#12 Matt Scharenberg

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

You need to dream a little bigger. I look at Scharenberg and the player he is likely to become is in the Goddard mould. Not quite key position size, nice kick, reads the play well, started in defence and became a match winner. It took Goddard a long time but he was talked about as being the best player in the league 5 years ago.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

John Wren wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:To be honest, regardless of whether he stays or not, or even whether he's a future gun player, my main worry with him is his lack of emotional engagement with his teammates. Even after such a great win I noticed all the players walking off the ground with their arms around each other and smiling up big, and there was Scharenberg walking behind them all on his own looking like his mum had just died. I honestly know nothing about this kid, other than what I've seen, but it's his lack of passion for/with his teammates which is my biggest worry. That said, he's probably a terrific young kid.
it's often said rehab is a lonely place. i doubt he has spent much time with them. sometimes it takes players a while for them to feel like they belong not only at that level but in the group.
I watched him closely after the game last night. he had a chat with Corey Gregson (former under 18 SA team mate). Grabbed some free footies for the crowd with Moore, Blair and J Marsh and then made the furthest b line to the boundary line. After handing them out he high fived all of the crowd for 150 metres all the way back to the players race. Hence being last into the rooms.

So it was nice to see some passion directed towards the fans at least!
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
rand corp

Post by rand corp »

Very early days for this lad, has a lot ahead of him and I am not going to get too worried just yet.

He is a smart footballer and is going along alright, learning the craft at the highest level, lets see how he is tracking midway through next season.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

John Wren wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:To be honest, regardless of whether he stays or not, or even whether he's a future gun player, my main worry with him is his lack of emotional engagement with his teammates. Even after such a great win I noticed all the players walking off the ground with their arms around each other and smiling up big, and there was Scharenberg walking behind them all on his own looking like his mum had just died. I honestly know nothing about this kid, other than what I've seen, but it's his lack of passion for/with his teammates which is my biggest worry. That said, he's probably a terrific young kid.
it's often said rehab is a lonely place. i doubt he has spent much time with them. sometimes it takes players a while for them to feel like they belong not only at that level but in the group.
His rehab was mostly last year JW. He's played most of this year either in the VFL or recently in the senior team.
Last edited by RudeBoy on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

He's either underdone and playing tentative football because of his knee or playing within himself to safeguard his value for a possible move back to Adelaide.

Buggered if I know which one.

Either way he continues to underwhelm at this stage for such a highly regarded junior talent and appears to hover around the contest to much or not look to take the game on enough through run or damaging disposal.

Look at Menzel.

4 years out of the game and looked like he hadn't missed a beat.

Not writing him off at all but if he stays hopefully we'll see the player he is meant to be next year with a full preseason under his belt.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Redlight

Post by Redlight »

Menzel's return was freakish.

Most players returning from knee injuries take up to twelve months to get back to their best. We won't know much about what Scharenberg is capable of until next year.

I have very high hopes for him.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

^ agree, Redlight. The lad is really just starting out after a horror run with injury. I think he has looked a little more comfortable each time he has run out. It's really hard to judge how good he will be, but there are lots of good judges who rated him among the very best in the draft, and there is still no evidence to refute that.
Two more flags before I die!
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

RudeBoy wrote:
John Wren wrote:
His rehab was mostly last year JW. He's played most of this year either in the VFL or recently in the senior team.
and i point to the the third statement. stop looking for ways to talk him down.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Fire Up

Post by Fire Up »

he has signed a new contract
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

With whom, Fire Up, with whom?
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Fire Up wrote:he has signed a new contract
this is what i heard too.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Neil Appleby

Post by Neil Appleby »

What? He better bloody well not have. Source please?
After the epic draw comes the decisive knockout!
Collingwood rules the world again and Mick Malthouse fulfils his destiny with the twenty ten premiership and can you hear the people sing!
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au
Been liked: 1 time

Post by kymbo5@yahoo.com.au »

Yes I noticed this too. It stood out like the proverbial. Not a great sign, hope we are not reading too much into this.
kymbo
nomadjack

Post by nomadjack »

I noticed it too...maybe just disappointed that his man got off the leash on the night...we'll know soon enough one way or the other...
BJ

Post by BJ »

I'm very confident that he will stay at the pies.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.