Tough decision but seems to be the correct one
Better an ex player than a vegetable
Hope you fully recover
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

The welfare of any individual is always more important than any collective goal in sport.

I am saddened that we have lost another 'heart and soul' player, but relieved that we will not have to worry about a Premiership hero compromising his future health and well-being every time he takes the field for the Magies.

Agree that his are big shoes to fill, but Murphy (and perhaps the club medicos and coaching staff) have made a call that is 100% correct.

Hopefully, he can be retained and retrained in some other capacity at Collingwood- he would be awesome as a mentor for the sons and daughters of former Pies players.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

Sad for him to retire in this way but definitely the correct decision.

All the best to Murph!!!
- Side By Side -
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Murph the Magnificent, always!
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

Very sad, but the right decision. There is much more to life than football.

I was quite certain this would happen after his GF concussion. Like Paddy McCartin from Sydney he'd just had one too many in his career.

Good luck son. You will always be a Premiership player!
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Crying my eyes out, even though we saw it coming.

Going to miss his smile, his never ending work ethic, crashing through,

hopefully we get a farewell lap this Saturday,

A Champion, A Premiership player, better yet, a Collingwood premiership Player. We salute you Nathan, thanks for the memories and all the best for what comes next xx
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think better
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

It seemed a bit inevitable but really sad for it to come to this.
I totally agree with others here, his health must come first.
Hopefully the club can find a role for him - he seems like a great team person.
I think therefore I think - I think
David
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

The team won’t be the same without him, but I’m glad he’s looking out for his health and future. Will always look back on his career and his unbelievable on-field courage fondly.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
winpies
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by winpies »

Congratulations on your time at the Pies! You will always be a Premiership player. You have been courageous in the way you played the game. Perhaps too much at times but that is why we loved you.

I think you have made the right decision. You are a long time out of football and your future health is important.

I wish you all the very best mate and thank you.

Go Pies!
carn the mighty pies!
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

This is really sad news.I hate to see him retire at such a young age.But he must think of his long term health,and I think he has made the right decision regarding that.

All the best on your retirement Nathan.You are a star and a Collingwood premiership player to boot!Well done!
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Worst case scenario comes to bare
Good luck Murph hope you find something to fill the void
Your health is much more important than any game of football
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Very sad for him. I am also pleased that these days we recognise the problem and can avoid a far worse outcome.

His contract expires I believe end of 24, with the midseason draft coming up in a couple of months or so, the club may have financially assisted him to make his announcement earlier than he may have otherwise. I don't mean to sound insensitive.

On field, Frampton has filled the breach, but of course, we also lost a quality player on our list.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Nathan Murphy always a premiership hero. His never say die attitude made him one of my favorites. All the best for the future Nathan.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

I'm sad to hear of Nathan Murphy's medical forced retirement. He was a great part of Collingwoods premiership defense team last year and has always played the game in a terrific spirit and with enormous courage.
It should never be forgotten that Murphy was a very talented sportsman and I remember Nathan Buckley commenting on his initial selection to the team in 2018 when he said that Murphy had been pitted against Degoey at a training drill and held his own against one of the inform players in the league at that time.
Murphy's selfless playing of backing up his fellow defenders helped make Moore and Howe better players in being confident that Murphy could back them up if they took an agressive run at the incoming ball coming into our defensive half. He developed into being a very strong and competive interception marker of the ball as well as Moore and Howe.
A very underated player from a premiership team.
At least his retirement will allow Collingwood to open a spot on our list to potentially recruit some new talent into the AFL list. e.g. Ned Long?
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Take_a_Screamer
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Premiership-winning footy star Nathan Murphy is forced to retire aged just 24 - here's why the AFL should be VERY worried.
Murphy is the sixth AFL player to retire due to the effects of concussion in a 12-month period

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/afl/a ... d-AFL.html
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️