What are our chances for 2024?

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

What do you think our chances are of winning the 2024 premiership?

Very good – we're in the box seat and will be hard to stop
27%
Pretty good – we should finish top 4 and still be in contention on preliminary final weekend, but hard to know from there
47%
Unsure – new season, everyone starts from scratch, and we're just one of many teams that can win it
19%
Not so good – expecting a premiership hangover and/or for other teams to pass us by
7%

Total votes: 113

Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Yahoo! Sports public opinion has us winning the Premiership
Carlton's not there. Still, we're popular.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

So, they surveyed 23 Collingwood supporters, 20 Swans, 5 Port...
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

They also surveyed someone else who knew someone else X 25
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

That is the sort of half of football that kills a season. Can’t see how we recover from that. In a way it might be a blessing on how we deal with some questionable players.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

After today the question should be: How many years before Collingwood wins our next flag? Plenty I'd say. The cupboard is bare and a handful of stars won't save us.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Premature expostulation, much?
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Despite getting out of jail. This team looks lost without Pendles.

Darcy Moore is a concern for me. Was putrid in the 1st half and I am not sure what his role is. Hardly takes an intercept mark, hardly touched the ball and Larkey kicked 3 goals on him in a blink at the start of the game. Also late in the game after we hit the front couldn’t execute a simple handball under little pressure which cost us a goal and almost the game.

IQ is also a worry just seems to fumble most of the time.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
lazzadesilva

Post by lazzadesilva »

Johnno75 wrote:That is the sort of half of football that kills a season. Can’t see how we recover from that. In a way it might be a blessing on how we deal with some questionable players.
FWIW, I thought exactly the same thing at the time. I’m totally nonplused about how they won that. Not a clue. The Wonder team of the AFL! I always wonder how they win
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

If we do witn the premiership in 2024, the last few weeks may well be why.

1. Krueger is a big upgrade on Cox and will only get better.
2. Reef McInnes is growing in confidence and becoming the damaging third tall we will need
3.Pendlebury @pand Jordy have been given a good and necessary rest
4. Joe Richards is a big find
5. Schultz has stepped up and grown into the side.

All of the above make us significantly better. In particular, our forward line has been a relative weakness in recent years, and the forward line that is emerging from Mihocek, Hill, Schultz, WHE, Elliott, McInnes, Krueger, Richards, Harrison and later McStay looks very potent.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

A loss today would have been totally diabolical; and i'm guessing the one we would have rued the most by end of H&A season.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

A loss today would have totally derailed our chances of making top 4. After the putrid start to the season we have done amazingly well to swoop into 3rd position heading into the bye, considering the train wreck of injuries we've had. With several key players to come back from injury we are well placed to push into the second half of the season but still have several concerns about what happens to our game plan when we aren't mentally prepared or our pressure drops. Players like Moore and IQ just haven't played to the level they or we would expect of themselves and it can't just be Nathan Murphy's absence
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Clifton Hill-Billy wrote:A loss today would have totally derailed our chances of making top 4. After the putrid start to the season we have done amazingly well to swoop into 3rd position heading into the bye, considering the train wreck of injuries we've had.
And that is a great achievement in itself; no question.
Clifton Hill-Billy wrote:With several key players to come back from injury we are well placed to push into the second half of the season but still have several concerns about what happens to our game plan when we aren't mentally prepared or our pressure drops.
Players like Moore and IQ just haven't played to the level they or we would expect of themselves and it can't just be Nathan Murphy's absence
Moore and IQ had too much ball coming into the D50 too frequently, to set up, my guess. As I said in the post-match thread - that was due to lack of application by midfield. Murphy still hard to replace regardless...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Agree a loss at marvel today and kiss good bye to top 4.
We now in 3rd unreal.
We urgently need to recoup and re gather our selfs.
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Just needed to win today no matter the circumstances.

We're in a good position to tackle the back half of the season with hopefully our experienced players returning. I've heard Checkers, JDG and Pendles could all be available for the Gold Coast match after the bye.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
lazzadesilva

Post by lazzadesilva »

Any love for Cox coming back? He is hardly mentioned when discussing players returning after injuries. I still think he can make a difference but it will be a choice between Krueger and Cox.