Game Day. Magpies v. Demons. Late changes, comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Let’s hope fly and the selectors got this right
I honestly thought Lipinski was on the outer closely followed by Sidey both there form had been way down
I’m guessing crisp might play more off the HBF
This will be won in the middle
JDG Adams Mitchell need to win it in close and shut them down
We can’t be turning it over with poor kicking skills tonight it’s how we’ve been getting beaten
Tonight should be a contest of pressure and more pressure
Those who can handle it best will influence the game and win

Pies in a close one by 14
jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

qldmagpie67 wrote:Let’s hope fly and the selectors got this right
I honestly thought Lipinski was on the outer closely followed by Sidey both there form had been way down
I’m guessing crisp might play more off the HBF
This will be won in the middle
JDG Adams Mitchell need to win it in close and shut them down
We can’t be turning it over with poor kicking skills tonight it’s how we’ve been getting beaten
Tonight should be a contest of pressure and more pressure
Those who can handle it best will influence the game and win

Pies in a close one by 14
If that storm hits before gametime kicking skills will be tested as will marking, could wind up a slogfest.
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

Will be a slog, wet and windy. Melbourne have us covered in this regard (in the middle) but outside of that, we have their measure. Don't be dominated in the centre square and we win comfortably.

Neutrals will be disappointed as the Pies win a simple, boring affair by 3-5 goals.
Est. 2002
Hm

Post by Hm »

piedys wrote:
Woods Of Ypres wrote:weather a bit weird in city. sun is out and seems the first band of rain has missed the CBD
But... IF a big arse wet shit storm hits the CBD before game time, and settles in, can we still for argument's sake change our SUB and perhaps remove a ruck from the starting 23?
I imagine we can as long as we juggle from the list of emergencies, we announced the sub early but could change.

The weather is very windy and a change is in progress ATM, in line with yesterdays forecast so I expect they considered the weather when selecting the team.
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

If we adapt to the conditions by going full on chaos instead of long down the line it will negate their defensive setup. The other part is at least breaking even in the middle. Do that and we are a big chance.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Woods Of Ypres wrote:weather a bit weird in city. sun is out and seems the first band of rain has missed the CBD
Next band is not gonna miss by the looks of the radar....
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Hm wrote:I imagine we can as long as we juggle from the list of emergencies, we announced the sub early but could change.

The weather is very windy and a change is in progress ATM, in line with yesterdays forecast so I expect they considered the weather when selecting the team.
I'd hope the team isn't selected based on a weather forecast?

Horses for Courses as they say, even if we decide at the last possible minute...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Raw Hammer

Post by Raw Hammer »

Go long and low and avoid the intercept marking o May and Lever and we win easily.

JUust wish Buckley had deployed this tactic during the second half of the 2018 GF.
Est. 2002
think better
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Next band is not gonna miss by the looks of the radar....
Looks like the rain will hit and clear just about bounce down
I think therefore I think - I think
Raw Hammer

Post by Raw Hammer »

piedys wrote:
Hm wrote:I imagine we can as long as we juggle from the list of emergencies, we announced the sub early but could change.

I'd hope the team isn't selected based on a weather forecast?

Horses for Courses as they say, even if we decide at the last possible minute...
Huh??? weather is literally a horses for courses strategy
Est. 2002
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Enough talking , analyzing, the time has come, this is it, if we want to win the Premiership, we MUST win this match, and go straight to the Preliminary Final get the week off, let the other mobs scrap it out. Its the only way. We can win this if every player plays his part, has a red hot go. ! Its time to beat these Toffy pricks in a big final, past time, actually. We can, and will , do this. Im quietly confident. In Fly we trust. Magpies by 24 points, or under one goal. Just win, by anything. Go Woods !!
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

jonmac1954 wrote:If we adapt to the conditions by going full on chaos instead of long down the line it will negate their defensive setup. The other part is at least breaking even in the middle. Do that and we are a big chance.
absolutely. Cannot bomb long or May and Lever will destroy us, not to mention Gawn dropping back. Kicking to grass is a better option for our small forwards to do their thing. If the rain arrives we need to get Ginni on for a big man asap.

Terrible for Johnny Noble but he needs to stay involved as he’ll still get his chance I reckon. Brave call by the selectors who I reckon did their homework and saw that Melbourne’s pressure brought him undone last time round…. And as Swoop42 said earlier, Nick Daicos may go back to the half back line when he returns.

Tipping big games for:

Dan McStay. Just got a feeling. Weather might not help him though.
Tom Mitchell, conditions could be made for him tonight.
JDG, the first great game of a memorable finals series

Our best is better than their best. Just gotta bring it for 4 quarters.
Last edited by Damien on Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

There's a lot riding on the coaching and preparation in this one because they're a couple of big bodies ahead of us. The call on Noble shows a lot has gone into the planning, and the lads won't want for motivation. Now it's down to execution and the weather.

If it were dry I'd be a lot more confident. We've handled the wet so poorly that the shift in ball movement and forward work will need to be significant. That said, we've had time to tweak things, with the Noble change no doubt part of that, so you'd think no stone would've been left unturned.

Are we a couple of strong, explosive bodies short, or can we move the ball smartly in the wet, and get more from players built for the physical battle, such as Bruzzy, IQ, Adams, Cameron and McCreery? Is there a sniff that Beau might finally play a big shut-down role? Can players like McStay be used to mess with their backline structure? A lot of this rides on how much we can get from that sort of players in the contest, because the usual suspects will no doubt lift.

Caaaarna' Pies!
Last edited by pietillidie on Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

Whisper is Noble is sub . . . interesting - line breaking speed instead of forward smarts if true.
Born to Pie
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Born to Pie »

jonmac1954 wrote:Whisper is Noble is sub . . . interesting - line breaking speed instead of forward smarts if true.
People reporting on a facebook site that Noble is doing the warm-up
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away