Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Marley's move?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
doubla
Oops. Too much data.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:46 pm

No rush, agree that he seems suited to it. A fit and in form Sinclair might speed up the transition. Love to see him given a tagging job on Ablett.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:25 am

I like Marley and think he is a great small defender however he is one sided and until he can improve that he will get caught in the middle.
Having said that I have no problems with him spending some time in some matches in the middle to provide a different line up.

A replacement for Macaffer as a tagger (injured not sacked)

MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:12 am

I believe he has form as a mid in his junior footy.
He is on record as saying he wanted to push into the middle and Id have no doubt he would be capable. Would play a bit like Licca.

However, he is a genuine weapon of half back.
Locks down and beats the small forwards.
Runs and carry's
Tough, great avoidance and penetrating kick.
Those blokes don't come around too often. Hard to move him IMO.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:58 am

jackcass wrote:
No rush, agree that he seems suited to it. A fit and in form Sinclair might speed up the transition. Love to see him given a tagging job on Ablett.

Exactly!!

I don't get this huge rush with players like Marley, Shazza, Freeman and even Martin. Rolling Eyes Just let them get fit (in the case of the injured two), play and work things out when the need arises. No need for a mad rush.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:39 am

neil wrote:
I like Marley and think he is a great small defender however he is one sided and until he can improve that he will get caught in the middle.
Having said that I have no problems with him spending some time in some matches in the middle to provide a different line up.

I respect your opinion Neil, but sometimes I think people overstate the importance of being two-sided. After all, Bobby Skilton won 3 Brownlows as a rover, despite being completely one-sided.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:51 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
neil wrote:

I respect your opinion Neil, but sometimes I think people overstate the importance of being two-sided. After all, Bobby Skilton won 3 Brownlows as a rover, despite being completely one-sided.

Sorry what? Bobby was one of the first to be elite with both feet. Shocked
His father drummed into him the importance of using both feet at a young age. Watch his Open Mike interview.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:29 pm

You've got to give RB credit for effort.

I remember the Chimp playing - and its fair to say that none of us back then could decide whether he was right- or left-footed. He kicked a bit further with his right but he was more accurate with his left.

Marley resembles Skilton the way Jason Wild resembled Peter Daicos.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:38 pm

woftam wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
neil wrote:

His father drummed into him the importance of using both feet at a young age. Watch his Open Mike interview.

I only vaguely remember Skilton playing, so I may be wrong. However, I recall about 20 yrs ago a media conversation about the importance of being able to kick with both feet and one of the commentators made mention of the fact that being one-sided had not prevented Bobby Skilton winning 3 Brownlow medals. It's something i've never forgotten, but maybe it was simply wrong.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:51 pm

Yes, it was.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:57 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I remember the Chimp playing - and its fair to say that none of us back then could decide whether he was right- or left-footed. He kicked a bit further with his right but he was more accurate with his left.

Same as me! Well, almost - I kick it an even shorter distance on my left, and am even more inaccurate on my right. Sad

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:48 am

RudeBoy wrote:
woftam wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
neil wrote:

I only vaguely remember Skilton playing, so I may be wrong. However, I recall about 20 yrs ago a media conversation about the importance of being able to kick with both feet and one of the commentators made mention of the fact that being one-sided had not prevented Bobby Skilton winning 3 Brownlow medals. It's something i've never forgotten, but maybe it was simply wrong.

You need to be at least semi competent on your opposite foot now days IMO.

Hardest part is hand position (drop) and balance, I only ever used it when I had to and it was always across the body, I looked like a tard trying to kick a drop punt.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: