Happy Australia Day!

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Happy Australia Day!

Post by What'sinaname »

Congratulation to the Australians of the Year and nearly all of the recipients of Australia Day honours.

Special call out to Professor Georgina Long AO and Professor Richard Scolyer who have partnered to save thousands from melanoma. #FkCancer!!!
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

Hope everyone has had an enjoyable day... just another day at the coal face for me.
I know the daughter and her friends are having a blast in my pool.. the 2400 x 1200 Aussie flag waving proudly from my flagpole today. 8)
Don't count the days, make the days count.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

happy Straya Day.

I had the Grandson today, he got $5 note among his birthday presents and asked me to take him shopping, Hit every fkn toystore in greensborough plaza before he ended up buying a plastic Samurai sword for $2.50.

On the way to Dan Murphys, he heard a reference to Australia day and asked me what it was.

So I explained that it's the anniversary of the date the first fleet arrived here, full of convicts in chains and other free people to start building modern Australia. I also explained that a lot of Aboriginal people don't feel like celebrating today, because they feel that this is the day their country was invaded by the white people.

He says to me, so are we the bad guys? I said, Nah, you and me didn't do anything wrong, that was the Poms over 200 years ago.

So we got home, he was riding his scooter out the front while I pruned the Agapanthus to stop the flowers scratching the car. Then the battle started, With a long stalk of Agapanthus flower in each hand, Captain Agapanthus faced off against the might of Ninja Ty with his Samurai Sword. It was an epic battle, punctuated by passers by laughing as they passed by. Captain Agapanthus struck many telling blows but in the end, the swordsmanship of Samurai Ty prevailed and he was the victor. His reward was a chicken sandwich and a paddlepop for lunch.

Happy Straya day.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Make him listen to The Seekers I am Australian.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Great stuff, Stui. Grandparents are the best when you're a kid. I still miss my grandma who was the most special person in my life. Parents are a different sort of relationship.

I hope everyone made good of the day, whatever your political persuasion!

The days are ever so slightly getting longer here, which is always a good thing. It's now no longer dark at 4:30pm - not barbecue conditions just yet, but I'll take it!
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm