Pre-Match. Magpies v. Hawks. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

rad wrote:Maynard Frampton. IQ
Murphy. Moore. Markov
JDaicos. Mitchell. Steele
Howe. Miocek. McCreery
Elliot McStay. Hill

Cameron, JDG, NDaicos

Int: Pendles, Adams, Crisp, Ginni
Noble (sub)
Howe had one good game, yes.
But one swallow does not make a summer

Why why why why don't we give Ash a go?

I like Markov in the team, Frampton at full back
Noble must be a starter

I still fail to see why we recruited McStay, maybe the answer will come by the time of finals.
Checkers better find form and quick or lose your spot to Ash Johnson.

WHE is not in this team? WHE is a quality utility player and a certain starter.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I would be gobsmacked if Howe didn’t get selected for the finals. His marking, running and versatility is exactly what is needed to win finals. He is a big game performer who can be a game changer.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

I am sure we are watching the StKilda Hawthorn game from last week to see what StK did to win convincingly.
A StKilda fan at work tells me that they tagged Sicily. Wherever Sicily went, Sharman was there to knock the ball to ground and prevent Sicily from intercept marking. Sharman has a good jump and is also good in the air. Clearly, a plan to nullify Sicily's impact will be central.
Hill will be invaluable as a crumber with lightning speed in the forward line, so definitely will come in.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Pies2016
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I see that McRae declared the Howe shift to the forward line was six weeks in the making. I sense from those comments and the success that came with that move, that if won’t be the last time we see Howe in the forward line this year. I like the idea as long as the coaches are convinced they won’t lose much at all in the backline by shifting him forward. He can always go back again, it’s not like he doesn’t now his teammates back there.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Agreed. And it's less random than appears as much of the flexibility comes with the player himself, who has played up the ground and is a mature leader who will take on such a challange without losing rhythm. Some players can't be thrown around because they haven't matured or had that experience.

Meanwhile, few would also want a premiership more, while he's also looking as fresh as a daisy from his time recuperating.

I also suspect as others have mentioned that forward leadership is part of the story. You can see Jamie, Hilly, Ash and Coxy really benefiting from his experience and leadership smarts, allowing them to focus on their game.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
bucking awesome
Been liked: 1 time

Post by bucking awesome »

I don’t understand why everyone wants so many changes. I’ve read Sidey, Adams, Howe, mitchell, mcstay, checkers, beau, whe and even daicos should be dropped/ rested. This is crazy.

At most there will be 2 changes.

Cox out makes sense - ash to come in and mcstay and ash can help ruck. Potentially lipinski out, hill in and whe to be sub again
Painful frustrating disappointing exhilarating and unbelievably awesome. - That's a Collingwood life through and through
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

Ash and Frampton to come in.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Pies2016 wrote:I see that McRae declared the Howe shift to the forward line was six weeks in the making. I sense from those comments and the success that came with that move, that if won’t be the last time we see Howe in the forward line this year. I like the idea as long as the coaches are convinced they won’t lose much at all in the backline by shifting him forward. He can always go back again, it’s not like he doesn’t now his teammates back there.
I am glad to know that it was 6 weeks in the making, and not born of desperation. I remember MM's sudden switch of Ben Reid to the forward line, which bore amazing fruits the first time it happened, and then proved to be more and more barren in future iterations.
The memory of Ben Reid to the forward line made me very skeptical of moving Howie forward, and I am yet to be convinced. However, I am open to the possiblity, given how much respect I have for the decisions of our coaches.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

bucking awesome wrote:I don’t understand why everyone wants so many changes. I’ve read Sidey, Adams, Howe, mitchell, mcstay, checkers, beau, whe and even daicos should be dropped/ rested. This is crazy.

At most there will be 2 changes.

Cox out makes sense - ash to come in and mcstay and ash can help ruck. Potentially lipinski out, hill in and whe to be sub again
Very much agree... Coxy needs to regroup in the VFL to regain form, and Hill needs to come in. Only queries:
a) Does Frampton or AJ come in for Cox? (AJ is more aggressive, and Billy is more conservative)
b) Who comes out for Bobby Hill?
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Whatever the ultimate mix, I reckon both Hilly's pace and Ash's class have to be part of it.

I would pencil in Checkers, Jamie, Ash and Hilly to start with, and mix and match from there.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

The horrid Hawks are nowhere near the team that used to trouble us for so many seasons, the team of Hodge, Buddy, Mitchell, Lewis, Rioli, Burgoyne etc. This one is pretty raw, young, the ONLY two players who could give us some stick, and we better watch closely, is the erratic and wayward Sicily, and that Luke Bruest, who can boot four goals in a row, if not monitored closely. I am se Fly will have a plan worked out for both of them, and they will be kept under lock an key, especially Bruest, hes a real danger. Darcy will stick like supaglue on him, I have NO doubt of that.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

'Magic' Johnson and Bobby Hill must surely come back in. I'd also love to see Ginni rewarded with a recall, after putting in good performances in the VFL. Those 3 are all classy forwards, who kick goals. A forward line containing Johnson, Checkers, McStay, Hill, Ginni and Elliott, swapping with McCreery off the bench, would be awesome to see.

The outs are more difficult to justify, but based on their recent form, I would drop Cox, Markov (unlucky) and Lipinski (needs a wake-up call to toughen up).
piffdog
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

Should be a rule on this forum - anyone who is wanted to be bought into the team (Ginni, Johnson) HAS to be accompanied by the necessary outs…

Wouldn’t mind seeing Ginni and Johnson myself - but now sure who at the expense of so I will defer from calling for those changes.

I think just Cox in for Frampton.

I don’t mind the back mix of Frampton, Moore and Murph as the ‘big’ guys - much better balance than trying to squeeze Howe in there (remember this is probably the first time we have had the depth to allow Howe to play anywhere else - or he himself has been injured).

In his presser coach sounded confident the contested bashing last week has easy fixes - hopefully we see that this week.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Tanuki

Post by Tanuki »

Hey, does anyone know when the next training session is? Thanks
derkd
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

First and foremost I want to see how the team responds after a 8 day break.i agree with 'bucking Awsome'. Changes are less important then how the team responds.

One of two things will happen....hopefully with a rest the pies comes out firing, a good win and all is forgiven in the eyes of some of the 'panic merchants'. As I said in the game day thread very early, they looked very tired.

If however, we struggle again this week, we can start to discuss 'mass changes'.

I would be amazed if we don't see a response from the team this weekend, they are too proud and too well drilled.

As far as changes, obvious ones are correct: Cox out (Fly i think has flagged it in the posr game press conference). Markov out.

Johnson in , Hill in.

Got to say....we would all be very grateful to the media for rounding on both Collingwood and Nick Diacos calling him selfish etc....perfect fuel to fire this team up.

We need the media to attack us every week!!!
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.