Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What did you do after 1990?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched 1990 at home where my Bomber ex had decorated the house in red and black hahaha - how did that work out?

After the game went to Victoria Park then to Windy Hill, What a contrast - huge crowd round Victoria Park while over at Windy Hill the only sign of life was one little door with a light over it and the odd Bomber person going in an out every so often hahaha.

Then went home and eventually sent one Collingwood supporting mate from the local pub home after two days of drunken celebration on our couch hahaha (told him his missus was missing him Very Happy )

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 8:15 pm

Watched the game from the top deck of the Ponsford stand with my extended family - all 10 of us.

After the game we went home and had a party with friends and strangers - welcomed in by the banner ('Good Old Collingwood Forever') stretched across the roof of our families 3 adjacent houses. Later that night we all headed to Vic Park. The traffic and crowd in Johnston St was so enormous, that we simply left our car on the road and then headed on foot. The emotion and elation exhibited by the tens of thousands who had crammed into Vic Park and onto the hallowed turf was something I'll never forget. It was pure unadulterated joy. By this stage I was pretty pissed (despite being otherwise a non drinker). I had my trumpet with me and was playing 'Good Old Collingwood Forever' up in the Bobby Rose stand, before deciding to go one step further.

I made my way onto the ground, threw my strapped trumpet over my shoulder, and commenced an attempt to climb one of the goal posts. My idea was to play our theme song from atop the goal post. As I slowly inched my way up the post, the crowd began to clap and shout in unison, urging me on/up. Unfortunately, I only got about half to three-quarters the way up the post before the alcohol began to hit me and I slowly slid down the pole, much to the dismay of the assembled crowd below. When I hit the ground, I remember a St John's ambulance paramedic rushing over to check on my well-being. He asked me if I was OK, but in my drunken state, all I could reply with was a slurred rendition of 'Good Old Collingwood Forever'.

Put simply, it was the greatest night of my life. Cool
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 8:30 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Hey, reading this thread has got the passion going. I tell you what, next time we win a flag, I know where i'll be going. Vic Park. I don't give a damn if no one else is there, or if there' gates or fences or whatever. I'll be going there with some cans and I'm going to sit there on my own if no one else is there and smile like a demented &*( and get pissed.

GO PIES.

Nice bump, guess what I did in 2010? Watched the game at home then got a taxi to Vic park, then into the city to watch one of our own fronting his band. NFI what time Sunday I got home (or how I got home) just that I woke up around lunchtime with a smile on my face.

Croat Pie 

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 10:39 am

I was 16, sick as a dog on the couch with a really bad flu.

Needless to say when we won it, I jumped on my pushbike and went bananas down the avenues of North Altona, 3025.
DT 

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 3:39 pm

Sat in the Southern Stand and loved it. I knew we would win after Scott Russell kicked a goal in the Second Semi Final. I was in my last year of school and went home afterward very happy. It was an unbelievable day but not quite as exciting as the Second Semi - more a sense of relief.

2023 was pure joy at the way we won - I've seen three premierships live and watched 4 losses live.

Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 6:55 pm

Just some background for the youngsters, we had our Premiership losses, boy, did we Collingwood supporters cop it from opposition, not just on the day of those losses, but we lived a negative narrative in our daily lives.

The Colliwobbles was a major one, and there was nothing we could do. It was the 1990 Premiership which set us free. It meant more than footy.

I was 30, beautiful spot on the wing. That moment, for that instant, when every single supporter went quiet, and as one, the Collingwood crowd took a relieving breath.

A truly unique feeling in my footy experience, one which I will never forget.

Then we celebrated ... the rest is a blur.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 7:47 pm

^^^^

THIS!

“Blur” sums it up perfectly for me. Sang “We are the Champions” and “Simply the Best” hundreds of times. At one point the Social Club had to get beer reinforcements but there was plenty for all. Had fun watching the great fans climbing up the goal posts but I knew instinctively that this was not for me!😝 Hugs, kisses, high fives with hundreds of Collingwood fans. Then the best moment when the players came. I managed to somehow get to the front and accost a few players, the highlight was giving Pants a hug 🤗 The mystery was getting to my then girlfriend’s house in Ferntree Gully and not having a single clue about how I got there. I still don’t 😝

MickyD 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:56 am

I just thought I'd tell this story on the off chance that one or two of you might have been involved.

On grand final day 1990 we set our TV up on our front footpath outside our house at 7 Raphael St, Abbotsford next door to the Carringbush Hotel. We put our couch on the road and moved it back as the shadow of our house crept forward. You all know the result. For Collingwood supporters of the day, it was huge. It broke the drought. The Colliwobbles were buried. It was pure joy.

Post game we had our stereo speakers facing out our front windows with Good Old Collingwood Forever playing on repeat. After the post-game wrap up on 7, we rewound the VHS tape and started playing the game again.

A couple of blokes from the Carringbush had a look at our set-up & went back into the pub and within minutes 20 or 30 Carringbush patrons had gathered around our TV & started singing the song and cheering as if they were watching the game live for the first time.

At the same time the Magpie army was on the march along Punt Rd from the G to Vic Park. We took a quick look and it was amazing. I had a laugh at a few blokes carrying a couch along Punt Rd, then sitting down to have a beer before continuing on.

Needless to say that a chunk of these migrating Magpies went via the Carringbush which means most of them stopped outside our place to sing the song and watch a bit of the game.

By the time we got towards the end of each Good Old Collingwood Forever, people would start to drop out, then the cassette would take a couple of minutes to auto rewind and then when the song started again EVERYONE would join in at full voice. There were so many croaky voices 😄

Our house was full of people I didn't know and all with smiles on their faces. I'd always loved the Pies, but this took it to another level. I chatted to so many Pies supporters that night that I would never have got to meet if we didn't decide to watch the game in the sunshine. I remember one elderly lady saying that I'd put on a great night (the place was decked out in black & white) and I replied "well I wasn't really expecting hundreds of people" but I wouldn't have changed a thing.

I finally made the short walk to Vic Park wrapped in a doona with no voice left. I walked into the lit up ground just as a supporter fell from the goal post. It was like a Magpie fairyland lit up like daylight with thousands of people in black & white celebrating the end of the drought.

The next day I walked into the Carringbush with a row of beer glasses running up each arm. The barman Hans said, "I was wondering where all my glasses went". I told him that I'd be back in a minute with a couple more arm fulls.

Fast forward 25 years and I was at work and ABC radio was doing talk-back where the topic was "great unexpected parties that people had been to" & someone rang up and told the story of our grand final post events. He was saying how it was such special thing for him.
I was very proud.

Sorry if I went on a bit long. I don't get to tell the story very often.

Mick

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:56 pm

Speaking of the Carringbush, they'll be closing their doors today for the final time. Sad to see an institution close.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/carringbush-hotel-melbourne-pub-closing-after-135-years-due-to-expenses/5f021c22-b183-4be6-a4f1-e070ade9b1af

MickyD 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:19 am

Jezza wrote:
Speaking of the Carringbush, they'll be closing their doors today for the final time. Sad to see an institution close.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/carringbush-hotel-melbourne-pub-closing-after-135-years-due-to-expenses/5f021c22-b183-4be6-a4f1-e070ade9b1af

I heard about that. They'd have to charge $20 a beer to stay in business.
Very sad indeed.

Novelist Frank Hardy used Carringbush as the name for Collingwood in Power without glory.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: