Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Presti35
Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 186 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

Post by Presti35 »

A thread over in Nicks Other about the 2025 Free Agents: https://magpies.net/viewtopic.php?t=93632
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Dave The Man
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Dave The Man »

I am Da Man
Culprit
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Culprit »

Dave The Man wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 9:36 pm Getting Tim Membery as a DFA

https://x.com/cleary_mitch/status/1846858632371360097
We will have the most ink in the forward line in 2025. Happy with Tim coming in.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

One topic I wanted to loop back on now that the trade period has finished is the destination club topic. We all debated this question through the year and post season.

I think it is clear now that we are a destination club due to the recruiting success of Harry and Dan. Big names, big rolls, big deals, big shoes to fill over coming years and a big boost for 2025.

It’s early but this bodes well in coming years as the large veteran brigade retire and replacements come in from other clubs and managing change effectively will be the hardest part of that. We will still need gems and role players to come from the 2or3 draft picks each year too, but it’s a positive vibe again now
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark of the last quarter
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 166 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Culprit wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2024 7:45 am
Dave The Man wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 9:36 pm Getting Tim Membery as a DFA

https://x.com/cleary_mitch/status/1846858632371360097
We will have the most ink in the forward line in 2025. Happy with Tim coming in.
Agree, I don’t have him as best 23 but you don’t get your best team on the ground very often, anyway. He’s the back up for the likes of Elliot and Miochek when they aren’t available or need to be managed. He’s not tall ( 188cm ) but he plays tall and most of all, he’s a regular goal kicker. He just strikes me as player who will contribute and add value when he’s given his chance.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Reminds me of Howe for some reason (prob the ink). Similar size, strong mark.
SLORT
Has liked: 260 times
Been liked: 149 times

Post by SLORT »

I reckon if he gets a chance with us, and we get a sniff at a flag, he'll be one of those players that goes to the next level. I mean, could you imagine how he's feeling right now? Walking into a powerhouse after slogging away at the Aints for the last decade. Plus the warpaint works better in black and white stripes...I think it's called the "zebra effect". Makes you harder to tackle.
K
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by K »

The Black and White Lion wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2024 9:24 am...
I think it is clear now that we are a destination club due to the recruiting success of Harry and Dan. Big names, big rolls, big deals, big shoes to fill over coming years and a big boost for 2025.
Nah, reckon that's too optimistic. Weren't Dan's 1st choice. Or his 2nd. And then Dan was embarrassing himself by flip-flopping between saying he's def. staying at Port and not...

We're just the Vic club that could get a deal done with Port.

$$$ matters a lot too. Any club that could rort the salary club would be a great destination club!! Maybe once we've finally got Grundy's $300k/year off the books...
Culprit
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Culprit »

$ $ and Job Security are the number one drivers. We are talking about Professional sportspeople. After that, numerous things come into play.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

The Black and White Lion wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2024 9:24 am One topic I wanted to loop back on now that the trade period has finished is the destination club topic. We all debated this question through the year and post season.

It’s early but this bodes well in coming years as the large veteran brigade retire and replacements come in from other clubs and managing change effectively will be the hardest part of that. We will still need gems and role players to come from the 2or3 draft picks each year too, but it’s a positive vibe again now
I think the biggest thing is that, in recent years, we have secured virtually every player we wanted to secure and moved on everyone we wanted to move on. We have also done it without stupid haggling, so other clubs know what our offer is and the players we want to bring in are secured early. Of course, money is important - but keeping your promises and having a reputation as a straight negotiator is critical. The Club seems to know what it wants, what it will give and how to manage each trade professionally. Not every call is going to work out - but we’re not causing dumb Mexican standoffs and we’re not flying stupid kites.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 116 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

P4S is exactly right that plays a huge part in dealing with clubs and managers alike
The Suns made it clear they wanted to deal with us early on so that put us in a better position to land Houston
On Membrey I mentioned somewhere else could he play the Checkers role and Checkers push down back if needed to play FB and Moore to CHB ?
Not saying it will happen but given our lack of key defenders and Checkers background being a defender we wouldn’t be robbing Peter to pay Paul like before
Just a thought
K
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by K »

The Weed is finally available...
glasseyevfx
Been liked: 1 time

Post by glasseyevfx »

yes - I was wondering about that. I've not been following him but the collingwood connection would be nice. the profile said he was being played forward and had a good game against Geelong. What is he 28 and a big key unit? I'm thinking Moore needs help down there and a body player would be good - frampton tries... Former top 10 - the whole thing seems a bit sideways
We shall set our course by the stars and not ships that pass in the night
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 166 times

Post by Pies2016 »

K wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2024 4:16 pm The Weed is finally available...
The alternative view would be “ the Weed has finally been delisted “
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Did the Dees of Dons ever play him as a Key Back. That’s his only shot at VFL now surely
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark of the last quarter