Ex-Collingwood players still doing the playing rounds

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Ex-Collingwood players still doing the playing rounds

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Big T
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Big T »

How's Cal Brown going at Box Hill?
Buon Giorno
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

Good to get this update. I can’t be bothered watching other games to find out.

List management seems sound enough overall, esp when Treloar and Grundy’s impact is discounted for cost. Henry was the loss.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I still haven’t forgiven Guy for getting rid of Treloar. A player who really wanted to stay and play for Collingwood should have been kept on the list ahead of someone else. This is a very devising issue and I get it that a few Nicksters would strongly disagree with me and that’s cool
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
David

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Ex-Collingwood players 2023

Post by piedys »

M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
David

Post by David »

Not a bad thought, to be honest. Only trouble is that players can't currently be delisted mid-season, right? So I assume he's stuck with the Giants until the end of the year.

We could pick up Madgen if we wanted (as he's currently playing for Adelaide's SANFL side). But I'm guessing the club would be wanting to think more long-term, as they have in previous mid-season drafts with Noble, Johnson, Begg and Carmichael.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Tom Phillips on the Bombers VFL list...what did we have him on, 400k by some reports...madness
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

I didn’t realise we had so many players playing for other clubs.Although to be fair,many of them have long been forgotten.
Pies2016
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

It’s a good thread and your assessments are pretty spot on, David.
And just to clarify, not only can you not cherry pick from another AFL clubs list at the mid season rookie draft but as of right now, Collingwood don’t have a spare spot to add anyone on ( this could yet change if there’s a season ending injury, other than Charlie Dean )
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Many thanks for this David.
piedys

Post by piedys »

David wrote:Not a bad thought, to be honest. Only trouble is that players can't currently be delisted mid-season, right? So I assume he's stuck with the Giants until the end of the year.
That sounds correct; we'd have to offer them something/a selection of some sort, presumably for the upcoming draft. His delisting was a Buckley stuff-up.
David wrote:We could pick up Madgen if we wanted (as he's currently playing for Adelaide's SANFL side). But I'm guessing the club would be wanting to think more long-term, as they have in previous mid-season drafts with Noble, Johnson, Begg and Carmichael.
Obviously doubtful it will happen, but hypothetically speaking...
Just to clarify - he can't be "re-rookied" can he?
He would have to occupy a spot on the main list?
David

Post by David »

Oh, that one's way above my pay grade! It is a rookie draft, so I assume all players selected have to immediately be rookie listed, but no idea whether Madgen's previous rookie listing(s) preclude him from being selected.

If I'm reading correctly, he would otherwise be eligible (as he did nominate for last year's national draft):

https://www.zerohanger.com/afl-confirms ... ty-135740/
The league has confirmed eligibility for players wishing to nominate for the MSD, with two key pieces of criteria laid out:

1. Player must have nominated for the most recent National Draft.
• A player who nominated for the most recent National Draft but was not selected during the draft, and who committed for a further year as a 19-year-old Northern or NGA Academy Player is available to all clubs should they nominate for the MSRD.
2. Player who has previously been on the list of an AFL club (and are therefore not required to have nominated for the most recent National Draft). This refers to the following situations:
• Delisted player. A player delisted by a club cannot be reselected in the MSRD by the same club in the period immediately following their delisting unless they nominated for the most recent draft.
• A retired player and/or a player who has delisted himself and has not been on an AFL list for one year or more.
piedys

Post by piedys »

David wrote:Oh, that one's way above my pay grade! It is a rookie draft, so I assume all players selected have to immediately be rookie listed, but no idea whether Madgen's previous rookie listing(s) preclude him from being selected.

If I'm reading correctly, he would otherwise be eligible (as he did nominate for last year's national draft)
Thanks for that clarification bloke; starting to make sense to me now.
Pies2016
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Although It’s called the MSRD draft ( “ R “ stands for rookie ) if any club has a spot spare on its primary list, then any current player from their rookie list can be elevated onto that primary list and the new player chosen in the MSRD then fills the spot left by elevated rookie. The issue Collingwood have is that we currently have no spare spots available on either list because we have already replaced Deans long term injury with either Markov or Steene ( whoever was last picked )

Was looking at some VFL stats the other day and Callum Brown is averaging 34 touches a game for Box Hill this year. Doesn’t mean he’s an AFL player but he’s certainly dominating at VFL level ( sound familiar )

As for the MSRD, I reckon Sam Naismith ( former Swans ruckman ) at Port Melbourne will be one of the first selected this year, assuming he nominates of course.