Post Match. Pies down to Cats. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Jezza wrote:Think that’s our season done and dusted.
Can still make 8.
I hold out a faint, lingering hope in that within the next 2 to 3 weeks we will have many players back.
But yeah, I am starting to think that the adversity we have suffered this year, has had an impact on the mindset and fibre of our team. Just does not look to have the same desperation, pressure frenzy.
That is a combination of missing personnel and pure mental/ physical exhaustion.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Greening gold
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Greening gold »

Lipinski and Markov must be the two luckiest and least deserving preimership medal winners in Collingwoold's 16 flags.
Tell me how it's fair that Peter McKenna, John Greening, Len Thompson, the Richardson brothers, Terry Waters and so many champions missed out and those two "can't kick, can't mark, won't go in" hangers-on got one.
If you used to barrack for the 'Pies, you never barracked for the 'Pies.
Raw Hammer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

Out coached for 4 games straight.
Shambolic.
8 wins from 17 games? That’s disgusting whatever what you look at it.
The Freo capitulation and Gold Coast ‘nearly’ comeback has sealed our fate.
Nothing surer than our bogey team in Hawthornensinf our season next week.
Amazing effort 2022-23, to win a flag. But the recruiters (and shine in particular) must be held accountable. No elite talls year on year as every other club finds big body goal kickers is deplorable. Surely a clean out from that side of the football ops department.

Giving up a Top 10 pick and Ginnivan for Schultz was also a mastertstroke.

Looking forward to the powers that be shitting away Nick Daicos’s best years with a patch-quilt C-Grade team the way they did Pendles’s during his 20s.
Last edited by Raw Hammer on Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Est. 2002
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

The WHE stuff up was the turning point for me.

Either he kicks it or hands it to Hill for the easy goal and get him into the game. We get that goal and it would have been 3 in a row, we would have had a 7 point lead with 2 mins left in the 3rd.

But what happened from there was Geelong get 2 very late goals and lead by 11 as the siren goes.

Sidey got the first of the 4th, but we never recovered or regained the lead.

We need to do better, but we have yet to be embarrased by any final margin this year, with maybe the exception of round 0 and round 1, which were both 5 goal margins.

Our Premiership defence is in tatters. We'll need to get on a roll against Hawks, Tigs, and then hope for an upset or 2 against either Blues or Swans and Lions before a win against the Dees to make 7th or 8th. At that point, if we land the Dons at the MCG, maybe we could make the second week and extend their days without winning a finals streak. See there's always something to look out for!!
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
magpiemike
Been liked: 4 times

Post by magpiemike »

Our GF is now in 3 weeks. Our only remaining focus is for SP10s 400th. It’s been a shit year, only a win over the enemy can salvage something for me.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

dalyc wrote:Disappointing.

Coach needs a Plan B cause when we don’t bring the pressure, or when the oppo play the short kick game we’re screwed.

Injuries killed our year.
I think this is correct. Last year teams tried the uncontested mark plan against us, and we were able to man up and still bring the heat.
I think the team we had still had the potential to win another flag. But for most of the season, we were only playing with half the team we had.
But our team was on the cusp. One more flag was the absolute limit. When injuries eviscerated the team, the team was just not capable of reaching the same level.
Fly keeps maintaining the mantra that it doesnt matter who plays, its how you play.
This is manifestly just propaganda. He doesn't want to use the excuse of injuries. I get that.
Still haven't given up on finals... we can still make the 8...and I feel are quite likely to do so, with players coming back over the next few weeks.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by ANNODAM »

That was the turn around the WHE situation, GEEL went & kicked 2 after that, it ruined our momentum.
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

In retrospect we were never going to win the premiership this year with so many players having such bad years.You can’t win a premiership with just a couple of players contributing each week.

The hunger has definitely gone from this side.I think most of the players are happy with one flag and that’s all they’re going to get.Judging by how they looked walking off the field tonight they didn’t look too concerned by the loss.I think it worries the fans a lot more than it worries them.
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

Ahh reliably there’s some on here microwaving the membership cards and torching everyone involved with the organisation. You know we’re still reining premiers for another couple months right. You do realise that in the history of the game several different teams have actually won flags?

I’d also add that the Cats probably had more of a VFl side in the park than we did.

I think we have been figured out to a degree. All too often we find ourselves hemmed in defence and the only way out is run and gun. Take that away and we just can’t get it forward, so we have to kick every opportunity (we didn’t tonight) and defend for our life (our backs are too out of form for that). So we’re just an average team.

Anyway. I thought we looked better than last week, but not good enough - as we havent largely since 3/4 time in the Freo game probably. Too much being left to too few. Jordy was decent and I thought Darcy Cameron had yet another strong game. Moore probably needs 6 weeks in Positano to contemplate how he can get better, because despite the naval hazing and acknowledgement during the week he didn’t do a great deal. Hill has to make every one of his 8-10 possessions count. Lipinski had no influence. Liked Noble’s game.

Despite some media reports to the contrary during the week, I think we can start to think much more seriously about how we’re going to approach 2025 and try and get a head start. Hard to imagine we couldn’t find room for McInnes with our dearth of forwards.

Hopefully the ass doesn’t fall right out of the season - but it might.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Welcome to 2013-2021 all over again
Look to be honest winning premierships are great but in other words it’s normally 10 years of doom
This will be the theme
Having a dip but not quite
Sounds familiar
Cricket season now
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

Thank God we won it last year. Imagine being in this position and having lost it. Sheesh!
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
warburton lad
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

I lament the absence of the following tonite through injury...

Cox, Howe, McCreery,McStay, Mihocek and Mitchell (I count McStay as he is only returning this week from an ACL) would all be in that 23 this evening if fit...That is a fair chunk of talent in anyone's book.

We have kids like: Allan, Macrae, Sullivan, Dean, Jiath, Demattia, Eyre, Begg, Ryan, Steene and Smit either injured or just learning the trade in the VFL. Some will make it, others (including Ash Johnson & perhaps Bytel) appear to be on the way out.

Apart from the ritual boning from the maggots tonight, our players have looked tired all year- special thanks to the AFL for giving us the shortest preseason ever given to a reigning premier.

Richards, Harrison, Krueger and Long all played tonight and will be better for the experience against a quality opposition...

After the crap start being three goals down, we showed some ticker but butchered the ball going forward and missed some gettable goals.

Prudent pruning of the list is surely required- we need to jag Josh Battle to shore up the defence and a clever and quick half back would be gold. A tall wingman (Tomlinson or Mason Wood) both unrestricted Free Agents, would be great too.

There is another flag in this list- even if we happen to miss the eight- put in an enormous pre season and tackle 2025 with renewed energy.

If, by chance, we still made the eight, I maintain that NO side will want to play us if we have anywhere near a full list...

Floreat Pica.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by ANNODAM »

doriswilgus wrote:In retrospect we were never going to win the premiership this year with so many players having such bad years.You can’t win a premiership with just a couple of players contributing each week.

The hunger has definitely gone from this side.I think most of the players are happy with one flag and that’s all they’re going to get.Judging by how they looked walking off the field tonight they didn’t look too concerned by the loss.I think it worries the fans a lot more than it worries them.
That’s because they still get paid, meanwhile fans are dishing out $$$$
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Well that is Season is over in 2024
I am Da Man
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

warburton lad wrote:I lament the absence of the following tonite through injury...

Cox, Howe, McCreery,McStay, Mihocek and Mitchell (I count McStay as he is only returning this week from an ACL) would all be in that 23 this evening if fit...That is a fair chunk of talent in anyone's book.

W
If, by chance, we still made the eight, I maintain that NO side will want to play us if we have anywhere near a full list...

Floreat Pica.
Agree totally, WL. Cox would have made an enormous difference tonight, as in every game we have lost over the last 3 weeks. I feel that his loss to the team has been perhaps the most massive of all.
McCreery's absence tonight was also huge, with the pressure and speed he creates.
We can't count Checkers, because he is gone for the year.
But yeah, with Cox back, McStay coming in, Howe returning to defence, McCreery back for the last 2 games, and with Kreuger/Ned Long showing such promise, I feel like no team will want to meet us in the finals.
Won't be winning a flag this year, but I am keeping my hopes up that we play a final (or two).
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins