Qualifying Final. Magpies v. Demons. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

Feel for Noble. Says something about the strength of the team if he and Ginni can’t make the starting side. They do talk about the strength/skill of your bottom 6 when it comes to finals and while our bottom six might not be in excellent form, they either have a role to play, or have experience on their side (people on this forum can’t seriously believe they would omit Adams of Sidey do they?)

This bottom six in my view would be:
McStay, Cox, Markov, Lipinski, WHE and maybe McReery (?)

All of these guys have had a good season and/or play a specific role.

Still have to make way for Nick too at some point (hopefully not for a fortnight)
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

Markvov > Nobel is an interesting one. Happy for Markov, Nobel didn’t deserve to be dropped but there you go.
Thought Ginni had done enough but he’s still in the mix.

Worried about going in to top heaving if it belts down. Oh well. Guess I’ll find out around midnight (have to watch delayed, damn Thursday night rubbish).
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
melliot

Post by melliot »

Maybe it's considering Melbourne's contested game and a leaning towards bigger bodies .

Just a thought.

Noble is very very stiff
melliot

Post by melliot »

Whether it be Ginni, Oleg, Nobel, Mccreey, or Hill. They were going to be stiff to miss.
uncanny
Been liked: 12 times

Post by uncanny »

Johnny Noble extremely stiff to be dropped. Does he breaķ the record for the most consecutive games in the side(80 plus) before being dropped in a final? However you can see why they did it. Last year's finals performances have come back to haunt him. The prelim in particular. You couldn't choose between him and Lipinski to drop though. Different roles. Runnng half back compared to midfielder. It had to be a choice between Johnny and Oleg Markov. Others have pointed out Leggys edge in height and probably speed as well as recent form so you can see why. But gee that goes down as one of the hardest calls i can recall. Howey playing half forward is smart thinking. They can't ignore his marking threat and he along with Checkers Cox Cameron and McStay offer high targets with Jeremy's dual focus the disruptor role for May and Lever's marking strength down there. The likes of McReery and co can then be more effective.
The inclusion of Markov Mitchell Hill and McStay to the team from last year will go a long way to determine the result. If they can at least break even or do bettwr in their roles it goes a long way towards getting a win. Go woods.
woodsmen rule
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

uncanny wrote:Johnny Noble extremely stiff to be dropped. Does he breaķ the record for the most consecutive games in the side(80 plus) before being dropped in a final? However you can see why they did it. Last year's finals performances have come back to haunt him. The prelim in particular. You couldn't choose between him and Lipinski to drop though. Different roles. Runnng half back compared to midfielder. It had to be a choice between Johnny and Oleg Markov. Others have pointed out Leggys edge in height and probably speed as well as recent form so you can see why. But gee that goes down as one of the hardest calls i can recall. Howey playing half forward is smart thinking. They can't ignore his marking threat and he along with Checkers Cox Cameron and McStay offer high targets with Jeremy's dual focus the disruptor role for May and Lever's marking strength down there. The likes of McReery and co can then be more effective.
The inclusion of Markov Mitchell Hill and McStay to the team from last year will go a long way to determine the result. If they can at least break even or do bettwr in their roles it goes a long way towards getting a win. Go woods.
120%. Noble lost 6 one on one contests against the Swans in the Preliminary Final last year. However, he is a tad stiff to be omitted given his fine 2023 form.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
VicParkTragic
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by VicParkTragic »

Culprit wrote:We win Fly is a Genius, we lose Fly is what?
Undone.
Living in Geelong, barracking for the 'pies!
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Stevic fk me sideways!
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Would Melbourne prefer Noble playing? Might explain why he was dropped if it throws a spanner in Melbourne’s plans and makes us less predictable. John is stiff, but so would McCreery, Hill, Markov, WHE. I feel for him but we have our reasons and we’re not giving the opposition any hint as to why.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

doriswilgus wrote:I would rather have dropped Lipinski instead of Noble.I really don’t see what he(Lipinski)adds to the team.
I have a feeling that Lipinski will let go of his inhibitions of having been injured and play a blinder,
maybe close to BOG
Last edited by Take_a_Screamer on Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Cam wrote:Noble is a mismatch when he has a taller forward on him, the ball often goes through his man. I love what he brings but I feel the last month Markov has offered more, pound for pound is stronger, taller and can hold his ground.

I guess you are right Cam, look, the Coaches must have given this a lot of thought, Noble has been terrific, but this is a huge Final, massive match, and we have to go with the best we have. Markov has been a marvel, deserves his spot, its Lipinski who has to really step up now, Noble will be breathing right down his neck for, hopefully, the Preliminary Final.

IN FLY WE TRUST. :!:
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Would Melbourne prefer Noble playing? Might explain why he was dropped if it throws a spanner in Melbourne’s plans and makes us less predictable. John is stiff, but so would McCreery, Hill, Markov, WHE. I feel for him but we have our reasons and we’re not giving the opposition any hint as to why.
That is a good point. The omission of Noble is relatively inexplicable, so Melbourne will be worried.
:shock:
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

doriswilgus wrote:I would rather have dropped Lipinski instead of Noble.I really don’t see what he(Lipinski)adds to the team.
I think that's harsh; Lipinski's skill set is far above Noble's.

The question is the File and his shoulder ready for finals intensity? Time will tell
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
choppa
Been liked: 1 time

Post by choppa »

I'm not really surprised Lippa wasn't dropped.

I remember hearing a comment from Fly whilst Lippa was injured saying Lippa was our best kick going inside 50 (or best kick in transition...I can't recall exactly). I remember that comment giving me the impression that Fly highly rated Lippa.