffered rotten teeth and skin problems.

By the time he started school, in the care of a foster mother, Herrmann’s severe behavioural problems had started to emerge.

He hurt other children and had difficulty forming friendships.
Yet he has no history of violence as an adult. He shows very little remorse but it's a sad state when a 21 yr old thinks being in jail is an improvement on his life.
Herrmann, who has been in custody since January, told investigators he could “only think about the things [he’d] gained” since his arrest. In jail he has a safe place to sleep, a shower and the prospect of accessing prison programs.
Add to that, 3 meals a day as I heard elsewhere.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 52wor.html

Now, don't mistake me, I'm not trying to justify what he did, make people feel sorry for him or make him out as the victim by selective quoting, he raped and murdered a young woman. An innocent. There's no excuse, no justification.

Yet, I can't hate him. I don't think he was evil or a monster despite what he did.

I think he was a messed up kid that the system failed and 2 peoples lives are ruined.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

poverty or abuse? or either.

but why do some turn left and some turn right? i wont use the evil word!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

People are different. The stuff you grow up with has an influencing effect but doesn't determine what you become, otherwise every poor kid who copped abuse would become a murderer.

a single set of ingredients in different proportions can make lots of different dishes, particularly once you mix personality and genetics into it.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Interesting quote and interesting stats, if unsurprising. I thought it was common knowledge that most violence against women occurs in the home or at the hands of someone they know whereas the violent rape murders in this thread are comparatively rare but capture headlines like a shark attack, which is another violent but comparatively rare occurrence.

Thinking back on the reactions to those incidents in this thread (without going back to read them) it wouldn't resemble that Patriarchal society referred to, and certainly no hidden agenda or conspiracy theory to make women stay home.

In Islamic societies, Yes, and I can see it happening in parts of India, but not here.

Yes, if a bloke walking at night alone gets beaten up and killed it gets reported then forgotten in 12 hours, when a Woman like in the instances in this thread gets brutally raped and murdered, the media carry it for days, there's vigils and protests because people a rightfully horrified and upset.

Society is what is is. Saying that women (or anyone) should be able to safely walk around at night alone is like saying that everyone should be able to afford to buy a home. Ideal in theory but doesn't work in practice.

The vast majority of people are basically good and will do the right thing by others, a minority aren't for a growing number of reasons including mental health and drugs.

I didn't read the article, just the quoted section, but I think the author is seriously reaching. imho.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

I don’t feel safe being out at night alone in Victoria and I’ve never felt that way before but it definitely feels like things have gotten far worse in recent years, not better.

I lived in a quiet suburban court for most of my life, never had a crime yet now cars are broken into regularly.

My grandmother recently had a fall at home and went into hospital. As she was suffering it seemed not unusual so nothing thought of it. Yet now a few months later and we can’t find her jewellery anywhere, it was worth a bit of money and she kept them in her purse. When she was found her purse was emptied over the floor and the front door was unlocked.

It now seriously makes me wonder if she was attacked by someone who broke in? This is an area that 15-20 years people could leave their front doors unlocked.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Yes Eddiesmith, sad but true and you are right. I constantly worry about my aged mum who lives alone in Melbourne. She has terrific neighbours, a very protective dog and a boarder in a flat at the back but in the middle of the night, I fear that she could be vulnerable to a horrible arsehole with bad intentions. I hope your grandmother recovers well and stays safe in future but I do get where your concerns are coming from.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

eddiesmith wrote:I don’t feel safe being out at night alone in Victoria and I’ve never felt that way before but it definitely feels like things have gotten far worse in recent years, not better.

I lived in a quiet suburban court for most of my life, never had a crime yet now cars are broken into regularly.

My grandmother recently had a fall at home and went into hospital. As she was suffering it seemed not unusual so nothing thought of it. Yet now a few months later and we can’t find her jewellery anywhere, it was worth a bit of money and she kept them in her purse. When she was found her purse was emptied over the floor and the front door was unlocked.

It now seriously makes me wonder if she was attacked by someone who broke in? This is an area that 15-20 years people could leave their front doors unlocked.
Is your grandmother not lucid enough to say what happened to her?
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

No definitely not, she thinks she’s back running the canteen at Coles and my sister works for her.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Bugger. Sounds like she won't be going home then, and it's too late to involve Police I suspect.