Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies bury Blues. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 10:11 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s difficult to know where to start about last nights win.
Firstly let me get this off chest
That umpiring in the 3rd term was nothing short of horrendous. I rarely comment on umpiring because it a intangible uncontrollable stat
But 9-1 count against us in the third term was truly mind blowing. McKay got away with on 4 occasions (twice in the third) basically putting Frampton in a headlock prior to the ball coming in then slinging him away so he’s disorientated.

Ok rant over

You could easily name 15 players last night who deserved a vote in the GB voting and not be wrong
Some of the possession stats that favoured them would indicate they should have won easy but really it was some of our own failures inside 50 and in front of goal was the only reason they where in the game late.
So how did we win ?
PIES4SHAW showed some truly great stats on the individual players so I’ll go a different tack

23 more inside 50’s
22 tackles (over 25% of our total) inside 50
Won the tackle count by 31 !
Our overall pressure rating for the game eclipsed theres by 27 points (196-169)
10 different goal kickers
These are all team stats and last night was a team win for the ages

I want to mention just a couple players who might not appear high on stats sheet or highlight reels but IMO where pivotal to our win last night

Frampton did a fantastic job on McKay. McKay got 2 goals from free kicks (neither against Frampton) but he best him 1 on 1 on 9 separate occasions.

Checkers took Weitering away from the contest leaving open space for others to work in. He often took him way outside 50 allowing for our smalls to really work over there opponents. Elliotts first 2 goals were mostly due to weitering being nowhere in sight.

Lipinski is having a career season. He is doing so much work on and off the ball it’s amazing. He’s working as hard forward and back as any player in black and white. He also played in Cripps when Pendles had a spell.

Harrison he’s got AFL footballer written all over him. Had equal 3rd most pressure acts by any of our players last night. Want an idea of how impactful he was watch the ball up inside 50 with a minute and change to go when Nick kicks the winning goal. The ball goes into dispute bounces and Pendles is blocked getting to Cripps. Harrison left his man jumped and hit the ball into the path of Nick who kicked the goal. Now he wouldn’t have known Nick was streaming through but he hit it into our pocket closer to the boundary (a smart play under the circumstances) and the rest is history.

Sullivan looked composed and settled from the moment he come in. He did loads of little things but most importantly he didn’t try to overplay his hand. He kept popping in support and dodging his job. Considering the situation he came into and the build up to the game he looked and played like a 50+ gamer.

Lastly Maynard, seriously he’s our heart beat. He typifies everything good about this team. He’s unselfish, he leaves nothing in the tank, he is hard at it at all times, he’s the first one to get around a team mate and finally he’s leadership is gaining more and more traction. Oh and when Cripps went forward Maynard went to him snd he also played on DeKooning deep at times

After the game ended I needed some quiet time. So went to my cellar grabbed a bottle of Henschke Hill of Grace 2006 walked out to the wife and said interested in a sip ? She said oh yes. So we hopped on a quad bike (me at the wheel her protecting the precious cargo) and headed down to the river bank. I let the fire pit and we sat in the quiet sipping the fine offerings from Henschke watching the stars.
I’m sure in those moments I saw god with a Collingwood beanie on singing Good ole Collingwood forever (I may have already had a couple too many chivas regal on ice to be sure)
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 11:00 am

RudeBoy wrote:
A win for the ages.
Seems we have found 2 good players in Harrison and Sullivan.
The Pies are back!

But R B, I keep reading we have nothing in the VFL 😂
Let’s not forgets Markov’s return either.
Sullivan lead the score involvements for both teams in only half a game of footy. This guy makes smart decisions with the footy and has quick hands. It’s a small sample size but I reckon we’ve just found another midfielder who can step up to fill any injury void.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 11:02 am

I watched the replay this morning and it was "a solid team effort" with some class thrown in. The tackling pressure was immense and Carlton has a problem in the forward 50, if they don't mark the ball and it hits the ground in most cases it's straight out. We should have won by a lot more but that's football.

Does anyone know who was on the otherside of the glass that Peter Daicos was banging on? I loved watching Colleen and Peter go off in the box after Nick's goal.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 11:07 am

Culprit wrote:
^

Peter had a few drinks by the looks of it! 😂
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 11:08 am

Big T wrote:
Jezza wrote:
All the different commentaries of Nick's goal, including one from Italian commentators at the end.

https://twitter.com/laceoutofficial/status/1786388900367434147?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1786388900367434147%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Superb thanks Jezza! Am living in Torino now so the Italian commentary can be my weekend language learning!

Haha, nice. I had a listen out of curiosity having never heard footy commentary in another language.

the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 11:16 am

What a win!
I'd like to single out Harvey Harrison.
Fantastic game. He was in everything.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 11:16 am

^^^
Qldmagpie,
I agree about Lipinski. I’m a bit bemused by the knocks on him. Of course he’s got faults but because he’s vanilla and doesn’t have much of a highlight reel, people don’t see the good this guy offers, particularly forward of centre. He’s another one who releases players and his kicking to set plays or space in the forward line is as good as anyone in the team. The club knows his value because he was sixth in the B and F in his first season and is now back playing similar footy in 2024. He’s also versatile and his extra time in the middle this week was important in a very narrow win.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 11:34 am

^ The versatility is the thing. I like his play but hadn't really thought of him as a contested ball player, yet he sacrificed his style for grit last night and it played a large part in the victory. He's not built to do that every week and can't be expected to - but playing that role in the absence of our two hardest mids did him proud.

Also, I think WHE needs a special mention. You see the guy and he looks so slight that you feel he might vanish from the screen if he turned side-on to the camera - but he is hard as nails: there were a couple of repeat phyiscal efforts one-on-one near the boundary at half-forward in the last quarter that brought Gavin Brown to mind.

Ultimately, our supporters need to get better at appreciating that there are reasons these guys won a flag (and in a couple of cases have won 2). It wasn't a fluke. Time and again, they adjust their game to the particular needs of the gameplan, as tweaked from week to week. Their application to the task and willingness to do what's asked of them is remarkable.
1eyedpie Virgo

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 11:39 am

Here's the Carlton radio channel. was very glum when Naicos kicks the winner. Flat as a sh!t carters hat in there 😆

https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSFKxL21e/

BARRACK HARD!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 11:46 am

^ Thanks so much for sharing. "This is going to be a really bitter pill to swallow. A really, really tough loss...."

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

It's almost sad the way some of these people back up, year after year, thinking that their side is finally good enough to go all the way. Many of them were insufferably smug in the lead up to the game - there is no such thing as a Carlton supporter being "quietly confident" of the 4 points. Every moment of Carlton depression in that video is matched by Dwayne Russell's expanding mirth!!!!
MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 12:03 pm

Maher: "It's all over."He kicks an unbelievable goal."
Christou: "Of all players."You're kidding me! Come on.
"Great reader of the ball, great reader of the game.
Maher: This is going to be a real bitter pill to swallow."A really, really tough loss.
"It's (the Collingwood chant) the worst sound in footy."

The scenes in the Blues Radio box after the siren were just as good.

Maher: "I feel sick."
Christou: "Did they deserve it though? Probably."
Koutoufides: "Do we have to listen to this (the Collingwood theme song)?"
Edmund: "Can we turn it down Andy?"
Maher: "Can we go home?"
Koutoufides: "Please."
shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 12:39 pm

1eyedpie wrote:
Here's the Carlton radio channel. was very glum when Naicos kicks the winner. Flat as a sh!t carters hat in there 😆
https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSFKxL21e/

Ha ha. That makes my day. Suck it ALL up Andy Maher. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Laughing Laughing Laughing
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:06 pm

Ang still pies fan deep down. I hope Maher cops it on the front bar. Owies does have a punch able head too Awesome win Pies we back
daics aka the ruckman 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:06 pm

The next day match highlights are just as exciting.
I think another thread mentioned that five players didn't lay a tackle and they were all in blue.
Our team is hard working and committed. The two new players fit right in to this.

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:31 pm

The Black and White Lion wrote:
love the Saturday after match glow watching Daicos goal again and again.

Check out the seconds before Nick kicked the ball. Fantastic, how he skirted the pack. Very Happy

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9   

Jump to: