Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Big things start small.
RayByrneForPOPE

Post by RayByrneForPOPE »

I'd have Fanning in the ruck any day before Fraser.
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

samuel

Post by samuel »

I played basketball with Fanning. We require a centre give up Football and re join the NBL.

I feel sorry for him. We have been calling for a ruckman for 5 years now.
How much longer do we need to be belt at centre bounces before MM realises we need a ruckman. Richards played 10 games in 5 years unreliable, Fraser forward not ruckman relief ruckman at best, C Cloke to short, T Walker joke.
We are kidding ourselves if we believe we have a good ruck division. Show me the Stats that proves this?
16th in tap out in 05, 15th in tap out in 04.
Bring back Dak's
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

They don't grow on trees. We need a quality on baller that can replace Bucks more than we need a ruckman. We are getting slaughtered in the centre not just because of tap outs, but the quality of our clearances.

A fit Richards & Fraser will be competitive enough. Fanning in a few years.

Fanning is definitely carrying an injury in my opinion; I looked at the replay of the StKilda game where he crashed down on his shoulder. Trouble is there is no one else to play. Give him a break; he is obviously being played in pain.
Miz

Post by Miz »

samuel wrote:We have been calling for a ruckman for 5 years now.
How much longer do we need to be belt at centre bounces before MM realises we need a ruckman. Richards played 10 games in 5 years unreliable, Fraser forward not ruckman relief ruckman at best, C Cloke to short, T Walker joke.
We are kidding ourselves if we believe we have a good ruck division. Show me the Stats that proves this?
16th in tap out in 05, 15th in tap out in 04.

You realize Cam Cloke is the same height as Walker and around 5 cm shorter than Richards except he can jump right?
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

DaVe86 wrote:Melbourne- Paul Johnson, Jamar duds. White has rucked all 4 quarters for a few weeks straight now. They have no one else to rely on.
That's where they erred in not keeping Darren Jolly.
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

Caution: Hot Pies wrote:When Rocca, Fraser, Richards are back it's see you later Fanning.
I don't think you have a clue about footy HP. Fanning will be around for many years as no2 ruckman, behind GR. Fraser CHF with Pebs anywhere you like.
Give the kid a chance and he will be a star.
GO THE MIGHTY PIES
perthmagpie

Post by perthmagpie »

When oh when will the people on here understand that players can and do have natural improvement. They start off young and through experience and coaching get better and better and maybe become good players. Fanning is doing the job because he was asked to. Whether rucking too early is of detriment to his chances of developing into a great ruckman remains to be seen. He gives it his all and looks to me to have a great attitude towards his game. MM has frequently mentioned the pace of his development is staggering. Frankly I think he knows more than I would. You can get used to Fanning being around for a quite a while yet.

ps. Saw an interview with some WCoast players recently who said they laughed at Dean Cox's skills and ability in his first couple of years. He was a gangly, unco kid who was invested in by Worsfold and his recruiters. These guys are paid experts in recruiting potential talent. It's their job to uncover guys like Cox, Brogan and Fanning. They see things that less experienced people like us don't.
Magpies love pies(Lol)
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

mudlark wrote:
Caution: Hot Pies wrote:When Rocca, Fraser, Richards are back it's see you later Fanning.
I don't think you have a clue about footy HP. Fanning will be around for many years as no2 ruckman, behind GR. Fraser CHF with Pebs anywhere you like.
Give the kid a chance and he will be a star.
I doubt he will pass Fraser. Is there room for all three in the side (Richards, Fanning, Fraser)? Richards is a ruckman who can float across halfback, Fraser a forward who rucks and Fanning - a ruckman. I don't think that we would ever go in so top heavy.
etcetc

From MM post match press conference

Post by etcetc »

Reporter: Mick, just on David Fanning.Is it difficult for a young guy to have to learn the game, the art of ruckwork in the big game like this.

MM: Of course it is.
Rep: So you're willing to keep going..

MM: I could ruck Jason Cloke the rest of the year; he's 189. Shane Wakelin's 192 and a key back. Guy Richards, Cameron Cloke and Josh Fraser for most of the year haven't been available to me. So its a great learning curve for the player. We've little option, and under the circumstances, delighted to give David Fanning every opportunity - to prove to other young players who may be juggling between sports that Aussie Rules will give them the opportunity and there is a place for most
of those players..... I'm assuming you are saying he was not good today, David is a young man into 1st year of senior football. He's tired, he's 21/22, played basketball up to 2 years ago,played Williamstown 2nds last year, and if he improves like he did from last year to this year, we'll have a ruckman next year; and we'll be able to do what we can with Josh and Guy Richards and maybe have the best combination in the competition.

...........about Fanning jumping too early.....

MM: How early do you have to be, to jump over a bloke who's 6 ft "35" [sic].You virtually have to take off last year to get anywhere near the ball.

I'll try to attach the press conference about Fanning [ this occurred straight after MM blasted the umps]
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Loved that 6ft 35 comment. Made me laugh.

Re: Jumping early. If the other ruckman doesn't jump at all, then any time is early. Some of Fanning's frees against were because The Freak never left the ground, so Flaps had to jump early just to get near the ball.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
etcetc

I tried to attach part of the MM press conference

Post by etcetc »

I thought I had attached a .wmv of the press conference. I can't seem to see it... anyone know why... or does it get sent elsewhere
bent_halo

Post by bent_halo »

i_luv_tarkyn! wrote:He tries his heart out ... you can't ask anymore than that!

I see improvement in him every week and it can't be easy the way he has had to come in and take over as the number 1 ruckman.
He is still learning the game as Mick said.

Keep going Fanning !!

*jess
I agree with you. At least he's having a crack at it and is willing to learn. Too many people are quick to judge but considering we have little options when it comes to ruck now (due to injury and what not), I think its admirable the fact he's out there doing his best. Yes, it gets frustrating when the tap doesn't go our way, and especially if we're losing at the time, but I say good on him for still having the guts to go out there and play :)
tazzies_girl

Post by tazzies_girl »

:Holland Licuria Fanning:

Guys check out my creativity

=Dutchie Licca Fanny