2023 - what lies ahead + Season Fixture

The home of conversation about our Reserves team - the second best men's team in the world!

Moderator: bbmods

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 147 times

2023 - what lies ahead + Season Fixture

Post by LaurieHolden »

While wanting to believe the usual off-season optimism / hubris for the season ahead, 1 year on from returning home to head up our Academy team, Josh Fraser (hopefully being groomed for a longer term senior coaching post) will continue as Head of Development and as the Club’s VFL Coach.
Neville Jetta will support the forwards as a Development Coach and Andy Otten will work to develop the defensive line.

With a list that will have a core of players on the cusp of regular senior games (Krueger, Dean, Frampton, Macrae, McInness, Draper, Harrison, Begg, Carmichael, Wilson, Kelly, Ruscoe, Bianco, Murley, Cox & Johnson, + the new draftees), similar to the thread on the main board, should we expect a serious finals push from the VFL side for 2023?
For those closer to the squad, what realistic expectations should we then have of our VFL side? (Top 4).

I see our flag tilt over the next 4 years, will not be driven from a big signing to underpin the senior list, but from a core dozen from the VFL list to come through.
Much like in 1990, with the core of the U19's 1986 Premiership list playing critical cogs in our success.
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

Given the prospect of having Draper, McInnes, Macrae, Allan, Harrison and Dean banging on the door of senior selection by the 2nd half, it'll ensure the VFL team is going to be good to watch this season.

I've had a stab at the VFL 22.
Just for a moment ponder the VFL side, along with the VFL regulars. (re-signing of Campbell Hustwaite, Campbell Lane, Kaden Shcreiber, Liam Purcell, Jacob Booth, Vivian Blackmoore-Moore, Sam Glover + new recuits in Tom Wilson, Jed Longmire and Darragh Joyce).

It'll be interesting to see if Oscar Steene (19yo, 201cm, 90kg) or Oleg Mrakov grab the remaining supplementary spot on the senior list.
If Jetta doesn't return, Mrakov would be a good addition, but I've liked the way this young kid Steene uses his body in the ruck contests. Bodes well for an emerging ruck / fwd option.

It would appear the VFL is is as good a shape as I can remember for some time, and all coming under a new coach in Josh Fraser.

I'll make a call now and back Arlo Draper in for the Jospen Wren.

Bunghole is starting to fizz...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2023 AFL Premiers
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
LaurieHolden

2023 Smithy’s VFL and rebel VFLW fixtures

Post by LaurieHolden »

VFL and rebel VFLW seasons have been announced.

Source :
https://www.afl.com.au/fixture?Competition=7
2023 AFL Premiers
Dark Beanie

Post by Dark Beanie »

If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Dark Beanie

Post by Dark Beanie »

Games will be streamed via the VFL website and there will be a weekly podcast covering the VFL & VFLW:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/886848/vfl- ... -to-launch
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

Good to see the VFL / AFLW blended. To me that's a sensible decision, gives the teams the resources they need on match day, while giving the crowd the benefit of the twin feature.

I miss the days of the U19 & Reserves match day curtain raisers.
2023 AFL Premiers
Dark Beanie

Post by Dark Beanie »

The double headers are a good move.
Pity the first one clashes with the AFL game on Saturday.