We need to support Ash Johnson

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

We need to support Ash Johnson

Post by RudeBoy »

I was disappointed in the lack of intensity displayed by Ash in his couple of games at the start of the season. However, what disappointed me much more was the gutless and despicable racial abuse which was then directed at him from some supposed Pie fans. It was so bad that he closed down his own social media platforms.

Regardless of how he performs on the field tomorrow, I urge all genuine fans to give him an enormous round of applause and support at the game, to assure him that we have his back and we stand with him side by side.
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

Stupid fans do stupid things, like being personally insulted when a player doesn't meet their own expectations. As if the player is deliberately failing. I hope Ash has a crack kicks a few and solidifies his place as a forward flanker. I think a bit of the issue is that our game style hasn't suited him at times and trying to use a 194cm lightly framed player in the ruck...well it's not exactly setting the player up to succeed. I actually wish he'd been brought back in a few games ago. These few next couple of games really do feel like it's a hiding to nothing.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Welcome back, Ash. Block the noise out lad; plenty of us are behind you, rate your undoubted natural talent, and also understand that the inner self has its own timeline. All the best wishes to you; know that you're valued for exactly who you are and what you have to offer. Your natural football is superb; don't be afraid to take some risks and let it shine.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Good post 100%. Get behind Ash and support him however you can.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

We need boys to stand up. Every one of them. Having them not succeed and mocking that at the game is counter-productive to team success. I'm talking to the Schultz haters as well...
Get back on top.
Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Harrysz »

As Collingwood supporters we should support every player who wears the black & white.

BUT, if we're entitled to praise players we're entitled to criticise them. Of cause, our comments are often misconceived. We are mere supporters who have no personal AFL experience nor knowledge of what goes on behind closed doors. But posting comments whether appropriate or misconceived are what sites lie Nick's are all about.

Lachie Schultz hasn't been terrible but he hasn't lived up to the big media hype which followed his transfer to Collingwood. We are entitled to say so. With Ash Johnston, well, racial abuse is disgraceful at any time. But his form has been very disappointing for about a year. We are entitled to say so.

At least, unlike Carlton supporters we don't boo our players when they're not going well.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

I wasn't aware that was happening to Ash.
What a horrible way to treat a player from any team, let alone your own.
I wish him a decent reception today, which he deserves.
Hopefully he can relax from any excessive tension and perform the best he can.
I for one appreciate Ash and know what he is capable of.

Ash's screamer:
https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark?
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

If any Nicksters is doing it or know who is , ducking stop it right now or duck off to Carlton.

Can you report it to the club, Rudey?
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

I hope he has a good game. A couple of early goals would be a great start.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Any Collingwood player taking the field deserves our support regardless of form.

I think Ash's early season form warranted fair criticism, but the abuse he received on social media was unacceptable. That needs to be called out any time it arises.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

ok, I backed him @ $12 to kick 4 goals.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

I gotta say I'm fed up with people who hurl racist abuse - especially when it is from behind a keyboard.

From all accounts AJ is a great guy. He has some sublime skills and I hope he can out on a great show and takes a hanger to just show off a bit.
I think therefore I think - I think
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

It's about getting better every day. At least we don't have to deal with racist abuse at the game. So there has been improvement there. In time, internet behaviour will improve too.

It's stupid right, as AJ's race has nothing to do with his poor form.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

There's criticism in a place like this, then there's actively going to a players social media and hurling abuse. There's absolutely no excuse for that bullshit, let alone the racist crap.

No one goes out on the field intending to not try but sometimes the mind gets clouded and what you want to do doesn't work.

I wish Ash all the best tonight, hope he has a great game but if he doesn't I won't be abusing him for it, with all the injuries we have he's on a hiding to nothing so just get out there and have some fun.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Rude abusing any player in the team you support is fundamentally wrong
Being disappointed in performance and results is fine abuse is not
As for racial abuse, any person be it a fan or not who racially abuses anyone including players should face charges laid by police
It’s time this country to truly make a stand and say we don’t tolerate any form of racial abuse under any circumstances
We have as a country let our moral compass disappear and it’s time society changed its attitude