Post Match. Lions beat Pies. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

doriswilgus wrote:There’s no need to replace Lipinski with anyone.We were playing just fine without him until he came back for the King’s birthday game,and we can play without him.He is surplus to requirements.With four very good players to come back into the side,four have to go out ,and I would say that Lipinski needs to be one of those four to come out.
I bring Allan in
I am Da Man
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:Just on Lipinski, nobody was complaining about him when he was 6th in last years best and fairest or found the pill 25 times and laid 8 tackles seven days ago.
There is no doubt he is down on his best but two consecutive shoulder reconstructions can do that to the best of players. He does seem a bit timid on occasions and that’s likely due to self preservation with the finals looming.
If we can see it, then the coaches can see it, so they will decide if he warrants being omitted or not.
But based on his history at the club, let’s be convinced first, there are alternative players who will likely perform better than his efforts from 7 days ago and for the entire 2022 season.
Mate always appreciate your view
Here’s a alternate thought

He seems to want o play bruise free football because another knock on the shoulder be spell curtains
Last year he was fantastic and I’ve cut him some slack this year coming back from injury but there’s a clear pattern in his play now
He’s not putting his head or body over it and he’s scared of getting whacked again so he rushes his disposals as well
I watched him closely the past month and there’s several instances a game he isn’t going full throttle at it mate
I would prefer a kid who’s going to do whatever it takes to get the ball
Last year that was Lipinski this year it isn’t
QLD, RB, they are fair replies but let’s take a deep dive into the alternatives.
FWIW, I have Lipinski at his best, on the cusp of best 23. I’m not related to him, nor is he a mate but what we all know is that 7 days ago he was one of our better players against the reigning premiers. That game included 8 tackles. He wasn’t good enough against the Lions but he wasn’t alone.
We have injuries, so while that trend continues, he and a couple others will continue to get games because they are so much better than anything we have in the VFL.
It’s great to bring in a kid who has a go but the gulf between AFL and VFL has never been greater and it shows every time we elevate these young blokes to play seniors. The difference between Lipinski playing well against the Cats and any of Macrae, Carmichael, McInnes and Johnson playing well in the VFL, is night and day. Our last two VFL games have been against clubs in the bottom half of VFL ladder, while the seniors just played second and the reigning premiers.
Jacob Ryan got his chance after a great VFL season and hardly set the world on fire on debut ( albeit cruelly cut short ) and McInnes, Ruscoe and Johnson have come and gone, mainly because the step up has proven to be almost inconceivable against the better AFL teams.
I get frustrated with “ the baby with the bath water “ selection mentality every time we lose a game. Sometimes the hardest decision is to stick the course and trust those who have at least proven themselves in recent times.
I’m all for promoting young blokes but having a go doesn’t stand for much if the down side is you can’t get your hands on the footy at the same time.
The ball is in Lipinskis court because his best his good enough. Assuming we get players back rather than lose more in the coming weeks, I’d suggest he could be on the outer but he will be replaced by a better, proven player, not a current VFL player who hasn’t shown any consistency at the higher level.
Magpietothemax
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

^As always, a very enlightening response, P2016. Explains why our selectors have not immediately jumped at replacing experienced players after one subdued performance with a player from the VFL.
Also explains why the selectors have maintained their faith in Lipinski. I think we will see some omissions for next week's game due to injuries/risk minimisation/suspension, and maybe then we will see the opportunity for McInnes, Carmichael, Ruscoe etc to come in, but that the chasm between VFL and AFL standard is so great that the rash substitution of players would bring instability for no gain.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

For Essendon.

Out:

Murphy injury back

In: Kruger

Out:

Ryan concussion protocoles

In: Marcov

Out: McCreery assuming he is suspended

In: Carmicheal

Also De Goey and Hill make a return

I would even bring in McRae or McInness as its time to play some players from the VFL.

FB: Noble Frampton Marcov
CB: Maynard Kruger Pendles
C: J Daicos Crisp WHE
CF: Hill Checkers Howe
FF: Elliott McStay Lipinski
R: Cox JDG Mitchell
INT: Side Cameron Carmicheal McInnes
SUB: Adams or McRae or Ginny

Pies to finally a tone and turn things around and be it gradually.

MCG Friday night Pies by 18 points
Magpietothemax
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

^^
1) Kruger was injured today in the VFL. Will not be available.
2) Markov is already in.
3) McCreery has been suspended, so will need to be replaced, potentially by JDG.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Fighting against the objectification of woman.
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
shawthing
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

McCreery offered a one match ban by the MRO for his dangerous tackle.

After the Bombers complete capitulation today they have nothing to play for. It's going to be an interesting match between a bunch of footballers who wish they were on holidays and a bunch of footballers who are struggling for form. Could be a nil all draw.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

24 hours later Casual Observations:

1. We didn't turn our toes up and came back 3 times
2. Talent differential was stark and a tad concerning despite our outs
3. Any chance Brisbane could miss from 40-50 metres out? FFS
4. Pendles was superb but shouldn't be left to him
5. Frampton revealed why he is a 3 club player
6. Cox and Cameron 50:50 with resting one on Bench NOT forward
7. We continually give opposition teams ALL the SPACE in their fwd 50
8. Yet we are continually dealing with 20 players inside our 50
9. Not sure picking Ryan ahead of Macrae, Carmichael, Allan or McInnes
10. Howe needs to go back down as the interceptor despite his forward results.
11. Umpires still perpetuating their shit-dom stereotype crap
12. Why bother tackling?
13. Ginnivan no free kicks again
14. Ginnivan played lazy again despite the lack of inside 50's
15. Pick the best side available for Essendon and bed down positions
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
shawthing
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

Magpietothemax wrote:^^
Delist Kruger. He's Sean Rusling Mark II. His body is made of glass.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

shawthing wrote:
Delist Kruger. He's Sean Rusling Mark II. His body is made of glass.
I suspect the problem is his head is made of concrete. :shock:
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Across the last 4 games we've lost our ability to overrun teams in the final quarter.

3.3 vs 5.3 Brisbane
3.2 vs 5.6 Geelong
3.2 vs 4.2 Hawthorn
4.5 vs 4.3 Carlton
6.3 vs 3.2 Port Adelaide

So is this a culmination of our current form, an indication of our effort, mindset, training loads or simply the good work of the opposition?

A combination of everything is the easy answer I guess.

More worryingly can we flick the switch and regain that overwhelming belief we can win a game from any position?

We've achieved some truly special victories under Fly but the very fact we recognise how unique our situation has been means we know it can't last forever.

I was hoping however it can last 6 more weeks.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

We weren’t flogged. And we kicked 15:10. A four goal loss is about right considering the players we had out. Our defence let us down, and no wonder with Moore out, Murph on the bench, Ryan subbed for Cox, and Howe forward.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

2) Markov is already in.
3) McCreery has been suspended, so will need to be replaced, potentially by JDG.
KREUGER INJURED TODAY? NO WAY!!!!!!!!
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum