"The Circle" can VC recipient.

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

^ Yes, I was thinking of that too. And even less consequential stories like the Australian unit driving around the Afghan desert with a Nazi flag on their vehicle. There’s a pretty dark undercurrent revealed in these reports that I think undercuts the narrative of Roberts-Smith just being a bad apple. There are clearly people with strong principles and admirable character in the army; whether they’re in the majority or the ones shaping military culture is not so clear to me.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
David

Post by David »

think positive wrote:I don’t believe you respect authority at all
Do you?

For those who do, I’d actually be curious to know why.

People are in power to various extents in different realms of society. Ben Roberts-Smith was one of them: he had power over the lives of Afghan civilians in his neck of the woods, because he was a big man with a gun and a checkpoint. He was also in a position of power within his unit, and his fellow soldiers were afraid of him and what he might do to them if they crossed him. Is that the kind of authority we should respect?

One can reasonably argue that power and authority are necessary in any society, on many levels. When you’re a child, you have parents and teachers, and then later you have bosses and maybe sports coaches. All the while, you have a government, and judges, and police. How do you respond to that authority? Do you trust it? Do you believe that the position justifies whichever actions flow from it? Or do you need to preserve some capacity for independent thinking, criticism and doubt when needed, and even willingness to resist?

I’m guessing most (though certainly not all) people would say "yes" to the latter. So how does that square with "respecting" authority?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

You’re twisting it. I have respect for the vast majority of cops and armed forces that do the right thing.

As I respected teachers coaches and even umpires that deserve my respect.

I see the good and the positives, you seem to think everyone in authority is out to get you or what ever they can get. I actually believe the majority want to save/hellp people
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David

Post by David »

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

https://www.crikey.com.au/2023/06/02/be ... mes-anzac/

I hope now we can stop the overly gratuitous and overly nationalistic Anzac Day mythology. Sure have the solemn day with recognition but not the jingoistic / nationalist crap that goes with it and it’s particularly unAustralian.

Ben Roberts Smith narcissism funded by the arrogance of the wealthy elites indeed being found to be a lying murderer on the balance of probabilities, may have done us all a favour.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

God bless America!

I **** love the pomp and ceremony at every sporting event big or small!

Memorial Day at Charlotte raceway is something I will never forget!

Celebrate, remember, give thanks, to the vast majority that deserve it, or be miserable insincere apologetic bastard!

**** love Anzac day at the G, it’s magnificent and respectful.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

The USA is a mess of contradictions though, as you likely would have seen.

While they make a big deal about memorial day and all sorts of hoo hah over serving military, everywhere you go you find homeless and often disabled veterans begging for money.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

Yep, and I think that says something about whom all this jingoism is for and whom it benefits. It certainly isn’t those who’ve served.
watt price tully wrote:https://www.crikey.com.au/2023/06/02/ben-roberts-smith-war-crimes-anzac/
Great and sobering piece. Everyone should read it.
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

think positive wrote:I don’t believe you respect authority at all
Not even Eric Cartman?
kill for collingwood!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

That may be the exception. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

David wrote:Yep, and I think that says something about whom all this jingoism is for and whom it benefits. It certainly isn’t those who’ve served.
watt price tully wrote:https://www.crikey.com.au/2023/06/02/ben-roberts-smith-war-crimes-anzac/
Great and sobering piece. Everyone should read it.
Paywalled.
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.” - Winston Churchill

Be careful about passing judgment on actions during war from the comfort of your lounge room.
- Side By Side -
David

Post by David »

Does "be careful" mean pass judgement after careful consideration, or squib it entirely?

Some of us are happy for wars to be carried out in their name but get squeamish and defensive if they have to look too closely at how the sausage is made. Others of us have moral principles and don’t see foreigners as scum to be exterminated at will every time a "rough man" wants to blow off a bit of steam. #&$% him and anyone who is an apologist for him.