Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

War in Syria

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a UN mandate, the US and the UK have no right to go bomb another country in such circumstances.

No matter how just the cause, any action must be via the UN.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:19 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
Without a UN mandate, the US and the UK have no right to go bomb another country in such circumstances.

You are correct in this case. The US didn't receive approval from the UN to enter Iraq ten years ago so it hasn't stopped them from intervening if they believe the cause is worth it.

The US are in a sticky situation. Do they intervene or not, and no matter what they do there will be backlash from both sides. Some will whinge that the US didn't enter Syria and therefore allowed Al Assad to continue these killings against civilians, but if they do intervene, everyone will complain that America's involved in affairs that shouldn't have anything to do with them in the first place.

I know that the situation with Syria is quite complex, so here is a link that kind of answers the questions about the whole situation.

http://www.cfr.org/syria/syrias-crisis-global-response/p28402#p5

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:22 pm

what a mess. if the current regime gets bombed and tossed aside it wont solve anything. another mob will take over and cycle starts again. Like many of the arab shit hole countries, Syria's population is divided into many tribal and religious factions each with their own violent agendas.

Hooray for Islam - the most barbaric and backwards of all religions.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:48 pm

^

Generalisation - tick
Bigoted - tick
Over simplification - tick
Needs removal from discussion - tick.
Inflames - tick
Adds to the discussion - nyet.

Shame, it started off so well too.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:52 pm

What colour are your eyes?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:43 am

HAL wrote:

look into my eyes:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KYVb_OYz6g

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:07 am

If the US go in they are sticking their noses in someone else's business.

If they don't, there's no oil there!

They can't win.

Couldn't win Vietnam either, but they tried

I just don't understand how whoever ordered that hit can sleep at night, justify it, and still breath. True evil.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:12 am

Jezza wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:

You are correct in this case. The US didn't receive approval from the UN to enter Iraq ten years ago so it hasn't stopped them from intervening if they believe the cause is worth it.

The US are in a sticky situation. Do they intervene or not, and no matter what they do there will be backlash from both sides. Some will whinge that the US didn't enter Syria and therefore allowed Al Assad to continue these killings against civilians, but if they do intervene, everyone will complain that America's involved in affairs that shouldn't have anything to do with them in the first place.

I know that the situation with Syria is quite complex, so here is a link that kind of answers the questions about the whole situation.

Thanks for the link Jezza.

Interesting, and scary reading

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:45 am

Fire away. The military have so many new missiles that need testing and what a perfect place to test them on. Collateral damage is acceptable. They are killing each other so no great loss.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:20 am

Jezza wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:

I remember the first Iraq war with george Bush senior. I gave him full credit at that time as he had a mandate to kick Iraq out of Kuwait. He did this and stopped at the border and did not chase Iraq all the way to Baghdad. He was true to the UN mandate he received.

Going it alone and picking and choosing when to intervene when it suits you is too open to abuse. Either the UN gives a mandate and you follow that, or you do not become the gunslinger imposing your brand of justice.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:36 pm

To play devil's advocate, what if the best course of action is currently being blocked at a Security Council level by vested interests (i.e. Russia)?

I don't necessarily see the UN as some great arbiter of right or wrong here, though I suppose it's good to have some form of checks and balances. And I certainly don't think America and the UK can be trusted with the moral high ground here.

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:55 pm

Culprit wrote:
Fire away. The military have so many new missiles that need testing and what a perfect place to test them on. Collateral damage is acceptable. They are killing each other so no great loss.

Now just waiting for the WPT checklist.. Shocked
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:03 pm

I guess this qualifies as black comedy:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/so-whats-it-going-to-be,33662/?ref=auto

Quote:
Ive looked at your options, and Im going to be honest here, I feel for you. Not exactly an embarrassment of riches youve got to choose from, strategy-wise. I mean, my God, there are just so many variables to consider, so many possible paths to choose, each fraught with incredible peril, and each leading back to the very real, very likely possibility that no matter what you do its going to backfire in a big, big way. Its a good old-fashioned mess, is what this is! And now, you have to make some sort of decision that you can live with.

If the options are as Fake Assad describes them, the best option still seems to be non-intervention. And I don't say that lightly.

What would a no-fly zone achieve, by the way?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:02 pm

David wrote:
I guess this qualifies as black comedy:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/so-whats-it-going-to-be,33662/?ref=auto

Quote:
Ive looked at your options, and Im going to be honest here, I feel for you. Not exactly an embarrassment of riches youve got to choose from, strategy-wise. I mean, my God, there are just so many variables to consider, so many possible paths to choose, each fraught with incredible peril, and each leading back to the very real, very likely possibility that no matter what you do its going to backfire in a big, big way. Its a good old-fashioned mess, is what this is! And now, you have to make some sort of decision that you can live with.

If the options are as Fake Assad describes them, the best option still seems to be non-intervention. And I don't say that lightly.

What would a no-fly zone achieve, by the way?

That's actually a pretty good article for a normally totally satirical site.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:48 pm

watt price tully wrote:
HAL wrote:

look into my eyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkWtcKBjBnk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: