Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Great myth.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:49 am
Post subject: The Great myth.Reply with quote

The left to right-right to left dribble along the ground, DAICOS LIKE!!!

Wrong, Daics never did the modern day dribble (Daics didn't need the ball to bounce), why do they always refer to the great man when someone does it?

I'd prefer to see Daics name mentioned when a player is under pressure on the boundary 50 mtrs out and has to use his opposite foot at full pace, that'll put some hair on ya ass, we very rarely see skill like that anymore though, shit, Bucks wasn't capable of what Daicos did on his left.

Also, I'd like to know why the modern day players don't use The Daicos drop punt, if you watch the footage you'll see Daics held the ball much higher than Bucks, not saying it's wrong but almost every AFL player in the comp holds a drop punt like bucks.

Daics drop punts always went right to left, you could bank on it, the modern day drop punt goes dead str8 and can even turn inside out, give me the devil you know.

Imagine if we could employ him as a skills coach lol.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Daicos, like Bradman in cricket, was a one off freak, I don't think we will see the likes of him again, just a wizard of impossible angle goals, time and time again, and not flukes either. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:02 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Daicos, like Bradman in cricket, was a one off freak, I don't think we will see the likes of him again, just a wizard of impossible angle goals, time and time again, and not flukes either. !

Fingers crossed he has passed on his wisdom to Daicos Jr(s).
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:04 pm

When was this exactly?
Funkadelic 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:20 pm

Haha getting technical there defender! Loved yr 2nd paragraph "that'll put hair on your ass!" Think it's just the go to quote whenever someone does something amazing, magical, other worldly, and any other superlative that would describe the great man that is Daicos!
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:35 pm

Ah, now you're talking. I miss Daics. He was the reason I went to the footy for many years. What a master. Very Happy
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:16 pm
Post subject: Re: The Great myth.Reply with quote

Defender wrote:
The left to right-right to left dribble along the ground, DAICOS LIKE!!!

Wrong, Daics never did the modern day dribble (Daics didn't need the ball to bounce), why do they always refer to the great man when someone does it?

I'd prefer to see Daics name mentioned when a player is under pressure on the boundary 50 mtrs out and has to use his opposite foot at full pace, that'll put some hair on ya ass, we very rarely see skill like that anymore though, shit, Bucks wasn't capable of what Daicos did on his left.

Also, I'd like to know why the modern day players don't use The Daicos drop punt, if you watch the footage you'll see Daics held the ball much higher than Bucks, not saying it's wrong but almost every AFL player in the comp holds a drop punt like bucks.

Daics drop punts always went right to left, you could bank on it, the modern day drop punt goes dead str8 and can even turn inside out, give me the devil you know.

Imagine if we could employ him as a skills coach lol.

Nice analysis Defender.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:20 pm

Daics did dribble goals in... as you said Defender he often didn't need to but he was the first guy to do it deliberately now and then and get goals more often than not so that is why the dribble goal is 'daicos like'.

As you said he also kicked goals on the run from the boundary and had a brilliant torpedo that was also very accurate! He was a freak and a kicking genius and deserves to be aligned with freakish goals that make the game exciting!

Not so much a myth more like a legend!!!

Flashman 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:00 pm

I remember Daics unloading a 65 metre torp in the wet at Waverly when we flogged Carlton in 1990. The crowd was calling for it and the master didn't disappoint putting it straight through.

He was some player.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:02 pm

Betts was Daicos like with his goal from the boundary tonight Very Happy. No dribble that's for sure.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:08 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
Betts was Daicos like with his goal from the boundary tonight Very Happy. No dribble that's for sure.

Said to the mrs afterwards,that was Leon like. Smile

Daics would drop punted it str8 through middle.

You like this.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:14 am

Daicos was my hero as a kid (late teen as well), he's the best player I've seen, I copied what ever he did, he actually came to my school and told me how to hold the ball, I was a hack footballer but I was always a decent kick, bare with with me.

Then Bucks came along, he had a very different hand position compared to Daics with drop punts, was like a heart shape around the laces, I tried to master the Bucks drop punt but never could, it was like I never had control of the ball on the drop, I put it down hand size, maybe Bucks has big hands I don't know, but I know I really struggled to control the drop with his grip.

My worry is all our players are being taught to kick like Bucks, and clearly a lot of our players foot skills have declined recently.

You like this.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:43 am

Piesnchess wrote:

Bucks would drop him for not applying forward pressure.

You like this.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:06 am

I remember at least 6 Diacos dribbling goals (mainly at Vic park in front of the members).
He only did it when he was running into an open goal which is why you don't see it in highlight footage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: