#1 Jay Rantall

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I was talking to a TAC development officer the other day and he had an interesting take on Rantall. He was saying some recruiters believe that players picked up from the Rebels have the potential for more upside than most other draftees. The Rebels are easily the most under resourced team in the U18 comp and by extension, possibly affords them greater scope for improvement when they are slotted into an AFL club.

The Rebels take up into the AFL is historically the lowest of all the Vic U18s feeder clubs. And F W I W. Appleby is also a former Rebel.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Woods

Post by Woods »

Many years ago there was a rumor that a Rebels player named Dean was going to sign up for the Pies.
But list management assessed him as lacking motivation and purpose, so it never happened.
Story goes that he went on to an acting career.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:I've heard good judges at the Club have said he is the most impressive kid they've ever seen come into the program.
I heard the same thing on Nicks; could be a good omen
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Confirmed delisting. Good luck to him. Could see him getting interest from another club or even us re-drafting him in the RD.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... nd-rantall
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

I recall him playing a lock-down tagging role in the final round against dopers, and doing okay?
What is the logic in this delisting AFTER giving him the #1 jumper? Seriously...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

Not sure how giving him number one makes him immune from delisting?!

He was the least impressive of all the kids.
Beware the swooping Magpie.
piedys

Post by piedys »

burnsy17 wrote:Not sure how giving him number one makes him immune from delisting?!

He was the least impressive of all the kids.
Of course it doesn't give any player magical immunity, Stevo proved that.
But it has certainly been worn by some elite players since the 70s.

Stevo abused the privilege obviously, and paid the price.

One could argue Fasolo was getting delisted before he walked to the Scum.

Point being, I think #1 is a jumper the club would only allocate to a player they expected to get sufficient longevity from?

Personally, I'd have given it to Daicos if he wanted to swap from #26.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Had some really need skills, but football isn't played on a basketball court. He looked sharp in close quarters, but turned average after that. The football nous which separates good players and AFL players wasn't there.

We see it in Wilson and Cox too.

Then again, I sometimes think Callum Brown had never kicked a footy until he got here.
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

jackcass wrote:Confirmed delisting. Good luck to him. Could see him getting interest from another club or even us re-drafting him in the RD.

To have the available spaces to use on daicos, you need to officially delist some people, so that there are legitimate open spots. We can redraft sier, Rantall, chugg if they are still available when our picks come up.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Woods wrote:Many years ago there was a rumor that a Rebels player named Dean was going to sign up for the Pies.
But list management assessed him as lacking motivation and purpose, so it never happened.
Story goes that he went on to an acting career.
Yeah I think this unknown dude was the cousin of Robert Dean who played for us on a wing in the early 70’s
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

gurugeoff wrote:
jackcass wrote:Confirmed delisting. Good luck to him. Could see him getting interest from another club or even us re-drafting him in the RD.

To have the available spaces to use on daicos, you need to officially delist some people, so that there are legitimate open spots. We can redraft sier, Rantall, chugg if they are still available when our picks come up.
Yep, exactly.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Duplicate
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

The Collingwood narrative is getting curiouser and curiouser...
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
piedys

Post by piedys »

gurugeoff wrote:

To have the available spaces to use on daicos, you need to officially delist some people, so that there are legitimate open spots. We can redraft Sier, Rantall, *chugg if they are still available when our picks come up.
We CAN, but I read that article as: thank you for your service; here's your gold watch, thanks for the memories.
And NOT as: we'll consider redrafting them [Sier, Rantall] as rookies, once we know how the national draft unfolds