Grand Final # 9 – 1977

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Grand Final # 9 – 1977

Post by Harrysz »

Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

1977 was the first time I went to a Grand Final and I went to both.
It was such an exciting time to be a Collingwood fan with the team firing on all cylinders to end the season on top of the ladder under the great Tom Hafey who had such talent as Phil Carman, Peter Moore, Rene Kink, Len Thomson, Billy Picken, Ricky Barham, Stan Magro, Kevin Worthington, Andrew Ireland, Phil Manassa, Ron Wearmouth, Ross "Twiggy" Dunne, Max Richardson and Ray Shaw.
I don't recall to much about the first or second quarters, but I vividly remember being very excited during the 3rd quarter as Collingwood played very well to be well up at 3/4 time. I was scared by the 1970 disaster so I still felt nervous at 3/4 time and as the last quarter played out the worse I felt with Collingwood unable to hold the unrelenting push by Nth Melb to take the lead. It was a miracle mark and kick by Twiggy Dunne to draw the scores but at the end of the game, although I was pleased that we hadn't lost, I remember that I wasn't feeling confident about the next week.
No doubt that Collingwood would have won had Fabulous Phil Carman played, but such was the curse on Collingwood in Grand Finals in those years. Thank goodness Collingwood was able to get up in a close Grand Final this year. Hopefully that close win opens the door for many more premiership wins over the next few years to make-up for the lean and heartbreaking years of the '60's, 70's and 80"s.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Having gone to all the Collingwood matches during the finals, I have absolutely no doubt that had Carman played, we would’ve won the GF. Carman’s brain snap, was totally unnecessary and undisciplined. His suspension was extremely impactful because Collingwood lost the full confidence they had with Carman in the team.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Harrysz

Post by Harrysz »

Lazzadesilva, I'm in full agreement with you.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Hi there folks.

At the risk of being seen to be impolite, it is my recollection that Stan Magro and Kevin Worthington were also new recruits in 1977- each made a strong impact- Gerald Betts was also a first year Magpie player in 1977.

Although Carman was suspended, North were without dual Brownlow Medallist Keith Greig who had done his ACL.

The miss by Twiggy Donne early in the last quarter was critical- had we gone 33 points up, it would have been all the more difficult for the 'Roos to fight back.

Wayne Gordon was soundly beaten by Stan Alves on one wing and Barham had his hands full with Schema on the other. I have often wondered how the Magpies would have gone had we retained Robert Dean (who was starring at South having been a Magpie wingman) and if John Greening had not been 'assassinated at Moorabbin in 1972...

With Carman out, I would have rolled the dice and played Sam Kekovich- he was actually named as an emergency in the Drawn Grand Final)...
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

warburton lad wrote: Wayne Gordon was soundly beaten by Stan Alves on one wing and Barham had his hands full with Schema on the other. I have often wondered how the Magpies would have gone had we retained Robert Dean (who was starring at South having been a Magpie wingman) and if John Greening had not been 'assassinated at Moorabbin in 1972....
I can’t remember exactly so I’ll ask, was Alan Atkinson in the playing group at that time? He would have been the perfect replacement for Wayne Gordon. And I agree, Sam Kekovich would have been a better option than Perry.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Harrysz

Post by Harrysz »

Warburton Lad, you are not being impolite. I appreciate your interest and comments. Yes, Worthington, Magro and Betts were good additions to the side but they were hardly A grade players. I believe that Tommy got the best out of what he had. In the meantime, I hope you get a chance to give us a training report some time!
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

Tommy was a fastidious training advocate. Some thought that they were cherry ripe to go again in the replay but it’s known Tom trained the relentlessly over the week prior to replay

Some had thoughts light training would have kept them fresh with minimal fatigue
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Harrysz

Post by Harrysz »

BazBoy that's a commonly held view regarding the replay but I don't think that fitness was an issue in the drawn Grand Final.
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

I recall my Dad telling me that '77 was the flag we really should have won between '64 and '90.

I've watched the Draw (and own the DVD).
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Harrysz

Post by Harrysz »

Hi Presti35. Your dad may well have been right but unfortunately there were other contenders as well.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ And they didn't choke hopelessly on an unassailable lead.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

And pretty sure Doug Gott did his knee late in this game also ?
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

The disappointing stretch between our 1958 and 1990 was littered with GF defeats in that 32 year spell
Then 3 flags were achieved over a similar spell again with some disappointment

It’s 100 years ago our glory spell -1920,s and 1930 ,s

That said are we on the verge of another glorious spell
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Harrysz

Post by Harrysz »

Pies 2016 - Doug Gott was badly injured when Darryl Sutton flew over him to take a mark early in the last quarter. He then kicked North's first goal since the first quarter.