Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

5150 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:I like Kookaburras.

I like Brumbies

I may have to go shopping and get some Coco Pops and Froot Loops, some C00n cheese, some chicos and redskins from the lolly aisle and get a slab of beer from the Colonial brewery, as long as it doesn't taste like Emu Export. WA can do wine well but only Adelaide does worse beer.

I buy some fads and we’ll meet at the E.S Brown oval in Toowoomba and have some toasties...
Lets meet in Tittybong. I'll bring the bong...... :P
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.

Post by 5150 »

What'sinaname wrote:^ I loved the Big Boss and Fags lollies when I was a kid
Big boss with the sugary red tip and the chocolate cigarettes were awesome.
It’s funny I had heaps of each as a tin lid but never smoked a single cigarette In my life.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

The Big Boss Cigar was good. I never liked the chocolate cigs, the paper was a PITA, the fags were good.

And yeah I smoked, but both parents smoked, I was a passive smoker from a real early age.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Bucks5 wrote:The coco pops monkey is now under threat.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/20 ... s-box.html
Remind me - what accent did he speak with in the TV ads? I can’t recall but I do have him bracketed with “Lime Fresh, Fresh Lime” - and that’s not a good thing.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

40 years of Coco Pops ads. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PMZ2oVN6CE
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

I’m not watching 27 minutes of ads - but those aren’t the Coco Pops Monkey we had/have, more like a gorilla - the advertising was obviously different in the UK. What I had in mind was Coco saying “Just like a chocolate milkshake only crunchy” - my recollection was that he must’ve been a Central or South American monkey because he had a pronounced Hispanic accent (not unlike Speedy Gonzalez to my childish ears). No doubt, Coco’s dress-style was intended to connote some stereotype, too. I don’t think there’s much doubt he was a racist caricature in the form we had him. Whatever he was, he wasn’t really a “monkey”.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

OK, I'm not arguing simply because I never saw anything like that in the ads. Maybe it was there, maybe it wasn't.

Try this one, it seems to have all the elements you're looking for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ksutTdZWM
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Can’t decide whether that MP is a genius or an idiot, lol. This certainly never occurred to me as a possibility until now...

Whatever you do, though, don’t try the special edition white chocolate Coco Pops. Take it from me.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Bucks5 wrote:The coco pops monkey is now under threat.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/20 ... s-box.html
how damn ridiculous! did anyone seriously see this add and think RACIST!!

not me, i thought crunchy chocolate milkshake, and yum, i mean smack some on some good quality valilla icecream, its da bomb, add some Kahlua, oh man!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

stui magpie wrote:OK, I'm not arguing simply because I never saw anything like that in the ads. Maybe it was there, maybe it wasn't
Well that’s obviously because you are drinking from the wrong glass - get thee some of these and bang - the light will shine down on thee and you will be enlightened and understand that this is the way forward ( the only way and the only voice) .......

https://www.cafepress.com.au/+drinking_glass,46246442
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

David wrote:Whatever you do, though, don’t try the special edition white chocolate Coco Pops. Take it from me.
They're awful. 2 preteens here + me who all love sweet cereal and nobody wants them :lol:
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

stui magpie wrote:OK, I'm not arguing simply because I never saw anything like that in the ads. Maybe it was there, maybe it wasn't.

Try this one, it seems to have all the elements you're looking for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ksutTdZWM
That’s at least a decade too late. It looks like the advertisers understood the problem, according to their own lights, and by 1982 had got rid of the thick, caricature accent.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Wokko wrote:
David wrote:Whatever you do, though, don’t try the special edition white chocolate Coco Pops. Take it from me.
They're awful. 2 preteens here + me who all love sweet cereal and nobody wants them :lol:
Agreed! Just revolting. I can do Nutri Grain, Crunchy Nut Corn Flakes, even Froot Loops on a good day, but I’d love to know how many times over the decades "Coco Pops ... but white chocolate" has come up in Kellogg’s committee meetings and been shot down before they finally succumbed. Sadly, I’m a sucker for novelty. :lol:
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Morrigu wrote:
stui magpie wrote:OK, I'm not arguing simply because I never saw anything like that in the ads. Maybe it was there, maybe it wasn't
Well that’s obviously because you are drinking from the wrong glass - get thee some of these and bang - the light will shine down on thee and you will be enlightened and understand that this is the way forward ( the only way and the only voice) .......

https://www.cafepress.com.au/+drinking_glass,46246442
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

All dickheads like Josh Thomas, that former MP and now the Coco pops clan are doing is trivialising the issue.

Doing that just makes people who are sympathetic to the real issue become less sympathetic and eventually resentful of the whole thing.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.