Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Re: Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I posted in the Petracca thread a complex round of trades and deals we could do to actually get back into the 1st round
Brisbane will be keen for deals as will the Suns
They both have loads of academy kids coming out this draft and next
Our hard currently isn’t great but it can be improved
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 10:54 am I posted in the Petracca thread a complex round of trades and deals we could do to actually get back into the 1st round
Well copy and paste it here already lol!
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

Tom Lynch...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/shock- ... 922871f304

Dont know about this. Mechanically I could understand how it happens - you take all his $1.5m he's due next year (in the last year of his contract) and spread it out to $2.5m over 3 years (for arguments sake). Lynch is happy, because he's locked in for two extra years before footy mortality. Richmond are happy as they have $1.5m off their books for season 2025. We would probably be happy because we get a key forward and he costs an average of $830k/y and you can potentially back end it once a few veterans retire at the end of '25.

BUT, we are arguably making the "age cliff" even more precipitous when it eventually arrives? He is also injury prone AND I don't know who would fall out of the team with Checkers and McStay also fully fit. Ideally we could find Tom Lynch aged 29 instead...

The article also says Melbourne would be into him. Logically that makes a lot more sense for them. But its just ringing in my ears that the coach is expicitly on the record stating we want a key forward... (I'm just not sure he's the right one)
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

A few thoughts:

* The coach has indicated that we are in the market for a key position forward.
* Tom Lynch would be excellent- but he is 32 at the end of October- is he able to play three years??
* Peter Wright would be very good- 28 in a fortnight and at 203cms a pinch-hit second ruck- Replacing Cox??
* The Whitlock twins are exciting prospects but young and would require draft capital we do not possess currently.
* Bernie Quinlan and Plugger Lockett are just a tad too old...

I think that Lynch will be in black and white in 2025- and he will be an unstoppable force as we drive towards Flag number 17...
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

I wonder if McRae's comment about a key forward was a misdirection. We do need a key defender however to fill the gap we havent been able to fill in 2024...
As for Lynch - too old and injury prone for me.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

This is probably a good time to remind all, it’s in everyone’s best interests to heavily support the Dogs in the elimination final against the Hawks. The further the Hawks go, the worse our draft picks look.
Currently our selections are 32, 48 and 50 and if the Hawks win, they will change again.

There are four basic strategies available to improve our hand in the upcoming draft -

a) trade out our 2025 first round selection and buy into the 2024 draft. In this instance no other selections from Collingwoods 2025 draft hand can be traded out ( a rule that not many are aware of )
b ) trade out either one OR both our second and third round selections in the 2025 draft. In this instance, the club is then not permitted to trade out its own 2025 first round selection ( also a rule not many are aware of)
c ) trade out a quality best 18 player and receive a decent draft pick in return.
d ) trade out out between one to three fringe players, receive a likely third rounder for each and then bundle those picks up accordingly to get closer to the pointy end of the draft. Keeping in mind, we already have a mid range second rounder and two mid range third rounders in our pocket. This is possibly the most painless and least “ Inflammatory “ strategy to improve our situation but there’s always the risk of those players improving elsewhere and coming back to haunt us.
Win some, lose some. That will never change.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Pete 70
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Pete 70 »

I think if you are taking that much salary, you are solving a big problem for them, and so there’s a pick coming your way as well.
Dispatches from a foreign land
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^If indeed the F/S is any motivation for the tigers to retain Lynch, he's literally limping to 100 games. On the last 2 years output, output that's another 3 seasons to qualify...
The medical would be interesting, 8 games in 2 years, just how banged up is he? Perhaps if we sent him to Healing Hans, the Dalai Lama and a Haitian Vodou doctor we might just get him right. Richmond could well discount him while they can, perhaps we could get some of the Treloar / Grundy money back of sorts...

Checkers and McStay cut an equal part of their careers as key backs. I wonder what a structural change someone like Lynch would bring to our line-up. Would he be a key cog in bringing us another flag within the next 3 years? Perhaps, or spread $750k x2 over the same time to trade in two x 75-125 game players where we have a glaring deficit.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I suspect the club's expectations (or not) of drafting Alex Condon as our future full forward, will weigh heavily on our recruiting strategy. Personally, I think our main need is for a key defender and a potential A grade midfielder.
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

I think we will end up with Mark Keane as the additional key defender. He's not SOS Silvagni, but I saw enough this year to think he would provide good service for the next 5+ years (he'll be 25 come the start of next season). Him, Dean, Moore, Quaynor, Maynard would be a pretty good starting point. Would still have Frampton as depth and obviously Howe for the 2025 tilt.

I dont think that the commentary from the coach about a key forward was a misdirection. BUT I do think a lot of media has taken the comment about a key forward a little out of context. He also said we'd like a midfielder and a key back and a winger etc and it was the key forward that journo's have siezed upon.

I don't think there will be a pick to accompany Lynch if that trade were to occur. Richmond won't be bulging at the salary cap seams in 2025 with Bolton, Dusty, Rioli, Baker all likely leaving (and Lynch only has a single year left) and they will have an absolute draft bounty. I expect if someone is getting Lynch they will ba taking his entire salary and that's it.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

Anyone have plans to keep Nick Daicos post Tasmania
The AFL will target him to join Tas $1000000 pa plus $1000000 pa as a AFL ambassador
Just think Gary Abblet Jr to Gold Coast
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
Newelly
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Newelly »

RudeBoy wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 3:24 pm I suspect the club's expectations (or not) of drafting Alex Condon as our future full forward, will weigh heavily on our recruiting strategy. Personally, I think our main need is for a key defender and a potential A grade midfielder.
Condon would be a 6 foot 10 full forward. Hmmm. While they can pluck the high kicks they are better utilised in the ruck and in addition the ball drop issue means taller players are usually more inaccurate goal kickers. We forget the FF guns of yesteryear like Dunstall and Lockett were only around 6ft 2in.
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

neil wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 4:28 pm Anyone have plans to keep Nick Daicos post Tasmania
The AFL will target him to join Tas $1000000 pa plus $1000000 pa as a AFL ambassador
Just think Gary Abblet Jr to Gold Coast
Ablett had a poor relationship with Bomber and that was a major part of him leaving Geebung. Nick would be more likely to join Carlton that Tas. Just saying...
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

I think Tom Lynch will be perfect for Wade and the rehab team given Kreuger’s absence from their group this year. He could spend the whole of 2025 there without ever seeing the MCG surface again. Would rather leave him to rot in tigers rehab team. Melbourne may have a spot as Ben Brown has left their rehab team.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Newelly wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 4:31 pm We forget the FF guns of yesteryear like Dunstall and Lockett were only around 6ft 2in.
People are taller now, many of the Ruck guns of yesteryear were 6'2" -6'4". As far as tall full forwards go, Paul Salmon did OK.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.