#43 Charlie Dean

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

As a KPD he's an upgrade on Will Kelly, which wouldn't hard. Ruscoe has been our best VFL KPD hands down all year despite being undersized for the role.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
BazBoy
Been liked: 26 times

Post by BazBoy »

Considering he has not played all year he did well
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

He was very solid. He was out positioned early ( and that off shore wind doesn’t help either ) but once he got used to the tempo, he easily held his own.
He’s not overly agile, so the key to him playing a higher grade will be winning his fair share of one on ones in that last line of defence.
Hopefully that taste of game day will inspire him to new levels in the pre season.
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

Was really happy for Charlie considering all the bad luck with injuries etc but don’t think so I’m sorry to say. Not close to Marty Hore’s perormance in any way shape or form who also played in same the conditions but was able to dominate and was the stand out down back for both team…he never made it into our first team….
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
David

Post by David »

I think you’re being unduly harsh and much too hasty in your assessment. He’s just played his first competitive football match in thirteen months and something like his tenth VFL game overall. Hore is a quality veteran with AFL experience; you’d expect him to perform as well as he did on the day.

It also helps that Williamstown’s midfielders were actually hitting short targets rather than just bombing it aimlessly into the forward line like we were doing…
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Said by Zed

Post by Said by Zed »

Agreed. And I accept your point. What I was referring to albeit not clearly articulated was that Marty was a solid contributor week in week out and ‘we’ still didn’t think he was good enough…everyone seems to have high expectations of Charlie but honestly I just don’t see it. Really hope I’m wrong…all the best Charlie…wishing you every success!
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
David

Post by David »

Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

At 20 years old, Dean won the Fotbergill- Round - Mitchell medal for being the most promising young player in the VFL. Since then and two years on, he hadn’t played a full game of footy until the weekend. Any judgement on his ability right now is premature at best. It’s often said that full back is the easiest position to play but the hardest position to learn. It’s all about angles and sacrificing your own game for the greater good. Dean needs to first play the position week in, week out for at least a season before he can improve on any promise he showed as a 20 year old.
Nobody thought Sam Collins was much chop after being delisted by Fremantle who selected him as a late pick from BoxHill. After his delisting, he then spent some time back in the VFL at Werribee as fullback and was selected by the GCS as a concession pick in 2019. The rest is history.
Said by Zed

Post by Said by Zed »

I agree about the intricacies of playing full back…instinct and natural ability plays a massive part….more often than not if you don’t have it you never will…at least to the standard required. Much like you can’t teach speed….either you’ve got it or you ain’t.

Wishing Charlie the best!!! But there’s so many talented fit, fast, ruthless fullbacks out there in state leagues who have for one reason or another been overlooked we should be exploring i.e. Collins, Adams etc.
Said by Zed

Post by Said by Zed »

Pies2016 wrote:At 20 years old, Dean won the Fotbergill- Round - Mitchell medal for being the most promising young player in the VFL. Since then and two years on, he hadn’t played a full game of footy until the weekend. Any judgement on his ability right now is premature at best. It’s often said that full back is the easiest position to play but the hardest position to learn. It’s all about angles and sacrificing your own game for the greater good. Dean needs to first play the position week in, week out for at least a season before he can improve on any promise he showed as a 20 year old.
Nobody thought Sam Collins was much chop after being delisted by Fremantle who selected him as a late pick from BoxHill. After his delisting, he then spent some time back in the VFL at Werribee as fullback and was selected by the GCS as a concession pick in 2019. The rest is history.
I agree about the intricacies of playing full back…instinct and natural ability plays a massive part….more often than not if you don’t have it you never will…at least to the standard required. Much like you can’t teach speed….either you’ve got it or you ain’t.

Wishing Charlie the best!!! But there’s so many talented fit, fast, ruthless fullbacks out there in state leagues who have for one reason or another been overlooked we should be exploring i.e. Collins, Adams etc.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Said by Zed wrote:Was really happy for Charlie considering all the bad luck with injuries etc but don’t think so I’m sorry to say. Not close to Marty Hore’s perormance in any way shape or form who also played in same the conditions but was able to dominate and was the stand out down back for both team…he never made it into our first team….
You generally are glass half empty on all prognostications.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Said by Zed

Post by Said by Zed »

Blind faith is the enemy of truth.

Ruthless realism and honesty is the key to ultimate success.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Bumped from page 7 to the front page!

Congratulations to Charlie Dean for making his AFL debut on Saturday night against GWS Giants at the Showground for Livestock.
It has been 834 days since he was drafted, undoubtedly there's a chapter reserved in this year's Club annuls about resilience following adversity and a picture of Chas Dean.

A moment in time that Charlie will never forget.
https://x.com/CollingwoodFC/status/1765 ... 66489?s=20

Think Charlie was a little bit caught of guard by the news
https://x.com/CollingwoodFC/status/1765 ... 02998?s=20
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
think better
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

Brilliant news - great to see the genuine excitement from the team mates
I think therefore I think - I think