Rookie 2: Welcome to Pies - Brenden Abbott (Claremont)

All trade and draft talk here thanks..... this means you DTM!!!!

Moderator: bbmods

Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Lazza wrote:Hope the personal reasons he headed home to Albany are in the past and he doesnt do a Beames on us.
He is a Rookie Pick so Less Hurt IF he does get homesick
I am Da Man
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Never thought I'd see the day I'd be supporting Abbott.

His nickname could be the Mad Monk.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Collingwood 4 eternity

Post by Collingwood 4 eternity »

Joel wrote:Has the same name as the Postcard Bandit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenden_Abbott (surely a nickname in that?).
Mark Fine on Sen mentioned last night that there is a rookie named Abbott in the draft that is related to "The Postcard Bandit"

It probably is him

Was he the only Abbott in the draft ?
1990 Grand Final :
"From the back pocket, this will be probably the last kick, he need not even kick it, the drought is over. 32 years they've waited, let the celebrations begin" Sandy Roberts
Bruce Gonsalves
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Bruce Gonsalves »

I'm not sure if anyone is aware but Abbott is the nephew of Brendan Abbott - ' The Postcard Bandit '.

So as for nicknames, how about 'Postcards'.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

another penetrating left footer - seems to be a bit of a trend along with physical hard nuts

Watching his footage he reminds me of Darryl White
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

I am Da Man
Joel

Post by Joel »

Lazza wrote:Hope the personal reasons he headed home to Albany are in the past and he doesnt do a Beames on us.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport ... ion-again/

Claremont tyro Brenden Abbott says achieving a settled lifestyle outside of football has been more important to him than achieving his AFL dream.

The 19-year-old was touted as a draft prospect last year based on his explosive speed, strength and vertical leap, having recorded a rare 2.87 second time in the 20m sprint at the 2013 State combine to showcase his athletic ability.

But his decision to leave the national under-18s championships early to return home to Albany for personal reasons and question marks over his stamina and off-field habits led to the powerfully built footballer being overlooked on draft day.

Abbott returned to Perth over the off-season and, with the help of Claremont officials including football manager Dean Hors- ington, secured a full-time train-eeship in January with the Fire and Emergency Services Authority.

That stability has gradually translated into improving form on the field, with the teenager producing his best game of the season last Saturday against Swan Districts at the Claremont Showground.

Abbott booted a career-high 5.4 playing as the team's full- forward. His performance was all the more impressive given his direct opponent was WA full-back and Swans captain Tallan Ames.

The draft hopeful said he felt his life was coming together off the field, which he described as his main goal for 2014.

"I wanted to just have a consistent lifestyle, to come up and really just work, live, be healthy and enjoy my footy," Abbott said.

"That was my goal coming in. Whether or not I played good or not wasn't really on my to-do list, but so be it.

"I think it (getting drafted) is in a way a stepping stone for me to just gradually become a better person, a better role model."

Abbott said he left the State program last year mainly to care for his ill mother and help with issues linked to his family.

"I was very disappointed knowing the chance I could have had, but on the flipside I'm here, I'm on track, the clock's gone around and I feel excited and happy with where I'm going," Abbott said.

"I look back and I see the disappointment that was there. I could've, should've, but now is the time to just really look forward rather than looking back."

Abbott has played every game since round nine and now has 15 goals in his first WAFL league season.

It is believed he is on West Coast's radar, with the Eagles in the market for strong, fast midfielders who are also versatile.

Abbott was switched into the forward line this season after playing much of his junior football as a half-back flanker. He said he had set his sights on finishing the year strongly, starting with tomorrow's clash against East Fremantle at the Showground.

"I've always played half-back, but you've got to be able to play everywhere nowadays," Abbott said. "It's a good learning curve."
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

I am Da Man
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Dave The Man wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkxH_xrq4-o&feature=youtu.be
Thanks Dave.

He's built like a brick shizzen houzzen. I'm really excited about this kid. With a season of WAFL behind him, he could be ready to go. He could very well play senior footy early in the season. One thing's for sure, there'll be no spots for soft c#cks in our team this year. Absolutely rapt. :D
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Wrapped that we have taken a chance on this kid.

If he and Maynard can both make it at AFL level then look out.

We've wanted some naturally aggressive types with size on our list and Hine has delivered.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport ... -prospect/
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
roar

Post by roar »

Fast, skills and good height. All good!
kill for collingwood!
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Touch of the Fevs about him.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Wokko wrote:Touch of the Fevs about him.
Does seem to show a bit of that sort of attitude in some of his play
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Welcome to the club Brenden :)

He certainly comes across as a risky pick but it could pay off big time if Brendan gets fit and is able to break his way into the side.

He definitely looks like a hard nut who's not scared to go in hard to win his own ball. He also has a good left foot going by his highlights reel.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆