Pre-Prelim. Magpies v. Giants. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Hiss wrote:I am predicting a Carlton v Collingwood Grand Final. My Chinese neighbour says it will be GWS v Brisbane. He hates Collingwood, intensely dislikes Taiwan, the US, and all things black and white. I told him if we win the Flag this year I will wrap the Australian and Collingwood flags around my arse, walk over to his house, bend over and demand he kiss both. I will them rip the CCP stickers off his windows and replace them with Collingwood and Hard Yakka stickers.
I agree: CCP stickers should definitely be replaced by Collingwood Hard Yakka stickers.
The australian flag should also be replaced by Collingwood stickers.
Because patriotism is the poison that leads to world war 3, but a Collingwood Premiership is the path to heaven on earth.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

qldmagpie67 wrote:GWS strength lays in there ability to run run run all day at a good clip
They run in swarms and support from behind the ball in numbers
They play high pressure football when they don’t have it
They have good players on every line
People who think there just making up the numbers haven’t been watching them closely
The 2nd half the season they were a top 3 side with only 2 losses and both those they had players missing
They win in the road and aren’t daunted by the challenge
This game is a bigger danger than a GF against either lions or scum

They will attack our weaknesses
Clearances without Adams will be a massive issue they get first use of the ball we will be in huge trouble
Our poor field kicking of late will be punished if they intercept like they’ve done the past couple weeks
They exploit any player who doesn’t have the turn of speed to stop them running away from clearances or contests
Sidey on a Wing is a big concern as Kelly likes to role out to the wing on his left and run and carry before pinpointing passes inside 50
We will need to be at our absolute best to overcome these guys don’t be mistaken
I am always amazed how you manage to slip in an attack on Sidey in every analysis you offer.
In fact, last time we played Jaicos took Kelly (not Sidey)
Of course we will have to be at our absolute best to beat them. Did you say the same thing before we played the Dees?
They are in form - definitely.
Our form though is on the rise: Essendon game, then intense pressure on Melbourne won the QF, next level this week.
I am not overconfident. I just want to highlight that we are prepared for what is necessary.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Max the thing about GWS is they have been exploiting weaknesses in opposition very well
Sidey speed or lack of it is a concern
Let’s go back 1 game v Dee’s
First half was a slog fest in the wet. Hack kicks off the ground, moving it forward at any cost, skills not required just get it moving forward
At half time both team were operating at around 50/55% disposal eff
Sidey had 18 touches for half
Second half the field had dried out some what and the game become quicker and skills more prevalent
Hunt and Langdon went to work on Sidey running off him and every opportunity and becoming very fsngerous feeding there forward line and putting our defence under constant pressure

He had 3 touches in the second half 2 of which where turnovers
He’s knee is healed for sure you can see during games he’s stretching it out and prior to that injury he wasn’t fast so a banged up knee won’t help it any

GWS is the only team who has speed on each line to match us

If it was choice I wouldn’t pick Lipinski either
But opinions are just that mate opinions
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^Sideys not there to deliver speed, never has been.
Decision making, gut running and link play.
It's a final, he's going to get a good opponent. If he breaks even, he impacts the game. Big game like this, he'll be one of our best.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

LaurieHolden wrote:^Sideys not there to deliver speed, never has been.
Decision making, gut running and link play.
It's a final, he's going to get a good opponent. If he breaks even, he impacts the game. Big game like this, he'll be one of our best.
This 100%- I wrote Sidey off the year he got suspended for four weeks- it was one of the COVID years- not sure which one.

Thankfully, he is enjoying a fine season in 2023. I think that Laurie Holden is right- Sidey will be one of our best Friday night.

The difference between Friday night and, say, the 2018 GF is that he will not have a heavy tag placed on him. His possessions will have maximum effect and the hard-running that he, WHE and Lipinski will provide on Friday night are essential if we are to get over the GWS.

Floreat Pica folks- huge Friday game ahead.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Last time we won a preliminary final, Sidebottom had 41 disposals. He was no faster then than he is, now - and GWS is about 5% as good as the team Richmond was in 2018.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

qldmagpie67 wrote:GWS strength lays in there ability to run run run all day at a good clip
People who think there just making up the numbers haven’t been watching them closely
The 2nd half the season they were a top 3 side with only 2 losses and both those they had players missing

Clearances without Adams will be a massive issue they get first use of the ball we will be in huge trouble
Our poor field kicking of late will be punished if they intercept like they’ve done the past couple weeks
They exploit any player who doesn’t have the turn of speed to stop them running away from clearances or contests
Sidey on a Wing is a big concern as Kelly likes to role out to the wing on his left and run and carry before pinpointing passes inside 50
We will need to be at our absolute best to overcome these guys don’t be mistaken
Not sure why you'd single out Sidey as a potential weak link, given that he was close to BOG in our victory over the Dees.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

qldmagpie67 wrote:
lazzadesilva wrote:

Not too sure if I’m reading you correctly but I get the impression that you are realistically not extremely confident about us winning. I’m feeling the same way and can only hope that we play at our best for the entire game. If we’re able to do this, we will win. I have no doubt that this is the best way to win.
I think people are underestimating GWS massively
They’ve been playing very well but people including media seem fixated on there opposition playing poorly
I’m of the belief it’s because they weren’t allowed to play well
I still think our best is good enough but anything less than our best we will be in trouble
Some fans might be underestimating GWS but I don’t think the club would enter those waters. This is finals footy and every team is hellbent on winning. Collingwood coaches will be planning the best strategies and tactics to achieve this success. However I see GWS as being a team good enough to nullify our strengths and maximise our weaknesses. I cannot figure out the reasons for some fans to think that we only have to turn up to win. I understand that the obvious bias here will see the vast majority picking us but geez, it’s going to be bloody tough. We need to play four consistently good quarters. If they do this and apply elite pressure, we have a better chance of winning than losing. I hope we are fully switched on.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

We certainly don't just have to turn up but the frenzy around the giants is quite literally infantile.
They beat a badly banged up Freo side who kicked 9:1 and put two OOB in the last quarter and lost 2 games in their last 5 so no not the demi gods many think.
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

Cant be worried about the team being prepared. Fly is not Buckley.
Manic pressure and we will see what they can do because their two finals opponents havent bought it.

This is the test for the prep leading into finals, we put in the work, we tinkered with plan b and had eyes only on finals.

If we are good enough, we win this and next week. Doesnt matter who we play.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Pies2016
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

It makes zero difference whether supporters underestimate the Giants or think the Giants should be flag favourites. The only thing that matters is how the players and coaches prepare for the opposition. Nobody within the club will be underestimating any finals opponent, so we can safely remove over confidence as a concern on Friday night.
It comes down to preparation during the week and execution on the night. We will play to our strengths and do our best to exploit their weaknesses ( second ruck, their over attacking style and late game fatigue, just to name a couple ) Their best footy is very good but they do give up momentum regularly through the game. There will be a lot of conversations about strategies to mitigate their momentum and maximise ours. This is how we play, we don’t play consistent four quarter footy but we do go harder than most for periods and then hold on for others.
Buckle up, we’re all in for another roller coaster ride.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

Pies2016 wrote:It makes zero difference whether supporters underestimate the Giants or think the Giants should be flag favourites. The only thing that matters is how the players and coaches prepare for the opposition. Nobody within the club will be underestimating any finals opponent, so we can safely remove over confidence as a concern on Friday night.
It comes down to preparation during the week and execution on the night. We will play to our strengths and do our best to exploit their weaknesses ( second ruck, their over attacking style and late game fatigue, just to name a couple ) Their best footy is very good but they do give up momentum regularly through the game. There will be a lot of conversations about strategies to mitigate their momentum and maximise ours. This is how we play, we don’t play consistent four quarter footy but we do go harder than most for periods and then hold on for others.
Buckle up, we’re all in for another roller coaster ride.
Whenever I have doubts, I think about our coaching group. Have barely put a foot wrong in two years and seem to be perfectly dealing with the players psyche. Loved how they came out in the qualifier and their three finals last year were excellent. I think the guys will be very well prepared and I expect to see some of our best footy for the season this weekend (and hopefully next weekend).

Also - agree with those earlier comments about Sidey. He won’t get a tag and as such I expect him and Pendles to be very influential. Hopefully Josh steps up after a quiet one and I think we can expect Nick to have an influence as well. If we also get Hill and WHE turning in excellent efforts (who knows?) we will be hard to beat.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

I’m not interested in GWS strengths as much as I’m interested in Collingwood’s.
Yes they are a good side but their two finals wins were against a side who really didn’t deserve to be there (St Kilda) and another who was cooked 6 weeks ago.
GWS will not be getting the easy ball and run and carry without pressure as they have against their two previous opponents. They we as close to training runs in finals as you can get.
If we bring our best GWS will not stand a chance!!
- Side By Side -
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

The way the media is banging on about Carlton, you’d think they’re the second coming of Jesus and finished top of the ladder with no losses. I hope Brisbane smashes them and knackers themselves in the process so I won’t have to deal with the hype when we make the GF.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

lazzadesilva wrote:

Not too sure if I’m reading you correctly but I get the impression that you are realistically not extremely confident about us winning. I’m feeling the same way and can only hope that we play at our best for the entire game. If we’re able to do this, we will win. I have no doubt that this is the best way to win.

Lazza, im sick n tired of being a pessimist Magpie veteran fan, done with tht shit , im up for this match, really up for it, our best has been outstanding this season, we have 10 more rest days than this mob, they wll tire out as the match goes on.they tired out last week, last qtr, had Port kicked 5 soda goals Giants woud have barely got over the line. WE can take these Orange peel pricks tackel em like maniacs, they may shit the nest, this one is ours for the taking. We can and will win, im quietly confident, more an more now. :o :)
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.