Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Its Collingwood's flag to lose" - I'm very wary!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boot 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the many famous quotes from Nth Melbourne legendary premiership coach was that "It doesn't mean squat how far up the ladder you finish when the teams run out on the last Saturday in September, then its only a matter of who is the best team that day"
I think we all realize that the standard and tempo of the AFL goes up each week of September which is a massive jump up from the home and away season games. Luckily Collingwood have the advantage of playing in front of large crowds in big games at the MCG quite a few times during the year to provide the experience to the players so hopefully they are getting used to being able to play at their best in big games.
I think its interesting to look at which players have excelled in big games. A couple of Collingwood players who spring to mind who have excelled in big games and have the character that rises to the challenge, including;
Pendlebury - Lets hope he can play to his stellar standard this September
Nick Daicos - Good signs with his performance in this years Anzac day game.
Ginnivan - Certainly enjoys the big stage events. Lets hope he can regain some form and break his way back into the team in September and rip the opposition apart in the Grand Final.

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:46 pm

think better wrote:
Leigh Matthews said it best when he said the premiers are those teams that play best in September.

All we are doing for now is qualifying high up (probably on top)

You only have to talk to a few Port Adelaide fans when they finished top for a few years in a row and bombed out in finals, before they eventually got the flag in 2004.

And Fly thinks the same way from his press conferences...I think we should all be very excited for the football treat we will receive in September rather than being nervous; have faith!

After all, like Brodie said, its not all about winning flags Wink

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:48 pm

Boot wrote:
One of the many famous quotes from Nth Melbourne legendary premiership coach was that "It doesn't mean squat how far up the ladder you finish when the teams run out on the last Saturday in September, then its only a matter of who is the best team that day"
I think we all realize that the standard and tempo of the AFL goes up each week of September which is a massive jump up from the home and away season games. Luckily Collingwood have the advantage of playing in front of large crowds in big games at the MCG quite a few times during the year to provide the experience to the players so hopefully they are getting used to being able to play at their best in big games.
I think its interesting to look at which players have excelled in big games. A couple of Collingwood players who spring to mind who have excelled in big games and have the character that rises to the challenge, including;
Ginnivan - Certainly enjoys the big stage events. Lets hope he can regain some form and break his way back into the team in September and rip the opposition apart in the Grand Final.

Methinks Ginni will be pushing sh*t uphill to break back into the team now, but time will tell

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
slangman 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:56 pm

warburton lad wrote:
Not our flag to lose.

It is our flag to win...

Beautifully said.

Let’s embrace what is coming and be positive.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:33 pm

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Boot wrote:

Methinks Ginni will be pushing sh*t uphill to break back into the team now, but time will tell
vv

Disagree I am a huge fan of Jack, on the big stage, in a GF, the stage he loves, he could make all the difference to us, hes capable of kicking four goals in a second half, with assistance from bobby, to bring home a Premiership. I cannot see us winning it without him, frankly.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:35 pm

I’m uncertain about Ginny being able to force his way into the team unless he makes it impossible not to pick him with a blinder or two in the seconds. I’m a huge Ginny fan but geez, this team is hard to get into if they keep on winning.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:45 pm

lazzadesilva wrote:
I’m uncertain about Ginny being able to force his way into the team unless he makes it impossible not to pick him with a blinder or two in the seconds. I’m a huge Ginny fan but geez, this team is hard to get into if they keep on winning.

True comrade, but we just dropped ash Johnson, for Port game. so go figure that one out. Surprised But, in Fly we trust hey. Shocked

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Boot 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:48 am

Ash Johnson is unlucky to lose his spot in the team to play Port Adelaide after kicking 3 goals in each of his last two games. Clearly Fly Macrae is keen to give the combination of Mihocek and McStay a go at the top level to see what that does to our scoring efficiency. This is the time to sort it out.
I'd like to see a fit and in-form Johnson in the Collingwood forward line in September as he adds a bit of X-Factor that can win a grand final. However, for some reason he did go missing in a couple of big finals last year and I guess there remains some questions on his reliability.
Interesting times to come, especially if McStay struggles to hit the scoreboard and / or contribute to a more efficient forward line.

blackandwhite4life Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:51 pm

Leigh Matthews said it best back in 1990. "Accept the challenge, without reservation or doubt, so that you can experience the exhilaration of victory."

As supporters, we need to embrace the positivity of Fly and this wonderful team and go along on the ride through September.

jonmac1954 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:21 pm

"Love not the faint hearted to risk rejection of their troth, living long in lonely splendour."
jonmac1954 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:22 pm

"Love not the faint hearted to risk rejection of their troth, living long in lonely splendour."
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:49 pm

Forget about the commentators. Follow the money. We are clear flag favourites with the bookies. That suits me fine, because it is recognition of us being the best team atm. Of course, form and injuries can alter that between now and September, but as of now I'm supremely confident this is our year. I've witnessed us lose 10 GFs in my lifetime, so I perfectly understand the emotions of those who are nervous at being flag favourites. For me, however, I go the other way. I reckon we will win the flag this year and win a few more over the next 5 yrs. Bring it on. Go Pies! Cool
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:31 pm

blackandwhite4life wrote:
Leigh Matthews said it best back in 1990. "Accept the challenge, without reservation or doubt, so that you can experience the exhilaration of victory."

He also said “If it bleeds, you can kill it”. I want us to kill Port.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:32 pm

DP
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:15 am

There's always trepidation of being favourites to win the premiership especially with our club's history. I can understand it, because I feel the same way.

However, you can't help but have faith that this team is good enough to go all the way if it plays their best football when it counts. Of course there's no guarantees, but I think the way the team has performed consistently well under Fly that you have to have faith they can deliver in the most high pressure moments.

Fly is all about everyone adopting "winning behaviours" when it comes to the mental side of the sport, which is something he's reinforced numerous times over the journey. Adopt and maintain these standards, and it can manifest itself into great outcomes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: