Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood Father Son and NGA Radar

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 40, 41, 42  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

Doug didn't play 100 games for us, so any kids he had were up for grabs to anyone if good enough.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:03 am

Tom McGuane made his senior debut for Keilor on the weekend. Keep in mind he's still 16, doesn't turn 17 until August.

Playing against men for the first time, lazy 33 possessions, 10 clearances and 3 goals.

courtesy Herald Sun.

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:10 am

stui magpie wrote:
Tom McGuane made his senior debut for Keilor on the weekend. Keep in mind he's still 16, doesn't turn 17 until August.

Playing against men for the first time, lazy 33 possessions, 10 clearances and 3 goals.

courtesy Herald Sun.

Great numbers but you’d hardly deserve the title “man” if as an oppo player you really put in against a 16 year old.

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:01 pm

I remember watching John Longmire as a 15-16 year old playing for Corowa Rutherglen towelling up the oppo in the Ovens and Murray. Man child who went on to be but he had the physical attributes.

McGuane described as small so I’m guessing he’s agile / nimble to escape the hard tackles and runs like the wind.

Protect the draft points now and get him in

Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:28 pm

stui magpie wrote:

courtesy Herald Sun.

Keilor won by 147 Points so he had a little momentum on his side....

Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.40...Ash Johnson...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:02 pm

“Collingwood don’t get an unfair advantage”: Peter Daicos hopes AFL keeps father-son rule as is!...he said he’d love the AFL to keep the status quo when it comes to father-son recruitment.

It comes with the league in the midst of a competitive balance review that is expected to force clubs to stump up (i.e. pay) more for father-son and academy selections.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/06/20/collingwood-dont-get-an-unfair-advantage-peter-daicos-hopes-afl-keeps-father/

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:38 pm

^

How many father sons have we selected who amounted to nothing?

I can think of a few, The Brown Brothers, Obourne, Tony Shaw's son Brayden, then there's the ones we didn't pick up like Stewart and the Pickens.

Darcy Moore took a few years to come good, as did Josh Daicos. Making it harder to draft the child of a past player should not happen.

This whole review is a knee jerk reaction to Nick Daicos (and to a degree Ashcroft for the Brions) being an instant prodigy and Gold Coast getting 4 top 10 draftees from their academy last year.

Players like Nick don't come around very often, normally clubs find themselves under pressure to pick a father son in the draft to placate fan romanticism when the kid might not be in their top choices. Don't make it harder.

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:35 pm

Roughly 17 father sons have come to Collingwood. If you leave out Nick Davis who left after only a couple of seasons, then it's only Travis Cloke, Rhys + Heath, Moore and The Daicos Bros. So 6 / 17 worked out. So 35% success rate. Oh but they only want to focus on Josh (who was almost delisted) Darcy and Nick.

I'm not sure what St. Kilda expect here. If their stars aren't having as many boys then I dunno...how's that a problem anybody can legislate for??
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:41 pm

The problem is that with St Kilda, you can’t legislate for their fans to be intelligent so it’s been a long term trend 😹 They are dumb as Carlscum fans.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:10 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

It's not just you, I've only been to 1 game post Covid. I just cbf. The game day experience for me just doesn't justify the travel time and expense when I can stay home with the heater on, drink and eat what I want, yell at the TV with no one around to be offended and don't have to get a train home after.

The game day experience IMO is designed for theatre goers, not fans. I don't enjoy it, so I stay home.

Just like my father. He will not go to games.

I must admit, as the years have gone by, I've enjoyed it less and less. I would go to every game in Melbourne. Then it became just MCG games. Then certain teams and timeslots were cut out. Then the club contacted me about the amount of games I've missed. I still go. But sometimes you feel like its not an enjoyable day.

The General Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:17 pm

SwansWay wrote:
Roughly 17 father sons have come to Collingwood. If you leave out Nick Davis who left after only a couple of seasons, then it's only Travis Cloke, Rhys + Heath, Moore and The Daicos Bros. So 6 / 17 worked out. So 35% success rate. Oh but they only want to focus on Josh (who was almost delisted) Darcy and Nick.

I'm not sure what St. Kilda expect here. If their stars aren't having as many boys then I dunno...how's that a problem anybody can legislate for??

I think the club looking after the welfare of former players plays a part in the children then taking an interest in football. Then together with the club being involved with their development (The Peter Daicos academy) results in there being a higher number kids making it to draft eligibility.

If St Kilda choose to be a piss poor club and don't retain contact with former players thus not helping to develop the next generation, then I am afraid that that is on them.

We are simply benefiting from long term investing.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:06 pm

Both The Daicos brothers story at the draft is an interesting one and shouldn’t be lost when talking about the “ advantages “ we received with both.
Josh was selected in the 50s, so clearly no clubs thought he was ever going to equate to anything special. If the Saints ( who are whinging the loudest ) had rated him better and selected him a bit earlier, then who knows if Collingwood would have matched that draft pick position.
In Nicks year, when Kangas had pick 1, they chose to pick J H F when everyone knew Nick was the best junior in the country. Norths ego and need to peddle the positives to their supporter base, demanded that J H F be marketed as the best kid in the country, not a promising junior who would play second fiddle to Nick. If North had picked Daicos where he rightly belonged, then Collingwood would have been forced to give up higher draft picks in order to secure Nick. Sam Darcy went next because the Giants prioritised the best tall in the country but that bid was obviously matched by the Bulldogs at # 2. The rest is history.
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.40...Ash Johnson...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:37 am

Yes, this is what is being said on this thread...

Why is everyone complaining about the father-son rule now that Collingwood are benefitting from it?

"Oooh – Josh and Nick Daicos, as well as Darcy Moore."

https://www.theroar.com.au/2024/06/22/the-father-son-equation-has-been-around-for-decades-but-its-suddenly-become-a-problem-because-collingwood-is-benefiting/

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:00 am

My god, a balanced article about Collingwood. Shocked
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:57 pm

stui magpie wrote:
My god, a balanced article about Collingwood. Shocked

I'm shocked.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 41 of 42   

Jump to: