Neglected heroes: The sad case of the Aust' Football HoF

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 151 times

Neglected heroes: The sad case of the Aust' Football HoF

Post by LaurieHolden »

Good read. I'm still smarting from our snub ftom the Team of the Century.

Induction into the Australian Football Hall of Fame is a great honour, but as Adam Cardosi argues, the heroes of the first sixty years of the game have been virtually ignored.

https://australianfootball.com/articles ... 2Bfame/802
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Yeah kind of thought that ever since the AFL was set up in 1990.

They cant seam to think any further back from say the 1960s or 1970s.

Never get to have a good mention and any credit given to the beginnings of the game and the actual history behind it and how it came about.

Always over looked and arroganly snubbed and ignored.

It is sad and i bet you none of the people that work at AFL will ever know the true beginnings of the game and that the fact Collingwood won 4 premierships in a row as well.

To me back then there were far better players in the first half of the century and guess what they did it for nothing.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

It's a universal thing. It takes an exceptional athlete to be recognised for his or her achievements in the first half of the 1900's.

Maybe MLB is the only sport that recognises a player (Babe Ruth), who played from 1914 - 35, as the GOAT of that sport.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

I've been talking about this for years.

It will break my heart of Thorold Merrett passes away before being inducted. But sure lets put in guys who are in their 40s or 50s and well.... weren't even that good.

And they'll start putting in AFLW players soon.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

What'sinaname wrote:It's a universal thing. It takes an exceptional athlete to be recognised for his or her achievements in the first half of the 1900's.

Maybe MLB is the only sport that recognises a player (Babe Ruth), who played from 1914 - 35, as the GOAT of that sport.
I guess there's always the ongoing saga around Joe Jackson
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!