Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Indigenous round Jumper

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy with this design?
Yes
41%
 41%  [ 23 ]
No
12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
Don't see the need
45%
 45%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 55

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The AFL are showing support and respect by using a theme and a round focus etc... I don't see people complaining about ANZAC day!

I think it is fantastic to show our respect and support for Indigenous Aussies, many of whom have had personal tales with re to stolen generation or can recall when they were not included as Australians and deliberately segregated with their culture and values trashed. As highlighted by some posters, Indigenous Australians have some clear physical and mental health problems and a much shorter life expectancy compared to Non-Indigenous Aussies.

No need for guilt trips or resentment lets instead give em our support and respect as footy fans and as fellow Aussies!

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:53 am

September Zeros wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
think positive wrote:
Skids wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
The jumper's good enough.

And as for Indigenous round? We clearly need it. Just looking at a number of posts on this board, reconciliation needs to be kept front of mind, otherwise the mainstream are just going to decide it's "dealt with" and we can now just pretend that everyone's on the same footing. They're not, and this is why an active effort is needed.

Oh please .... do we hold a grudge against the Japanese for what happened only 70 years ago, or the germans. I mean, what about the nasty Roman empire who ran rampant, do we want an apology from the Italians too?

This

Funny we get slammed and you say "this is why we need it because of racism," yet we are all saying we see us all the same, why point out differences? So who's the $£$%^%%$ racist!

"It" did not happen over 200 years ago. Unlike the other instances mentioned, this is not a singular event, it's ongoing. And, if you haven't noticed there still is very much feeling over the Japanese invasion (ask China) and the Holocaust.

Why do we still need reconciliation when we say "we're all the same"? Because we are not. There is still significant Aboriginal disadvantage and there is still far too much acceptance of racism. This is why an active effort is needed. We can't just decide "it's done" and forget about it, we need to keep it front of mind for the whole community not just those affected.

Any wonder its ongoing when people won't let it go ^ and any wonder we still need reconciliation when we make claims we are not all the same ^. Could it be argued that that is passive racism right there? How far do you take it?

As long as a continual excuse is provided and justified on the basis of history our brothers and sisters of aboriginal and Torres straight islander heritage will remain at a disadvantage.

We're killing off progress with kindness, PC, and overcompensation.

We're fostering and selling an environment of guilt to non indigenous Australians and consequently creating resentment in a large percentage of them as a result. (Ie the notion of why should one be made to feel bad when they didn't do anything themselves) and in the aboriginal we are fostering an environment of acceptance toward thier predicament. ( ie it's ok to continuously accept and expect government assistance because many years ago thier forefathers and mothers were treated abhorrently and it is thus an ongoing right and entitlement.)

Many many many different cultures have been persecuted on this planet over time. One of the initial steps towards recovery for any of them is actually wanting to help yourself first. You will otherwise forever wallow in the past and fail to be helped by others.

I therefore don't think indigenous round helps the plight of the aboriginal whatsoever. We don't have an Irish round, we don't have an Italian round, and we don't have an English round. So why do they have indigenous round?........because it's a politically and guilt driven pity round that only serves to divide further and fuel resentment to the sentiment. It doesn't work IMO.

That said I'm perfectly happy with design of the jumper just not its basis.

I see it pretty much the same way. I lost family members to the Japanese in WW11. I do not want to see the younger generation of Japan burdened with emotional, financial responsibility or guilt for what transpired. I want us all to have a good knowledge of history so that we can all learn from it and ensure that we do not repeat the mistakes of the past.

To find a future in a modern world some need to move on. History and the world that use to exist, exists no longer. Make the most of now and the future.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:10 pm

yin-YANG wrote:
The AFL are showing support and respect by using a theme and a round focus etc... I don't see people complaining about ANZAC day!

I think it is fantastic to show our respect and support for Indigenous Aussies, many of whom have had personal tales with re to stolen generation or can recall when they were not included as Australians and deliberately segregated with their culture and values trashed. As highlighted by some posters, Indigenous Australians have some clear physical and mental health problems and a much shorter life expectancy compared to Non-Indigenous Aussies.

No need for guilt trips or resentment lets instead give em our support and respect as footy fans and as fellow Aussies!

I agree. It's not about wallowing, but celebrating, lifting up and moving forward together.

September Zeros wrote:

Any wonder its ongoing when people won't let it go ^ and any wonder we still need reconciliation when we make claims we are not all the same ^. Could it be argued that that is passive racism right there? How far do you take it?

I think you misunderstood my point. There are real differences in terms of Aboriginal welfare in Australia compared to mainstream (or pretty much any other) Australia. To ignore this and say "we are all the same, nothing needs to be done, they just need to get over it" is completely missing the point. Anthropologically there may be no such thing as "race", but that is not the lived experience and pretending that it is does not help.

These issues exist now. They are not historical events like WW2 or the Holocaust. It is why reconciliation is still needed and why events like Indigenous round are worth doing, even if the effect is small. And reconciliation is not about blame, wallowing in pity, etc. As I said above it's about celebrating Aboriginal culture and welcoming it into the mainstream. It's a two way process and that's why keeping it front of mind for mainstream Australia is also important.

Disadvantage will not be addressed until mainstream Australia accepts Aboriginal Australia and vice versa. Then we'll all be one. This will not be achieved by pretending it's already done. It's clearly not.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:03 pm

Well said, Inkling. I'm quoting this again because it's worth reading twice:

AN_Inkling wrote:
It is why reconciliation is still needed and why events like Indigenous round are worth doing, even if the effect is small. And reconciliation is not about blame, wallowing in pity, etc. As I said above it's about celebrating Aboriginal culture and welcoming it into the mainstream. It's a two way process and that's why keeping it front of mind for mainstream Australia is also important.

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:37 pm

David wrote:
Well said, Inkling. I'm quoting this again because it's worth reading twice:

AN_Inkling wrote:
It is why reconciliation is still needed and why events like Indigenous round are worth doing, even if the effect is small. And reconciliation is not about blame, wallowing in pity, etc. As I said above it's about celebrating Aboriginal culture and welcoming it into the mainstream. It's a two way process and that's why keeping it front of mind for mainstream Australia is also important.

Which is really quite a fair enough point. But there is a balance to the argument.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm

The jumper is shit and so is the concept. It changes nothing and is purely for marketing. Of course we need to work on reconciliation in society and improving the lives of all including indigenous people and there are unique issues facing outback communities.

But as TP said. It's footy. Nothing else.

Too many special rounds. I have a superfluous testical, can we have a 3rd nut round. I am discriminated against whenever I do a nudie run.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: