Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by Jezza »

Not entirely convinced on Stringer, but I can be persuaded by others that he would be a good option for us.
I've heard the club approached him years ago back in 2017 (when he was subsequently traded to Essendon), but we were scared off by some off-field issues at the time.

My biggest issue with him is he looks like he's been carrying too much weight for years.
Further, I'd argue he peaked all the way back in 2015 when he kicked 56 goals and was an All-Australian. Since then, he never rediscovered that form.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Personally I wouldn’t go anywhere near Stringer given our list profile but I can understand the short term attraction. I’d say he’s one soft tissue injury away from being redundant and that’s bound to occur next year
Buon Giorno
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

^ When you say 'soft tissue' do you mean jelly donut?
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Former Magpie president (Eddie) declares Jake Stringer desire

"With Stringer dissatisfied at the one-year deal extension from the Bombers, McGuire has floated the idea of Collingwood making a bold bid to bring the 30-year-old forward to the Magpies."

https://www.zerohanger.com/former-magpi ... re-154715/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

Gee I’m a bit glass half full with this

I try to envisage the good out come & dread a bad one.

Not prepared to risk is me
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

We've enquired about Houston even though he has declared he will be a Port player next year and beyond. Cant see how it'd get done as Port will expect 2 first rounders.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I’ve heard we’ve put a 4 year offer to Peatling’s management (he’s open to offers as he’s down there pecking order)
As a mid season draft recruit he won’t take a lot in terms of draft picks and GWS won’t be playing hardball on him they have other priorities to worry about and limited cap space
We are also still interested in landing either Hobbs or Davies as well.
We appear to be really wanting to bolster our midfield with bigger in and under players which to me signals that we are planning for Pendles not to be attending contests as much so he’s likely to be used as a utility HBF or HF as required
If we also get these younger bigger faster inside mids there’s unlikely to be a role for Sidey in there as well. Could he play the Noble role if required ?
I think the clubs thinking is get bigger bodies in and around the contest to not only be a more contested team but provide some protection for Nick going forward. He can play outside more (maybe a wing role or off the HFF) but it signals some definite changes to our midfield group

The Noble deal will be done I’ve heard. The club isn’t going to stand in his way and they believe we have a couple options to fill the void
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 2:31 pm If we also get these younger bigger faster inside mids there’s unlikely to be a role for Sidey in there as well. Could he play the Noble role if required ?
Noble's game is about leg speed, Sidey is endurance. This years stats show, interestingly enough, that they're both pretty close to average meters gained (Noble is 5th highest in the team at 368 vs 7th for Sidey at 333). However efficiency of disposal is 81.5 vs 65.8, so Nobes is breaking lines through pace, while Sidey seems to be more bombing it long.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

With Pendles close to retirement and possibly Crisp not too far behind, we definitely need a couple of big bodied and classy midfielders. Hopefully Allan can fill one of those vacancies, but we will surely need another. Of course Long may improve, but he doesn't impress me, so another midfield recruit is a must.
Newelly
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Newelly »

RudeBoy wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:21 pm Of course Long may improve, but he doesn't impress me, so another midfield recruit is a must.
Brandon Parfitt's name has been tossed around.
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

Its tough because I want good players but I also want picks to be a chance to draft the players I want. You can't have both.

What are we thinking RE: Houston? Is that any chance of happening?

I think the club pulled out on Smith long ago and has again with Petracca. Next year's first rounder is up for grabs, so will we use it for an established player, or to get back into the late first round this year?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Presti35 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 12:01 am Its tough because I want good players but I also want picks to be a chance to draft the players I want. You can't have both.

Next year's first rounder is up for grabs, so will we use it for an established player, or to get back into the late first round this year?
If I understand correctly, unless these TWATS at AFL change drafting rules again, is that we will take Tom McGuane with our first pick in 2025, as F&S, regardless of what round it might be.
Therefore we trade out our first pick for 2025 into 2024, if we find another club willing to do so and take that 2025 first rounder off our hands.
So our 2025 second pick defaults to our first pick, even if it falls into second round?
Because some arsehole [no names...] is getting sacked if this gets ballsed up...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Jezza wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:27 pm I've heard the club approached him years ago back in 2017 (when he was subsequently traded to Essendon), but we were scared off by some off-field issues at the time....
Comparatively speaking, would same alleged "off-field issues" from 2017 get a player deregistered for the same alleged offence in 2024, regardless if any charges were laid?
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

Stringer would be a good pick-up for a minimum outlay, but you have to commit to two years with triggers for a possible third. The issue I have with Stringer, his form is erratic and he's all about Stringer. Throw in, do we want another aging player? He's a good fit for the Saints.
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Bucks5 »

Don't lose sight that trading and player movement is a two way street.

I have read on another forum (EB&W) that Port Adelaide are trying to poach Beau McCreery for the 2026 season and will be offering him a 4 year contract on big dollars. I think he would be a big loss if we do not match their offer.
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?