More states legalize Pot 8) when for Oz?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

When will it be legal here?

Within 2 years
19%
2-5 years
13%
6-10 years
6%
11-20 years
31%
It'll never happen
31%

Total votes: 16

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

stui magpie wrote:

Not so much limitless energy but there's a reason they're called party Drugs.

Dope is a depressant, like Alcohol. Perfectly suited to kicking back and being mellow whether alone or with like minded friends.

Most of the others are stimulants. people going to a rave won't want dope or alcohol, the stimulant gets them off their nut and into the music (I use that term loosely btw)
This is another, widely believed, myth about cannabis.

Different strains of the drug produce different effects....
The one, that I presume, leads most people to believe that stoners are just lazy layabouts, is Indica.

Indica strains are known for being physically sedating, perfect for relaxing with a movie or as a nightcap before bed.

Sativas typically provide more invigorating, uplifting cerebral effects that pair well with physical activity, social gatherings, and creative projects.

Hybrids tend to fall somewhere in between the indica-sativa spectrum, depending on the traits they inherit from their parent strains.

The Indica strains are preferred by growers/dealers as they grow better indoors and have a higher yield than the sativas.

Yet another reason why this drug should be legalized and controlled. Consumers would have the choice of the right strain for their desired purpose instead of getting whatever is available at the time.

I've had some really good sativa strains and partied all night long. The need/want for speed or meth effects disappears.

I highly recommend clicking on the link and reading some of the submitted comments if you want to really understand cannabis, and its users.

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-10 ... annabis-ty
Last edited by Skids on Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

I think I know that one.
Skids

Post by Skids »

Wokko

Post by Wokko »

LDP has had this policy from the start. The Greens are just desperate for relevance and good press. The fact they want a government agency to run it all is a huge red flag.
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 14 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

The Greens's policies so far this year:

1. free money (universal basic income)
2. loans for everyone (people's bank)
3. legalised ganja

So basically we all sit around stoned whilst the govt. throws money at us.
What could possibly go wrong?
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times

Post by Culprit »

Won't happen unless it's a vote winner and it isn't. I do love the argument that using dope makes you go to stronger drugs. The same nuffies said Gay Marriage will make people be Gay. Making it legal wipes out the black market and sure we will have associated issues but we have them now as dope is very much available. We also have issues with alcohol and prescription drugs which are legal.
Skids

Post by Skids »

The tax from this will be massive!

In 2017, Colorado, a state with just over 5 million people, collected $247,368,473.00 !!!

That's the TAX component, not to mention the employment the industry would create.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/revenu ... a-tax-data

The crims of Australia are making Billions every year.
Pi

Post by Pi »

Pi = Infinite = Collingwood = Always
Floreat Pica
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

Skids, whilst I agree it should be legalised in some form how are they going to handle the work place issues. As a FIFO you understand the pee in the bottle stuff. You can't legalise percieved unsafe work practices. Just curious.
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
Skids

Post by Skids »

ronrat wrote:Skids, whilst I agree it should be legalised in some form how are they going to handle the work place issues. As a FIFO you understand the pee in the bottle stuff. You can't legalise percieved unsafe work practices. Just curious.
When I was at my previous place of employment, they went to mouth swab testing. This shows impairment IE: recent (up to 12hrs) consumption.

Piss tests are easy to 'manage' once you're on-site. Working in hot climates, they want you to maintain hydration. If you only have a little bit (a few cones) on your first few days of R n R, exercise frequently and drink a litre of water every morning. You will test negative to a urine test.
I've passed many tests, sometimes within 3 days of smoking.

It's the pre-employment one that'll get ya. You almost have to be dehydratd for them to accept your sample.

Mouth swabs should be the tester here, it's totally unfair to penalise somebody for having a smoke two weeks before a test IMO.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Skids wrote:The tax from this will be massive!

In 2017, Colorado, a state with just over 5 million people, collected $247,368,473.00 !!!

That's the TAX component, not to mention the employment the industry would create.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/revenu ... a-tax-data

The crims of Australia are making Billions every year.
The Greens policy is flawed badly. It's populist, but has hanging threads everywhere.

You want to regulate, control and tax the sale, but you allow people to grow up to 6 plants at home for personal use? Doesn't work. Why the hell would you pay inflated prices when you can grow your own?

Tobacco is legal but the penalties for growing your own is worse than growing dope ( or making Ice for that matter) because it's a tax revenue thing.

2nd problem, and I've raised this before, the wowser brigade who hate smoking so much that they won't even allow e-cigarettes (cartomisers/vapourisersa) to be made legal will not allow this to happen. If "1 cigarette can do you harm" how the hell can they suddenly agree to legal dope? Just won't happen while these wowser freaks have so much say.

Remember the Alcopop tax? What happened was exactly what I predicted.
1. Young people started buying spirits and mixing their own which kills the control element
2. The government got more revenue and none of it went to health.

These clowns won't stop until we are in the world in demolition man, where everything that is harmful like salt, sugar, alcohol, tobacco etc is illegal and all that is left is the illicit drugs.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I don't grow my own potatoes but, if the government whacked them with tax that made them $30 a bag, I would.

Likewise if I could get Tobacco seeds i'd grow my own instead of paying $37 a packet. :twisted:

Sorry if the post came across contradictory, personally I'd be in favour of regulation, my point was supposed to be the wowser brigade won't let it happen .
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:I don't grow my own potatoes but, if the government whacked them with tax that made them $30 a bag, I would.

Likewise if I could get Tobacco seeds i'd grow my own instead of paying $37 a packet. :twisted:

Sorry if the post came across contradictory, personally I'd be in favour of regulation, my point was supposed to be the wowser brigade won't let it happen .
. Thought u quit? Is that the cost of e-cigs!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!