Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Goals, behinds and rushed behinds

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote this in another thread:
The problem with Blair, as well as Ball, is that they have a short set shot at goal. Ball no worries - he bobs up in the forward pocket and saves the day on many occasions. but Blair - it was noticeable towards the end of that third quarter that he was having a couple of shots at goal from too far out.

Similarly Cloke - he took a mark against the behind post and tried to convert it, instead of passing it off. so four shots at goal late in the third quarter with the game already done, which all went in for behinds...

This gave the Showponies the confidence to dominate the last quarter, whereas four goals would have buried them.

Collingwood has to become more strategic in its goal kicking, like Luke Ball. He doesn't seem to have a shot when he is too far out. Given that we have several goalkickers with flaws, then it would be better if they pass off rather than have a shot when someone is in a better position.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:03 pm

Yeah agree with Blair the shot in the 3rd quarter when he had a crack from about 53m was nonsense. He was probably the only bloke in the whole stadium that thought he could make the distance and in the end falls 5m short and its an easy punch through. He is better off kicking to the hot spot 20m out and let the Carlton defence panic itself into conceding a goal.

However we do miss some easy shots. 3rd qtr alone against the scum Sidey running in from about 35m and both Blair and Cloke set shots when they hit the post. Pendles has also missed some easy shots of late.

If I had a choice I would try and hit up Elliot so he can take a lot of our set shots.

E 

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:11 pm

David wrote:
You guys are taking a leaf out of KB's book and looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I'm fine with rushed behinds counting for one point. That's how it's been for 117 years and the game hasn't yet collapsed in a screaming heap. I opposed the deliberate rushed behind rule when it came in, but am happy with how it's been handled: that is to say, it's never paid, but its presence creates a subtle deterrent (along with the fact of conceding a point to the opposition). What's the problem, exactly?

I'm 100% with Inkling on the ball crossing the goal line by anything but foot. Stui and Jack's suggestion is a one-way ticket to Rugby League. As always, be careful what you wish for!

I agree. I actually think they brought in the rule to stop a team from using the rushed behind as a time wasting thing. that is, if you use the rushed behind to try to run the clock down (as Joel Bowden tried to do), then they will pay a free to stop that.

And that is the only reason we need any deterrent. conceding a behind to relieve pressure (and not waste time) seems fine to me. however, if I am 18 points up with 3 minutes to go and I proceed to waste that entire time by rushing behinds, that would be a Malcolm on the game.

roar 

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:17 pm

slydog81 wrote:
Poor accuracy nearly cost us a grand final in 2010.

It needs to improve.

Absolutely!

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:21 pm

roar wrote:
slydog81 wrote:
Poor accuracy nearly cost us a grand final in 2010.

It needs to improve.

Absolutely!

TBH, I think Collingwood still need to improve on EVERY aspect of football and consistency of operating at a very high level for the entire game to be considered genuine, fair dinkum flag contenders. Kicking for goal is just one, albeit important, part of the improvement required.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:33 pm

Tannin wrote:

So, first, axe the stupid new rule. Second, replace it with a simpler, fairer, more logical rule - one which achieves a good, clean, fair game, and yet stays true to the spirit of the original rules back before coaches learned to game the system. A rule which depends on facts, not opinions about players' intentions.

A goal is scored when the ball goes through from the attacking player's boot - exactly as it is now.

If the attacking team was last to touch the ball but not with the boot (i.e., a touched ball), a behind is scored - exactly as now.

If the defending team was last to touch the ball (with hand, foot, or anything else), then the score is two points.

Intention does not matter. Value judgements do not enter into it. Who touched the ball last? That is the only question and although umpires can make mistakes, this way they are only being asked to judge a fact, not make up an opinion.

As for gaming the system, at 2 points a shot, you wouldn't want to do it too often! If you are desperate to save a certain goal, OK, you wear the two points. One point is nothing, two points hurts a bit. You try not to give them away.

I'm withya as long as we also bring in the 9 pointer for goals outside 50. These have always had a higher value given the wow factor. It's about time it was formalised.

The added benefit to this would be an increase in our kids mathematical knowledge. We've always led the world in 6 times tables now we can take the gold in 9 and 2 (actually let's make it 4 points for a rushed behind, 2 is too easy). If we didn't have to cater to Carlton and St Kilda supporters we could throw in some real mathematics, maybe a couple of quadratic equations and a Fourier transform.

But at least, when we beat Carlton 6.10.4.15 (149) - 0.0.0.1 (1) we'll know we're playing good old Aussie Rules just as it was always intended to be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: