Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

MM catching Jock McHale is like Plugger passing Coventry...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc63 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:30 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Presti35 wrote:
The other thing of course, is what would we be feeling if he was still coaching Collingwood?

Good point. Or, at least, if we had won in 2011.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:45 pm

Try doing it at one club.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:09 pm

Well the other thing of course, is how will we feel about this in the years to come?

He has coached Collingwood more than both Footscray and West Coast, and he wont coach Carlton for ten years.

He couldn't get it done at the Dogs. The closest was the 1985 prelim.

He won 2 from 3 at WCE.

He won 1 from 4 at Collingwood.

And I don't think he'll be winning any at Carlton any time soon.

He is not a Footscray legend. He will not be a Carlton legend. It's just a damn shame he didn't get the wins in one of '02/'03 or '11.

Once his time is up at Carlton (Broken record or not), he will enter the HOF/Legend status and not long after that he'll be back at Collingwood receiving his life membership.

derkd 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:05 pm

Records were made to be broken, so good on Mick.....i hold no resentment against the man. To be honest Mick is (despite some of the opinions on here) still one of the greatest all time coaches. Some forget that Mick pulled us out of the Tony Shaw era depths of disrepair. Without Mick we may have been where Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs are today.

Does it really matter Collie who the longest coach of all time was? ....we can look back at our history with pride.....the danger is those who want to live in our clubs past....Jock yes great coach.....apparently (i was not alive to see it) ....but that was 80+ years ago. I am by far in a way more concerned with the modern day Pies. Wink Despite what my avatar might say Laughing
Flashman 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:20 pm

You can appreciate the clubs past without living in it, just us our past history should be acknowledged instead of paying lip service to it.

McHale is the greatest figure in our clubs history and was one of the architects of our culture and greatness. He lived and breathed Collingwood.

Malthouse never embraced that culture and was the epitome of the cold eyed modern professional. He did a good job but so he should of being the highest paid coach with the best resourced football/recruiting department at his disposal.

And crediting Mick solely with pulling the club out of the mire is totally incorrect. Many people played roles in that (yes Malthouse was one of them as was Nathan Buckley) and the one who deserves the most credit is Edward Joseph McGuire. He made this club relevant again.
derkd 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:26 pm

Flashman wrote:
You can appreciate the clubs past without living in it, just us our past history should be acknowledged instead of paying lip service to it.

McHale is the greatest figure in our clubs history and was one of the architects of our culture and greatness. He lived and breathed Collingwood.

Malthouse never embraced that culture and was the epitome of the cold eyed modern professional. He did a good job but so he should of being the highest paid coach with the best resourced football/recruiting department at his disposal.

And crediting Mick solely with pulling the club out of the mire is totally incorrect. Many people played roles in that (yes Malthouse was one of them as was Nathan Buckley) and the one who deserves the most credit is Edward Joseph McGuire. He made this club relevant again.

I agree, However, (and this might be the historian coming out in me) I don't think the Collingwood that Jock coached exists any more. Times really have changed. When he was coaching it was a suburban sport....in a sense you lived and breathed the suburb in which you lived. That does not exist in this day and age....Collingwood is a multi-million dollar business "brand" if you will. We are not longer a bunch of blokes who play at vic park and work at the local brewery....the only real connection Collingwood has to Collingwood the suburb is the name.

None the less, as you say fans can still appreciate the feats of those players and coaches. I agree on that much.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:32 pm

Joel wrote:
Try doing it at one club.

Bingo. Winner.

MM has been a very good coach over a long period of time, and to break Jocks games coached record is a big achievement.

However, that achievement will always be lessened by the fact that it took him stints at 4 different clubs to get there, while McHale did it at one, the same club that he played for.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:46 pm

I dunno. Starting over and building up a new club isn't exactly the easy way out.

For me, coaches that are able to go from one club to another and instill their brand on a new bunch of players get plenty of credit. Lyon and Malthouse of the current crop. Roos as well if you're into that sort of thing.

Doing a Sheedy and coasting along at one club with no success in your latter years, isn't anything special.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:52 am

NO congrats from me, I hope the hawks belt the scum by ten goals tonight. He is carlscum now, nothing more needs to be said.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: