Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ticketing on Saturday - What was going on?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:21 pm
Post subject: Ticketing on Saturday - What was going on?Reply with quote

So on Saturday I arrived at Gate 1 about 5 minutes before the start of the game. I had my 4yo and 6yo kids with me. As we're walking up to the ticket window I'm hearing over the PA "if you have just purchased a general admission ticket you will need to go around to Gate 3, 4 or 5. The general admission area is now FULL".

So at this point I'm thinking "wow, I've underestimated this crowd by 30,000". Then we take up our place in the very back row of the Southern Stand.... and my brother-in-law points at the Ponsford. I'm not kidding, the top deck was barely 1/3 full.

Does anyone know, do our reserved seat ticket holders now extend to level 4 of the Ponsford? It was ridiculous. And the same could be said of level 1 in the Southern. There were massive holes in the crowd everywhere.

57,000 at Easter is not a bad crowd but I just don't get it. There is something seriously wrong with the ticketing algorithms or strategies at the MCG.

Can anyone offer any insight into wtf was/is going on?

mattys123 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

For Pies home games all but about the back 10 rows of the Ponsford are set aside as a reserved area, so that's why you were turned away from gate 1, because the GA area in the Ponsford actually was full.

It's the same in many of our other home reserved seat areas around the ground, they are not fully taken up for most games, it's a strange system but it's the system that has existed for a while now.
melliot 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:57 pm

I was in Q24 AFL members. I noticed for the people who actually rocked up, they had the privilege of sitting in the last 10 rows of the Ponny while the best/better seats are vacant.

It's a bad look. And doesn't encourage people to "just rock up on the day". I'd nearly prefer to watch on telly than sit way up there. They need a better system to allow unused booked seats to be utilized on the day.
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:16 pm

Thanks MattyD, at least I know now. That's a big shift from last year.
Guess I'll kiss goodbye to "our" stand unless I win Tatts!

Melliot.... you're spot on.... it's a shocking look. I really think they need this "sell back" or "buy back" ... basically the ability to re-sell your seat if you can't make a game - urgently.

The atmosphere was pretty good to be honest but surely it would be better seeing the last 10 rows empty and the front section chockers??

MattyD 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:51 pm

GoWoodsmen wrote:
Thanks MattyD, at least I know now. That's a big shift from last year.
Guess I'll kiss goodbye to "our" stand unless I win Tatts!

Melliot.... you're spot on.... it's a shocking look. I really think they need this "sell back" or "buy back" ... basically the ability to re-sell your seat if you can't make a game - urgently.

The atmosphere was pretty good to be honest but surely it would be better seeing the last 10 rows empty and the front section chockers??

Always happy to help. (But I think that was a different Matty.)

Very Happy

But yeah, obviously the club has more reserved seats in the ponny this year. Weird that they're always so vacant though.

I'm pretty sure they're holding on to some seats for potential new members though and there'll always be some members who can't get to every game.

It's a weird system that has developed. It's in the hands of people who want to make as much money as possible.

It seems so long ago that I used to queue up outside Victoria Park in the early hours of the morning so my little brother and I could get a seat along the fence for free.....

Last edited by MattyD on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:51 pm

With all respect to the creator of this wonderful topic and those who have responded why has it not been moved ???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: