Pre-Match. Pies v. Tigers. All comments

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Pre-Match. Pies v. Tigers. All comments

Post by Magpietothemax »

I have just one theme in response to our selections?
Why did we drop Reef???
I just don't understand why we refuse to give him a real opportunity.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Donny
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Donny »

The team ?
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
Big T
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Big T »

I can imagine it is round 24 and we are 3 games out of the 8 and they still won’t give the kids a sustained run and bring back Mitchell. Who promptly does a hammy in the first quarter.

Baffling dropping McInnes when they haven’t played him in any consistent position or given him much game time, when it’s clear to everyone we are not making finals.

Reading Nobles article this week I could only laugh and then cry.
Buon Giorno
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Fwiw, here's my take on the team changes.

I suspect McInnes is viewed by our coaches as not being physical enough. Also, for the type of player he is, he is definitely a tad slow and not an elite kick. These are serious deficiencies, which he will need to overcome if he is to remain on our list.

I'm glad that Frampton is back. I've been clamouring for us to settle on a stable defensive 6 and stick with it. He must be one of those. In truth Richards has struggled to have much of an impact since returning from injury, but he has a lot of class and I'm confident he'll get more opportunities. Harrison has a bright future, so it's good to have him back.

Bytel has not impressed me so far, but has apparently been ripping it up in the VFL, so deserves another senior opportunity. I've not seen much of Parker, but he is obviously rated quite highly by our coaches. Whether these two players actually get a game, or end up as emergencies, we'll know soon enough.

Cameron, who has been run into the ground in recent weeks, will certainly benefit from the return of Cox.

As for Schultz, his tenacity and physicality was missed last week, so I'm pleased he's back in. Like most Nicksters, I've been somewhat disappointed by his performances so far, but I haven't given up on him, and I admire his endeavour. Hopefully, his best is still to come.

Overall, I'm pleased with the changes and expect us to bounce back strongly against the Tigers.

Pies by 36 pts.
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

Cox's return is a bonus despite the negativity. He has a crack. I don't want to hear spin, it's Richmond who are struggling. That means a 10 goal win, anything less isn't good enough
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Bit shocked at dropping Reef and JoeRichards.

Bring it on. Please have a confidence building game. At least for the supporters!

Not lovin this losing shit! Winning even with a heart attack was so much more fun!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Culprit wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:05 am Cox's return is a bonus despite the negativity. He has a crack. I don't want to hear spin, it's Richmond who are struggling. That means a 10 goal win, anything less isn't good enough
Nah if we win this it won’t be by 10 goals. Lucky if we win it by 5. We can’t fix everything that’s broken in a week and hope to be the team we were. But if we win, it’s a start to get better again and hopefully lift our effort and confidence.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Here’s the full team:

B: Brayden Maynard, Darcy Moore, Isaac Quaynor
HB: John Noble, Oleg Markov, Nick Daicos
C: Steele Sidebottom, Ned Long, Josh Daicos
HF: Bobby Hill, Lachie Schultz, Jamie Elliott
F: Mason Cox, Dan McStay, Jeremy Howe
R: Darcy Cameron, Scott Pendlebury, Jack Crisp
Int (from): Patrick Lipinski, Jordan De Goey, Billy Frampton, Jack Bytel, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Lachie Sullivan, Harvey Harrison, Wil Parker

I assume Sullivan will join Bytel and Parker as emergencies.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies2016
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

What I will say, is that if Frampton returns to the seniors, he can consider himself very lucky. He was underwhelming at best in the VFL last week and almost looked disinterested at times. There’s no doubt there is an opportunity for both Dean and Eyre to post a P B pre season and have one of them own that key defensive post next year. Given his setbacks, Eyre seems to be progressing ok but the sample size is still small at this stage. Dean has improved, albeit off a low base but there’s no reason to think he wouldn’t be better again next year. One of these two needs to train the house down during the pre season because Framptons recent form line seems to be trending in the same direction as his previous two clubs.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Surely, they rest JDG before the match against the arch enemy next week, he's clearly labouring. I'd also spell WHE with a view to keeping him fresh for next week and bring in Parker.
Both Parker and Bytel have earned a call-up. Bytel could rotate with Ned Long.
While neither Long nor Bytel possess JDG's explosiveness, they're effective big bodies to fill any void JDG leaves.

Prefer a bench + sub from Lipinski, Bytel, Harrison, Parker and Sullivan.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^^^ all the Reef posts

Given his in and out run and first to drop when he even looks sideways (gee I wonder how any of the forwards will perform when you continually fail to deliver the ball forward for half the game time). Reef did kick the first goal last week from a tougher shot than the other misses around him. Reef was drafted from the NGA so maybe needs more development than others. Reef is a skinny medium size. He's a utility, not a KPF so the constant KPF role just doesn't suit his physique.

I think this is where the fixed roles / structures next soldier up strategy struggles and why contending teams opt for experienced bodies over juniors who require development, particularly outside of the KP roles. The fixed structure based team doesn't have time to draft and develop young players consistently and requires young players to perform at a higher level quickly otherwise they get spat out. Hence the merry go round omissions for Reef, Macrae and other similar types who don't fit the mould the coaches specify in their role set.

I just think the omissions are crap from Fly and co because Reef wasn't the reason we lost the game last week. Fly and Co and the Senior players should be severely embarrassed for the last month of footy because that is where the problem lies.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I would have liked to seen Dean come in and Parker in place of Noble
Frampton inclusion is a surprise given tigers lack of height up forward
Doesn’t mean he plays I guess
I would have rested Sidey and JDG this week so there at there best to for next week
I don’t get the Richard’s omission he was far from the worst lack week. Maybe they want to give him a freshen up in the VFL his body might need a rest
Schooner19

Post by Schooner19 »

Hi everyone, first of all i would just like to say that even though i have just (re)joined i have been here for years lurking and i am a true Collingwood fan.

I too am frustrated at how we have dropped off our pressure game, and i think i can see a main reason why. It makes me wonder why the coaches cannot see it.
QldMagpie touched on it above.
I see it every week, The opposition gets the ball, one of our younger players goes at him and puts the pressure on. The opposition quickly gets rid of the ball.... the next contest is similar but more intense.... the opposition gets the ball out to another team mate who is immediately under pressure.... he rushes a disposal to another team mate who is set upon again with intense pressure, this player then gets the ball to another player who is 20 meters clear from his opponent... his opponent, one of our senior players, dual premiership player... is jogging along half pace on his own, not putting any pressure on anyone.... no accountability it seems.... the opposition then have time and space to compose themselves and set up a forward entry....
Our player that breaks this chain and any chance of a turn over is - any guesses?
Has anyone else witnessed this? It happens numerous times a game, usually costing us dearly.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Dont like Richards being dropped, I like the kid. Parker in, well we sure have played enough kids this season,so we cannot whinge we dont play the kids , thats out the window. Glad Cox is back, give Darcy a spell now.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Darcy Cameron id the big winner from these selections.
I would play Cox on the ball from the 15 minute mark until the 25 minute mark every quarter.
Give Cameron 40 minutes on the pine- his workload has been enormous this year.

I think that De Goey either doesn't play or is left one-out inside 50 a la Gary Ablett Sr. No backman will be able to stop him.

Play Parker on the wing and have Sidey as sub- he need sa spell for next week.

If possible, give Long an extended run in the centre and play Pendles off half back.

One would imagine that the next five weeks might be best employed giving some old-hands a new role and playing some kids.

Each of our remaining matches will be tough and we need to see who has the bottle to stay on the list for 2025.

No point rushing back any of: Steene, Mihocek, Mitchell, Begg, and if any other player needs an op. or a tidy up, now is the optimum time to do it... This year, sadly, is cooked.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...