Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Seriously, Get Nick's Off This Crap Server

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Sorry I haven't replied to this earlier, but I'm on the road and have been out of mobile reception for two days.

To those who have donated in the past, thank you - money aside, it makes a huge difference knowing that the site is valued enough for people to want to contribute. There are also those who contribute more time and energy than can be valued in dollars - the moderators and the people who contribute time and skill to maintaining the web site. To those people, the ones who actually keep this show on the road, thank you.

I haven't acknowledged donations in the past because I didn't want to start an "I donated" hierarchical mentality, but it's probably time that those who donate are publicly acknowledged and I'll put something in place to do that from now on.

To those who want to know details of costs and/or time that is put into to keeping Nicks up, I'm not prepared to discuss that - it's not the point. The amount you contribute is irrelevant, it's the act of putting in that counts. If you can't bring yourself to donate a few dollars, just do as Neil says, buy yourself an email address (see http://email.magpies.net) for $20 / year and get a meaningful address that will never change as well as helping out.

You do have a right to whinge, but you don't have a right to expect anyone to listen to you unless you're a part of the solution.

I'd prefer anonymous donations, as I assume the mods would, but whatever the case we all need a regular kick up the bum, Mike, that's for sure. Perhaps we could do say a bi-monthly drive for donations as I've seen on sites such as www.antiwar.com. I'm happy to help with anything like that.

[Sorry, that's a repeated post from the other thread on the topic Smile]

Last edited by pietillidie on Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:22 pm

Have never made a donation but until now have never seen the issue raised either.

I'd be happy to make a donation of $20 a year as long as it means an eventual upgrade to the software/server once the needed funds have been received so we can access the site easily during high traffic times.

I suspect most other regular users would feel the same way.

Unlike pie doesn't worry me if the donations/purchases are made public.

Don't mind the idea if workable of setting up some sort of Nick's membership, the cost could be $20-30 a year and perhaps some badges could be produced with our online name and years of membership on it.

Would be fun to be at a game and see person x walk past, be able to put a face to a name and even have a chat.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:24 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Have never made a donation but until now have never seen the issue raised either.

I'd be happy to make a donation of $20 a year as long as it means an eventual upgrade to the software/server once the needed funds have been received so we can access the site easily during high traffic times.

Don't mind the idea if workable of setting up some sort of Nick's membership, the cost could be $20-30 a year and perhaps some badges could be produced with our online name and years of membership on it.

Would be fun to be at a game and see person x walk past, be able to put a face to a name and even have a chat.

Not a Bad Idea but the Problem would be that Some People will pick on the People who don't donate

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:27 pm

swoop42 wrote:

or a punch on Twisted Evil

colin_wood 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:34 pm

The server seems to located in the USA :

OrgName: Secured Private Network
OrgID: SPNW
Address: 1740 East Garry Ave.
Address: Suite 234
City: Santa Ana
StateProv: CA
PostalCode: 92705

ip address:

It should probably be re-located back to a good quality web host here in Australia since 99% of the traffic will be from here ?

If you need help moving the website & database send me a PM & I will do it free of charge.
Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:54 pm

colin_wood wrote:
The server seems to located in the USA :

OrgName: Secured Private Network
OrgID: SPNW
Address: 1740 East Garry Ave.
Address: Suite 234
City: Santa Ana
StateProv: CA
PostalCode: 92705

ip address:

It should probably be re-located back to a good quality web host here in Australia since 99% of the traffic will be from here ?

If you need help moving the website & database send me a PM & I will do it free of charge.

I think you will find that Mike upgraded to the server you refer to a couple of years ago due to the local one falling over at regular times.
I recall several days of postings were lost at one stage.
Sometimes "buy Australian" can be the wrong move.

P.S. Mike runs his own IT company, so I'm sure he knows about servers etc.
colin_wood 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:58 am

Sorry but hosting a server in the USA where 99% of your traffic is from Australia just does not make sense. The only reason I can think of is that they are on an extremely tight budget as USA hosting is a bit cheaper but really not that much.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:44 pm

member34259 wrote:
Monco Matt, do yourself a favor and disregard the rantings of MagpieMad.
I've had dealings with him in the past and can tell you categorically that it's "his way or the highway".
Unfortunately he is close to the site owner, so be careful of how much you push him.
As I stated previously, just let him rant. Don't feed him.

Please don't bring up that old chestnut. That's nearly as old as the site itself.
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:04 pm

I think the site is fine. It has high traffic after games but other than that it's fine. I wouldn't invest too heavily for 45 minutes of downtime. Lives won't be lost.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:19 pm

Joel wrote:
member34259 wrote:
Monco Matt, do yourself a favor and disregard the rantings of MagpieMad.
I've had dealings with him in the past and can tell you categorically that it's "his way or the highway".
Unfortunately he is close to the site owner, so be careful of how much you push him.
As I stated previously, just let him rant. Don't feed him.

Please don't bring up that old chestnut. That's nearly as old as the site itself.
He's only baiting for a bite, he's not worth the effort.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Feedback All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: