BOTH Pendles and Sidey should retire.

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: BOTH Pendles and Sidey should retire.

Post by lazzadesilva »

lazzadesilva wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 2:59 pm Let there be no ageism at Collingwood 🙄 Otherwise we will be accused of racism, ageism with sexism to follow by the hack media 😩
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
stoliboy
Been liked: 47 times

Post by stoliboy »

I don’t know if they should both retire but I love the discussion.

If I was to choose I would retire Sidebottom before Pendles. Having Pendles around our young kids would be fantastic for their development in a coaching sense.

But maybe Pendles could play less in the middle and more in some other role.

But am totally in favour of moving on a number of our older premiership players to give younger players more and faster development time.
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Dad's army confirmed for 2025...

Third Collingwood veteran confirms future
  • Scott Pendlebury
  • Jeremy Howe, and now
  • Steele Sidebottom

https://www.zerohanger.com/third-collin ... re-154366/

Take note, we got Titch Mitchell
...but revitalised Hawthorn in top 4 for the finals!!! I rest my case.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

I agree with the premise of the OP; we clearly struggled at times this year because we were playing veterans who weren't at their best, and that problem is only going to intensify next year if we can't give the next crop of players a chance to develop at senior level.

Sidebottom I'm 50/50 on – I think there were times this season where he showed he still has a lot to contribute – but I can't see any sense in Pendlebury playing on beyond the opportunity to break records.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
lazzadesilva
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I fully support the club deciding to play the veterans for another year. They can only have an extremely positive effect on the younger players. WI go against the grain and fully support the club’s position that with the currently injured players returning and a top up trade or two for gap filling players, Collingwood can be a flag contender next season in spite of the hack media jerks putting fantasy timelines on the flag clock period 🙄 as if they would know about internal workings of the club. I support the club in many facets, not only as a football fan and have full confidence in their ability to do what they can to win the flag next season. If any posters have reasons to believe that I’m wrong in my comments, please let me know why. I don’t think my confidence is misplaced but happy to receive comments that disagree with my opinion.
Last edited by lazzadesilva on Sat Aug 24, 2024 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
dalyc

Post by dalyc »

Nope. If the kids are good enough they’ll force the seniors out. Until then we play the best team we have. That means Scott and Steele are in.

Loved Allen last night. Parker showing good signs too.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Pendles and Sidey will probably retire at the end of next year.

In an ideal world, they might have retired after the Premiership but they clearly remain motivated enough to keep playing and I think their form for the most part has warranted them being retained. If the youngsters come along and start forcing their way into the team, it will make the transition easier to phase them out.

If we're retaining veterans for 2025, then I think a Premiership isn't out of the question. Clearly that will be the aim from the powers to be.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Jezza wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 10:31 pm
^this

i was waiting for the april fool joke!
cmon guys, get real!!!

someone knocking Mitchell? would we have 2023 without him?

you need experience and cool heads, and all three of sidey, Pendles and Howe would walk into any team in the competition

gees, chill!!

no one can take 2023 away from us, we fuxcking earned it, and im still over the moon!

I stood there with Jezza and my daughter in the rain for a 67 minute final quarter for the year, and i would not have missed it for the world!

GO PIES!!!

BRING ON 2025!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

REALLY???

Sidebottom tore that Melbscum hack Viney several new ones in the final round and Pendles worst is still equal with most AFL players best.

Forget about the mindless media and their orchestrated slash and hack tactics - without our unbelievably sustained injury run we would have been playing finals - probably top 4 finals.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Take_a_Screamer wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 4:44 pm Dad's army confirmed for 2025...

• Scott Pendlebury
  • Jeremy Howe, and now
  • Steele Sidebottom

Interesting that Sidey wanted to play on and made that clear most of the season yet the club has taken basically until after the last game to get a deal done
Ever wonder why ?
Little birdie told me it was to do with a clause his management wanted in the contract that would basically guarantee him that he wouldn’t be demoted to VFL (on form obviously) so he could reach the 350 game milestone
The club wouldn’t agree to it
The word is this was Wright’s last act as list manager to basically say sign the deal the way it is or play elsewhere in 2025.
I get the premise of a veteran player not wanting to fade out in the VFL. That’s understandable but you would have hoped his management would have had more faith in the players ability to maintain the necessary form to warrant AFL selection each week.
Based on the last month Sidey hasn’t been bad and done a good job with the run with role.
I doubt we will employ such a role next season given we will have Mitchell JDG back in the midfield so we would assume we are backing our players to win the ball more often.
Finding Sidey a role each week may be harder if we have a full list of players but it doesn’t mean the coaches won’t find a role most weeks.
You would hope that there is pressure on Sidey as well as Howe and Pendles and all the older players from the younger ones each week.
Personally I think a slight mindset change is required for next season.
In times past if there was a decision that was like 50/50 between promoting a kid or playing a older player the club will go with the kid as it’s preferred option where in the past they’ve leaned towards experience
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Geezus fricken Christ, did he have an affair with your mother? Do you watch the games? He will finish in a reasonable position in our votes, andthe club best and fairest, he was brilliant on Friday.

He could double Nicks stats and you’d whinge he forgot to tuck his shirt in or clean his teeth!

Your hate for him is almost unhinged! I don’t get it!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
dalyc

Post by dalyc »

Take_a_Screamer wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 4:44 pm Dad's army confirmed for 2025...

• Scott Pendlebury
  • Jeremy Howe, and now
  • Steele Sidebottom

Rest your case on what? They’ve won SFA. Come back when they’ve won something and when they haven’t had the easy draw.
dalyc

Post by dalyc »

think positive wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 8:41 am Your hate for him is almost unhinged! I don’t get it!
He’s beyond help and reason.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I reckon we keep all our veterans. And get Hawkins, Dusty, Heppell to play for us next year.
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 14 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

Jezza wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 10:31 pm If we're retaining veterans for 2025, then I think a Premiership isn't out of the question. Clearly that will be the aim from the powers to be.
I suppose that's the silver lining in the club keeping the veterans around.
The coaching group must genuinely believe we're a chance in 2025.