Sub or Extended Bench?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Who would like to see an extra player on the bench rather than a sub?

Enough with this convoluted sub rule. Have five people on the bench for an entire game.
77%
I like the sub rule. I don’t want to see an extended bench.
23%

Total votes: 13

SwansWay

Sub or Extended Bench?

Post by SwansWay »

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Five interchange players, please. I can't believe they managed to find a way to backdoor the old sub rule back in after (justifiably) getting rid of it just seven years ago.

Not a massive fan of the interchange caps either, tbh. Have a feeling North fans might agree...
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

I don't mind the sub rule. 4 interchange is enough, having one spare who can come on in case of injury or used as a tactical sub with the playing coming off staying off for the game is fine with me.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

Very unfair on Norf last week and it just takes away from the sentiment of the game. Let the players play...dont let red tape dictate the game.

Solution would be to penalise the next weeks interchange amount by a factor of however much it takes to hurt and for every
interchange infraction you make the official on all sides get notified and penalties increase two fold for every interchange extra. ie if you go over
the limit by one you get penalised 10 the next week and then 20 after that etc etc.

I dont care so much for capping the interchanges but there would have to be a limit so its not farcical...probably cap it at 100..

4 and a medical sub is fine seems to work so far
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

5 on the bench with a maximum of 25 rotations per quarter.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

Like that Skids. Along my way of thinking
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

yes.

5 or even 6 on the bench with rotation limits.

Rotation limits keeps the strategic value of player usage, otherwise it would be mayhem blitzkrieg style game plans.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Two on the bench, with no rotations allowed.

I'm old school. 8)
BHPIE

Post by BHPIE »

6 on the bench , it'll make selection easier for fly
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Never liked the sub rule. It was first introduced off the back of our high rotation policy under Mick.

The AFL introduced interchange caps thinking it would reduce congestion as players would be too tired to get to every stoppage rather than being fresh because of the constant rotations.

I get the impression Fly is frustrated by it as well. He's needed to have conversations with players such as Ginnivan clearly emphasising they weren't being omitted even if the team changes said so, but rather they were being used as tactical subs. I'm sure the same would apply to WHE today.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

If they are persisting with 18 plus 4 + sub
Just call it 18 plus 5
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

I didn't like going from a starting team of 22 to 21+1 under the old sub rule because it was a backwards move and you felt as a fan you were being robbed of witnessing one of your players (often young) take to the field each game.

With 22+1 however the +1 feels like a bonus and a good way of managing a veteran or exposing a rookie to senior level.

Importantly it also helps maintain the integrity of why it was introduced in the first place and that's to aid a side who loses a player to injury early in the game.

Make it 5 on the bench then how long before coaches decry how they were disadvantaged due to injuries and want the option of a 24th player as medical substitute?

Reckon the AFL made the correct call with how they've implemented the addition of a 23rd man.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

Make is a six bench and get rid of the sub. Nice to have an even 24 players in the game. That also allows for injury contingencies.
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

AFL polled all coaches at start of season. Sub rule won.
Why I couldn’t tell you.

P.S why are we polling? Not gonna chang the rule are they?
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

A real interesting subject.
I felt today the sub rule worked bc Sidey came off early and a sub was used. (WHE ) Meaning that one club wasnt disadvantaged with player fatigue.

However if we had 5 straight interchanges on the bench ( with no sub ) then we would have been slightly penalised with Norf being able to use more fresher legs.
albeit with the same amount of rotations but they could spread the fatigue over one extra player.

Basically thats it!! So on that basis, I can see why the sub rule has been implemented.
Injuries do play a big part in our game and anything that can minimise the disadvantage when a player gets injured makes sense to me.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.