Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Melbourne CBD incident. 6 dead. Many more injured.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about socioeconomics more than anything. More people live in poverty in the west so you associate the western suburbs with crime, drug use and so on. But while poverty, crime and social dysfunction are more heavily concentrated in some places, they of course exist everywhere. No doubt they were a big factor here, too.

stui magpie wrote:
Should he have been in remand instead of on bail? Dunno, I'm not clear on what the charges were. It's not like the Jill Meagher case, that prick was a convicted rapist. He had form. This tool was known to cops but was a minor league player by comparison, until yesterday.

This is a good observation and one that people should consider more often when they criticise the parole board, etc. you can't predict someone's going to turn into a mass murderer just because they already had a record of some kind.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:00 pm

David wrote:
It's all about socioeconomics more than anything. More people live in poverty in the west so you associate the western suburbs with crime, drug use and so on. But while poverty, crime and social dysfunction are more heavily concentrated in some places, they of course exist everywhere. No doubt they were a big factor here, too.

stui magpie wrote:
Should he have been in remand instead of on bail? Dunno, I'm not clear on what the charges were. It's not like the Jill Meagher case, that prick was a convicted rapist. He had form. This tool was known to cops but was a minor league player by comparison, until yesterday.

This is a good observation and one that people should consider more often when they criticise the parole board, etc. you can't predict someone's going to turn into a mass murderer just because they already had a record of some kind.

WTF has the western suburbs got to do with it? he lived in Windsor. You know, Sth yarra, Prahran, St kilda area

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:03 pm

Known to authorities due to his history of family violence and other offences, Mr Gargasoulas had been charged over family violence related offences on January 14 and appeared before an after-hours bail justice who allowed him to walk free despite police opposing his release.

... it is understood the government will consider issues such as whether there needs to be greater oversight of bail justices (who are often volunteers working after hours) and whether granting bail should be much tougher for certain types of offending

He was due to appear in court on Friday but instead absconded, and later used his Holden Commodore to charge through the city, eventually killing four people

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/bourke-street-tragedy-fears-death-toll-could-rise-20170121-gtvzd5.html Twisted Evil

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:05 pm

Really. understood the government will consider issues such as whether [b]there needs to be greater oversight of bail justices who volunteers working after hours[b] and whether granting bail should be much tougher for certain types of offending I was due to appear in court on Friday but absconded and used his Holden Commodore to charge the city killing four people httpwww dottheagedot comdot auvictoriabourke-street-tragedy-fears-death-toll-could-rise-20170121-gtvzd5 are is?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:10 pm

1. We need to be careful not to associate mental illness with violence
2. Stui's earlier assumption that he's probably used methamphetamines (ICE) is more likely on the money in my opinion
2.1. (ICE) use should not mitigate his responsibility
3. Sounds like he was a psychopath & violent man to begin with
4. I think we can ask questions about emergency services but like a lot of what has been written we don't know what actually transpired & how services reacted: A few anecdotes even direct ones does not build a clear overall picture
5. I think we need to wait before apportioning blame to emergency services- t it is too early & too many understandable visceral responses does not make good evidence to assess the overall situation
6. While we're speculating I'm putting money on him being a nasty piece of manure well before this episode & probably had conduct issues as a kid
7. Lots of places in Prahran / Windsor are long standing Greek populated areas well before gentrification & well before the Greeks (so to speak) became rich enough to vote liberal. (same with South Melbourne amongst other places etc)

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:17 pm

^ My money is on BPD compounded with drug use!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:20 pm

^

BPD? Confused

bi Polar disorder?

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:22 pm

^ Borderline personality disorder
David Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:26 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

stui magpie wrote:

WTF has the western suburbs got to do with it? he lived in Windsor. You know, Sth yarra, Prahran, St kilda area

I know, I travel through it every day to get to work! My post was in response to What'sinaname's that this sort of crime is a 'western suburbs' thing.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:26 pm

Morrigu wrote:
^ Borderline personality disorder
I do not understand.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:27 pm

My money is on Sociopath. Those who have an intense dislike & show no remorse about hating sociology Wink

My vote is on Sociopath. Dissocial PD that is the modern term for anti social personality disorder (ASPD) neither of which are defined as a mental illness - just a nasty prick basically.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:28 pm

Morrigu, I may have said this before but, if so, it's worth repeating: the Bail Act operates to create a presumption of bail, except in certain very limited cases. The bail magistrate is, of course, obliged to give effect to the Bail Act have a read through section 4). It is probable that the Act created a presumptive of entitlement to bail that could not be displaced in this case. Also, just because the police "opposed" the grant of bail in this case, you should not assume that their case was sensible or competently put or, most importantly, even capable - as a matter of law - of displacing the entitlement to bail.

My recollection is that the bail (as distinct from parole) problem with Bayley's case was that no-one managed to tell the person making the decision on the bail application about his serious prior convictions (in fact, I don't think the police opposed the grant of bail) - thus he was convicted of an assault at Geelong but appealed immediately and thereupon was granted bail unopposed. The system obviously needed fixing after that - but I didn't see anything to suggest that the wrong decision had been made on the information that was put before the Court.

Thus, tucked away in the part of the text you didn't bold is the real issue - whether the Parliament should amend its Bail Act so that magistrates are required to apply different rules that make it harder for people accused of a wider bunch of serious crimes to get bail.

Last edited by Pies4shaw on Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:29 pm

watt price tully wrote:

2.1. (ICE) use should not mitigate his responsibility
3. Sounds like he was a psychopath & violent man to begin with

I find these curious claims. If he were literally a psychopath, then wouldn't that in some respects mitigate his responsibility? I think it's reasonable to argue that if he was impaired in any way (mental illness, drugs or both) then that does mitigate his responsibility (if not culpability, under our current legal paradigms).

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:32 pm

People Claiming Mental Illness after using Drugs is just stupid.

People should not get Befits and Help when the Reason they are Mentally not Healthy because they Fried there Brains because of Joke.

The Court System need to be harder on them and not easier

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:33 pm

David wrote:

stui magpie wrote:

Same as Frankston

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12   

Jump to: